Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Forums - 3.8 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 R-Spec V8 > General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion Forum for discussions regarding the Hyundai Genesis Sedan that don't fit specifically anywhere else.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: thinking of it..2009 Genesis

Old 04-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View GenesisRookie's Photo Album

GenesisRookie is on a distinguished road
Default thinking of it..2009 Genesis

Remove this ad
background story
I'm coming off a 2000 VW passat 1.8 turbo. I keep cars a long time (this is only my second car in 23-24 years) Wife total it last week, most important everybody is ok.

I had the car 12 years for 165K, great on gas avg 25 mpg according to computer. I'm not heavy on gas or break pedal. Tires last me 70K michellin's pricey but worth it. Nothing ever went wrong with car that was major plus $1K, original ac, tranny, engine, etc. Just replace mainteance filters (cabin, oil and air), some suppension ball joints, brakes (rear only), etc. Overall not much time in my garage or dealer garage.

So I'm looking at a used 2009 Genesis Sedan 3.8
Are genesis realiable? should I try for a 2010 budget is tight maybe 2010 with more miles ... not sure

Do they eat up tires? Some cars do.

I'm going to be able to go 200K on the car?

gas mileage on 3.8 model ?

does the car handle like a german car (VW handle great super tight) I have never driven a lexus or BMW, MB. But that VW was super tight and responsive
chagning oil easy or pain? on vw was a pain remove under carrige cover, coolant resovior for filter access, pain, not like US car easy.

I see some 2009 with the "H" emblem on the trun lid and some woth the "wings" why is this? Same model car and states 2009 did they change it mid-year?

thanks for the info in advice I know the forums are the best way I belong to a passat forum that was super useful.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Mark_888's Photo Album

Mark_888 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: thinking of it..2009 Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesisRookie View Post
background story
I'm coming off a 2000 VW passat 1.8 turbo. I keep cars a long time (this is only my second car in 23-24 years) Wife total it last week, most important everybody is ok.

I had the car 12 years for 165K, great on gas avg 25 mpg according to computer. I'm not heavy on gas or break pedal. Tires last me 70K michellin's pricey but worth it. Nothing ever went wrong with car that was major plus $1K, original ac, tranny, engine, etc. Just replace mainteance filters (cabin, oil and air), some suspension ball joints, brakes (rear only), etc. Overall not much time in my garage or dealer garage.

So I'm looking at a used 2009 Genesis Sedan 3.8
Are genesis reliable? should I try for a 2010 budget is tight maybe 2010 with more miles ... not sure

Do they eat up tires? Some cars do.

I'm going to be able to go 200K on the car?

gas mileage on 3.8 model ?

does the car handle like a german car (VW handle great super tight) I have never driven a lexus or BMW, MB. But that VW was super tight and responsive
changing oil easy or pain? on vw was a pain remove under carrige cover, coolant resovior for filter access, pain, not like US car easy.

I see some 2009 with the "H" emblem on the trun lid and some woth the "wings" why is this? Same model car and states 2009 did they change it mid-year?

thanks for the info in advice I know the forums are the best way I belong to a passat forum that was super useful.
  • Genesis is basically reliable, but electronics are not so reliable. Make sure you understand 3-tier warranty (and that 10 year - 100K mile warranty on drive train not available on used cars unless CPO).
  • 2010 would be better suspension wise.
  • Genesis ate up OEM Dunlap tires rather fast. Not sure about replacement tires.
  • See EPA ratings for gas mileage.
  • It is not a BMW or VW. Also, Genesis is quite large, so not as responsive as BMW or VW.
  • Very easy to change oil on V6 (prior to 2012).
  • Genesis sold in Korea (KDM version) has wings, so people started importing the wings and replacing the H. Hyundai Motor America is not exactly amused, but not much they can do after sale.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
  • Genesis is basically reliable, but electronics are not so reliable. Make sure you understand 3-tier warranty (and that 10 year - 100K mile warranty on drive train not available on used cars unless CPO).
  • 2010 would be better suspension wise.
  • Genesis ate up OEM Dunlap tires rather fast. Not sure about replacement tires.
  • See EPA ratings for gas mileage.
  • It is not a BMW or VW. Also, Genesis is quite large, so not as responsive as BMW or VW.
  • Very easy to change oil on V6 (prior to 2012).
  • Genesis sold in Korea (KDM version) has wings, so people started importing the wings and replacing the H. Hyundai Motor America is not exactly amused, but not much they can do after sale.
Where can I find out more about 3-tier warranty?
Is there a difference once made in Korea to US? I know with VW there was a huge problem between ones made in Germany (like mine) oppose to mexico (problematic)
Old 04-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Supporting Member
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View scottdk's Photo Album

scottdk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Where can I find out more about 3-tier warranty?
Is there a difference once made in Korea to US? I know with VW there was a huge problem between ones made in Germany (like mine) oppose to mexico (problematic)
New the Genesis has a 100,000/10 year powertrain warranty and 5 year/60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty and a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty for the electronics such as the head unit for the radio/DVD etc.

All Genesis sedans are currently built in Korea

2009 4.6 with Tech package Black on Black
2012 Kia Optima SX 2.0 GDI-t
2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean H6
2006 Sonata LX 3.3L - Sold July 1, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/user/Scott1tothe7

2012 R Spec suspension conversion - Uniq rigid collars - Lip spoiler - R Spec wheels with wing emblems - KDM wing airbag - MagnaFlow setup - drilled/slotted rotors - painted grill - 245 45 19 Conti DW tires
Old 04-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
View Ruissimo's Photo Album

Ruissimo is on a distinguished road

I came from an '02 Passat GLX Motion myself.

Unlike your experience, my VW was a NIGHTMARE on wheels! I couldn't wait to trade it.

Handling is basically on par with the Passat, I think. The Passat was a very solid-feeling car in its own right. This one feels just as solid, and heavier too. The driving dynamics are very different from my AWD VW. But there is no comparison in power - this thing is a beast.

Your car runs 0-60 in the 8's. The Genny will run it in the 5's.

The seats are way more comfortable than the VW's. If you had leather, again, no comparison; these are buttery-smooth compared to the harsh leather in the Passat.

I can't comment on gas mileage, since I had a 2.8L - but my 5.0L R Spec gets basically the same mpg as that engine. I NEVER got over 18mpg on my Passat - in 10 years of driving it! Been averaging 17 and change on the R Spec. The 3.8L Genny will get you around 21mpg combined, probably closer to 30mpg on the highway.

Considering I paid $33k for the VW 10 years ago, $41k for the Genesis was a bargain, especially with all the extra safety and tech features. Since you're buying used, you're gonna get even more bang for your buck.

I can't tell you about reliability, since I've only owned the Genesis for a couple months. However, see this article: http://www.lctmag.com/vehicles/news/...dability-study

And since my experience with VW service was so bad... I doubt very much that Hyundai can be worse. Even if the number of service trips is the same, the parts cost is far, far cheaper.

Do yourself a favor - go test drive the car a couple of times... and read through these forums. I lurked on here for a year and a half and learned everything I needed to know before I spent my hard-earned money.

Here's my 400 mile review of the Genesis, in case you are interested: http://www.genesisowners.com/hyundai...ead.php?t=9108

GOOD LUCK!

2012 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R Spec Black / Black Click here for album
(KDM Badges front/rear/wheels/steering wheel, sticker for now 35% Tint)
Old 04-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View STREETS's Photo Album

STREETS is on a distinguished road

Search for a 2010 or newer. As MARK888 points out- the 2009's suspension is quirky and unsettled over bumps and changes in road surfaces. I didn't realize how much of its nervous traits until I drove my dads 2001 Lexus LS430 Touring 107,000 miles with balding Bridgestone Serenity tires. That car was more planted and had less wheel hope and chassis control then my Genesis with fresh tread and almost 50K less on the clock.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruissimo View Post
I came from an '02 Passat GLX Motion myself.

Unlike your experience, my VW was a NIGHTMARE on wheels! I couldn't wait to trade it.

Handling is basically on par with the Passat, I think. The Passat was a very solid-feeling car in its own right. This one feels just as solid, and heavier too. The driving dynamics are very different from my AWD VW. But there is no comparison in power - this thing is a beast.

Your car runs 0-60 in the 8's. The Genny will run it in the 5's.

The seats are way more comfortable than the VW's. If you had leather, again, no comparison; these are buttery-smooth compared to the harsh leather in the Passat.

I can't comment on gas mileage, since I had a 2.8L - but my 5.0L R Spec gets basically the same mpg as that engine. I NEVER got over 18mpg on my Passat - in 10 years of driving it! Been averaging 17 and change on the R Spec. The 3.8L Genny will get you around 21mpg combined, probably closer to 30mpg on the highway.

Considering I paid $33k for the VW 10 years ago, $41k for the Genesis was a bargain, especially with all the extra safety and tech features. Since you're buying used, you're gonna get even more bang for your buck.

I can't tell you about reliability, since I've only owned the Genesis for a couple months. However, see this article: http://www.lctmag.com/vehicles/news/...dability-study

And since my experience with VW service was so bad... I doubt very much that Hyundai can be worse. Even if the number of service trips is the same, the parts cost is far, far cheaper.

Do yourself a favor - go test drive the car a couple of times... and read through these forums. I lurked on here for a year and a half and learned everything I needed to know before I spent my hard-earned money.

Here's my 400 mile review of the Genesis, in case you are interested: http://www.genesisowners.com/hyundai...ead.php?t=9108

GOOD LUCK!
thanks for the info your VW story is very comon is the ONLY reason I'm not wiling at this point to buy another VW passat.

quick question why some genesis have the "wing" emblems others have "H" "wing" are way more sexy better looking can they be swapped out incase the used car I get has "H"?
Old 04-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View CanukV6's Photo Album

CanukV6 is on a distinguished road

The Genesis is a great car but as mentioned, the electronics can be problematic. In my experience, my 2009 was great in that regard so I think if they are going to be an issue they will usually show up during the first couple of years. If you can get a good 2009 with some sort of warranty that covers everything, I would definitely pay the extra. The ride is very dependent upon the tires fitted. The OEM Dunlops were terrible and wore quickly. I put Continental DWS on mine and they improved the ride (although it was still not Lexus smooth) and they wore very well. Talking of tires, be sure to budget for a set of winter tires and rims. You may have not needed them with your FWD Passat but if you live anywhere that gets winter weather they are a must on a RWD Genesis. The gas mileage is great for a car of its size and power.

The H vs Wings is a personal choice and it is easy to change them out if you wish.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:00 PM
View Platgen's Photo Album

Platgen is on a distinguished road

I have a 2010 V6 base model. The car has limited electronics but does have bluetooth and satellite radio. Both work well. The base does not have an electronic telescoping steering column that some owners have had some problems. The base does not have driver seat that has memory. The upper end radios are not on the base model although the base has usb and IPOD integration. Some owners want the surround sound and DVD-A features of the higher end radios. If you do not personally care, then you may want to consider the base model. This is the model without a sunroof. The base also has 17 inch wheels. The tires have worn well so far at about 23,000 miles.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:07 PM
View Mark_888's Photo Album

Mark_888 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
quick question why some genesis have the "wing" emblems others have "H" "wing" are way more sexy better looking can they be swapped out incase the used car I get has "H"?
I answered that question in my post above.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:45 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
View Ruissimo's Photo Album

Ruissimo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
thanks for the info your VW story is very comon is the ONLY reason I'm not wiling at this point to buy another VW passat.

The 2002 was a very solid car, but mine, mechanically, was just garbage.

The sad thing is, over the years, I got to drive pretty much all the model year Passats when my car was in the shop. They have been getting cheaper-feeling and cheaper-feeling with every redesign, it seems.

They may hold up a little better mechanically, but the materials and overall feel has gone down in my opinion.

To answer your question, all US Genesis sedans come with a lazy H badge on the rear trunk lid and on the wheel center caps. No badge on the hood.

Some of us go to ebay (and other sites) and order the OEM Korean badges (the wings) - we then swap them out. It's easy to do.

2012 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R Spec Black / Black Click here for album
(KDM Badges front/rear/wheels/steering wheel, sticker for now 35% Tint)
Old 07-08-2012, 04:51 PM
View sczac's Photo Album

sczac is on a distinguished road

VW is making some pretty nice cars these days, I just came from a 2010 VW CC before I bought my 09 4.6 last week. The Genny is a much nice car, but the suspension is garbage compared to my CC and I am a lil' dissapointed with fuel economy, but that's what happens when you go from a 2.0 to a 4.6 sized motor.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:47 PM
View robcar's Photo Album

robcar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukV6 View Post
The Genesis is a great car but as mentioned, the electronics can be problematic. In my experience, my 2009 was great in that regard so I think if they are going to be an issue they will usually show up during the first couple of years. If you can get a good 2009 with some sort of warranty that covers everything, I would definitely pay the extra. The ride is very dependent upon the tires fitted. The OEM Dunlops were terrible and wore quickly. I put Continental DWS on mine and they improved the ride (although it was still not Lexus smooth) and they wore very well. Talking of tires, be sure to budget for a set of winter tires and rims. You may have not needed them with your FWD Passat but if you live anywhere that gets winter weather they are a must on a RWD Genesis. The gas mileage is great for a car of its size and power.

The H vs Wings is a personal choice and it is easy to change them out if you wish.
I, too, replaced the OEM Dunlop tires with Continental DWS and this improved the ride dramatically on my 2010. Conti DWS also have the best All-Season tread that perform well in the snow.