Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Forums - 3.8 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 R-Spec V8 > General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion Forum for discussions regarding the Hyundai Genesis Sedan that don't fit specifically anywhere else.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: performance programmer

Old 05-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
View 20124.6's Photo Album

20124.6 is on a distinguished road
Default performance programmer

Remove this ad
When will someone have a performance programer out for the R-spec. i had one for my charger daytona and they are awesome. it got rid of the ESC, change shift points, etc. to maximize performance. Diablo had a great one out for the charger and i would think someone would have one out soon.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:58 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View OneFunGenesis's Photo Album

OneFunGenesis is on a distinguished road
Default Re: performance programmer

We should see if we can get enough people together and contact COBB Tuning and see if they can do something for us. There is a small problem however, that all of our ECU's will be different because of year, package, and engine. Not to mention the 4.6 is out the door for the future.

However, my friend has a WRX with a COBB Tuner on it. He gets 30MPG on cruises and like 12MPG and more boost when he wants it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by staz View Post
Thanks for all your responses regarding the RHF Antenna that I discovered under my Genny. Turns out my car was installed with teletrac at the dealership, and this is just the tracking antenna that the police use to locate the vehicle (kind of like Lo-Jack).
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFunGenesis View Post
I would take it off, hook it up to a small battery and FedEx that bitch around the world
Old 05-28-2012, 11:09 PM
View Capt Steve's Photo Album

Capt Steve is on a distinguished road

The big problem is that there is not enough demand. It takes a lot of effort to reverse engineer the code. Hyundai has not released the code that I know of.

The other problem is that there are not that many R-Specs Genesis sold to begin with. The 5.0 GDI has only been out 2 years. Then assume that only a VERY small percent of those would ever give up the warranty to have a tune done. Remember that most Genesis owners are not going to race their car anyway.

So when you look at the numbers, there is really no good business case to spend that kind of effort for what, maybe 1 or 2 tunes per shop.

It is not like my Corvette where the code is open and a lot of owners have them tuned. That is why there are many shops that can tune the LS engines and transmissions.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
The big problem is that there is not enough demand. It takes a lot of effort to reverse engineer the code. Hyundai has not released the code that I know of.

The other problem is that there are not that many R-Specs Genesis sold to begin with. The 5.0 GDI has only been out 2 years. Then assume that only a VERY small percent of those would ever give up the warranty to have a tune done. Remember that most Genesis owners are not going to race their car anyway.

So when you look at the numbers, there is really no good business case to spend that kind of effort for what, maybe 1 or 2 tunes per shop.

It is not like my Corvette where the code is open and a lot of owners have them tuned. That is why there are many shops that can tune the LS engines and transmissions.
using a hand held programmer you back up the original tune on car. Then you download a pre set tune or do one yourself through the programmer. When you take it to the dealer you put the backup original tune back in and dealer has no idea you tuned it. Did that with my charger for 4 years everytime i took to dealer i took out the tune i did and put original back in car to stock settings.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:03 AM

Also i have seen programmers out there for Grand Marquis and other cars like that, so if they have one i am sure we will get one soon. I mean really who is not going to make one for a car with 430hp just give me one to disengage the esc and i will be happy.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20124.6 View Post
using a hand held programmer you back up the original tune on car. Then you download a pre set tune or do one yourself through the programmer. When you take it to the dealer you put the backup original tune back in and dealer has no idea you tuned it. Did that with my charger for 4 years everytime i took to dealer i took out the tune i did and put original back in car to stock settings.
We use to do this all the time. The problem is that the manufacturers got wise to this.

I don't know if Hyundai does this, but I know on the C6 Corvette, every time you upload a new tune, the check-sum gets changed and recorded in the ECM. If the Chevy dealer checks the check-sum and it does not match what is in their system, they will void the engine warranty.

GM started doing this on their diesel engines first because of the insane HP people were making with tunes and blowing up the engines and transmissions. Now all GM cars have this. If a car comes in with a blown engine or tranny, it is the first thing the regional rep checks before signing off on the engine replacement. So even a "friendly" dealer can't replace an engine or transmission under warranty that has been tuned.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
We use to do this all the time. The problem is that the manufacturers got wise to this.

I don't know if Hyundai does this, but I know on the C6 Corvette, every time you upload a new tune, the check-sum gets changed and recorded in the ECM. If the Chevy dealer checks the check-sum and it does not match what is in their system, they will void the engine warranty.

GM started doing this on their diesel engines first because of the insane HP people were making with tunes and blowing up the engines and transmissions. Now all GM cars have this. If a car comes in with a blown engine or tranny, it is the first thing the regional rep checks before signing off on the engine replacement. So even a "friendly" dealer can't replace an engine or transmission under warranty that has been tuned.

not sure but i never had an issue and everyone on the Dodge forum did it with no issues at dealership.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:00 PM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View maxmar04's Photo Album

maxmar04 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

You're right. the Genesis does monitor if you tune/reflash it/restore back to stock. the computer in this thing practically records EVERYTHING. once they plug their computer in, everything that is not normal is flagged.
completely redone sound system
insulation throughout entire car
20" lexani lx-20
painted brake calipers
15% tint and 50% windshield
lowbeam/fog HIDs (as well as independent fog mod)
blacked out tail lights and mirror side markers
ChromeIntakes CAI
COMPLETE blue LED conversion everywhere (including A/C vents)
White license plate LED's
Underbody LED's

soon to come > paint grill,murder (paint all chrome pieces black)
Old 05-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Supporting Member
View scottdk's Photo Album

scottdk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmar04 View Post
You're right. the Genesis does monitor if you tune/reflash it/restore back to stock. the computer in this thing practically records EVERYTHING. once they plug their computer in, everything that is not normal is flagged.
PINGGOLF (non-participating member for the forum) said that when he did the ESC mod found on this forum, that the computer stored data and the Hyundai tech discovered this info when in for a CEL.

MN Window Tinter

2009 4.6 with Tech package Black on Black
2012 Kia Optima SX 2.0 GDI-t
2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean H6
2006 Sonata LX 3.3L - Sold July 1, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/user/Scott1tothe7

2012 R Spec suspension conversion - Lip spoiler - R Spec wheels with wing emblems - KDM wing airbag - MagnaFlow setup - drilled/slotted rotors - painted grill - 245 45 19 Conti DW tires
Old 05-29-2012, 04:19 PM

Don't know what to tell you did it with my dodge and others with chargers said that the dealership could not tell they had it programmed before. you are taking out the aftermarket program and setting car back to stock. Never once had an issue with the dealership.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:21 PM

it is not like you are keeping the tune in the car, you are completely taking it out and replacing with stock setup. the Dodge computer could not read that it was ever on there. the reason they found the ESC mod is because he left it that way and didnt change back to stock.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20124.6 View Post
Don't know what to tell you did it with my dodge and others with chargers said that the dealership could not tell they had it programmed before. you are taking out the aftermarket program and setting car back to stock. Never once had an issue with the dealership.
Yes, that is true, however, there is a part of the ECM on GM vehicles that record re-flashes. Even though you are putting the original tune back in, the ECM records that it has been re-flashed. I don't know about Dodge, but it is a issue with GM and maybe Hyundai and others.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Drives a Hyundai 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View Gambler's Photo Album

Gambler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes, that is true, however, there is a part of the ECM on GM vehicles that record re-flashes. Even though you are putting the original tune back in, the ECM records that it has been re-flashed. I don't know about Dodge, but it is a issue with GM and maybe Hyundai and others.
This is why I use a separate chip on my Tahoe, I just swap the original back in when I take it to the dealer so they don't overwrite my pro tune. I don't think the Genesis is popular enough to get a programmer made for it, I've looked.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View redrum's Photo Album

redrum is on a distinguished road

Remove this ad
Quote:

OK that is still a theory for the GM gas side, i dont know about diesel because you can run off a standalone and not even touch the ECM.

"counters" or checksums within the ECM programming itself that are changed whenever you flash any part of the tune. But you do know i real tuner can over come very easy.

And i mean come on GM is all about power you can order a corvette and have it tuned by GM performance and still be under warranty. And i know form personal doing it.