Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Forums - 3.8 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 R-Spec V8 > Wheels, Tires, Detailing and Appearance Modifications
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

Wheels, Tires, Detailing and Appearance Modifications Discussions regarding wheels, tires, detailing and interior/exterior modifications.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: Oil change

Old 04-05-2012, 12:28 AM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Nomis's Photo Album

Nomis is on a distinguished road
Default Oil change

Remove this ad
I have the 2012 genesis with a 3.8.

The manual says to change the oil and filter every 7500 miles.

I plan to keep this car for many years and want to get a couple hundred thousand miles out of the engine.

So I'm planning on taking it into a quick oil change garage every 3,500 miles.
Anything wrong with this logic? Or I'm I just wasting money and time?

Thanks for your input

Old 04-05-2012, 12:39 AM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View Philth's Photo Album

Philth is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oil change

7,500 is for normal driving. Look closer and you'll see a schedule for 3,750 mile changes under severe service.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:57 AM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Mark_888's Photo Album

Mark_888 will become famous soon enough

IMO, using a full synthetic at your first oil change interval (and thereafter every 7500 miles) would be better than changing the oil every 3,500 miles with conventional oil. But it wouldn't hurt to do synthetic oil changes every 5000 miles if you are more comfortable with that.

Also, don't expect you local oil change shop to have the correct filter (not a common filter). Either bring your own filter or have the dealer change the oil (but you will not be able to see if the dealer really uses synthetic even if you requested it).
Old 04-05-2012, 04:36 AM
View PMCErnie's Photo Album

PMCErnie is on a distinguished road

Too many horror stories about Jiffy Lube, etc. Suggest you stick with your Hyundai dealer during the bumper to bumper warranty period. Establish a relationship. And yes, 3,750 is much too often unless you are pulling a trailer, driving in dust, or creeping along in inner-city traffic all day long.

Mods/Accessories: Trunk wings, wheel cap wings, chrome side trim, illuminated door sills, mud guards, all-weather winter floor mats and trunk cargo mat. Llumar Air Blue 80 ceramic tint. Custom-made left foot rest/dead pedal.

- 2014 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T AWD (wife)
Old 04-05-2012, 01:31 PM
View STREETS's Photo Album

STREETS is on a distinguished road

If you change your own- especially V6- jacking the drivers side up as high as possible will drain a significant amount more oil out from the drain hole. Also blow down the fill hole ( I am serious-) will get more out! If you let it drain flat- there will be 1/4 QT still in the motor.
Just changed mine yesterday- let it go a little long- 9,000 miles on Pennzoil Ultimate Synthetic- my main choice- or Mobil 1 5W30
Old 04-06-2012, 06:04 AM
View Vinnie's Photo Album

Vinnie is on a distinguished road

Will suggest you stick with the recommended interval and use synthetic for the following reason beside what other Posters have suggested:
1) Pulling into one of these oil-bays is an opportunity for error during the oil change (incorrect torque, plastic tab breakage, etc.). i.e. The fewest visit that afford your vehicle a reasonable level of maintenance should be desired. 2) The synthetic will provide an extra margin of protection if you have concern about the relative severity of your actual driving conditions compared to what the owner's manual recommend.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:51 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
View newman's Photo Album

newman is on a distinguished road

I have posted this before but as I really dig the product I am going to plug it again (and yes, pun was very much intended).

To make changing oil faster and easier, and to avoid stripping the threads on your oil pan, and to never have to worry about over torquing the oil plug, I recommend installing a Fumoto valve:

Link:
http://www.qwikvalve.com/homec.php

Picture attached.

Cheers,
Newman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fumoto Valve.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	1837  
Old 04-06-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newman View Post
I have posted this before but as I really dig the product I am going to plug it again (and yes, pun was very much intended).

To make changing oil faster and easier, and to avoid stripping the threads on your oil pan, and to never have to worry about over torquing the oil plug, I recommend installing a Fumoto valve:

Link:
http://www.qwikvalve.com/homec.php

Picture attached.

Cheers,
Newman
I like it. Which model would you suggest? I see they have an "L" drain tube now.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philth View Post
I like it. Which model would you suggest? I see they have an "L" drain tube now.
I use the standard straight model and it works perfectly for me.

Another benefit that I forgot - I you overfill a tad you can remove only what you need cleanly with no fuss.

Cheers
Newman
Old 04-07-2012, 12:36 AM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View CamarilloBrillo's Photo Album

CamarilloBrillo is on a distinguished road

I used a ball-valve on my riding lawn mower and it was the best ting I ever did. I'm not recommending that for a car but the idea of a valve is awesome but it can't vibrate open.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newman View Post
I use the standard straight model and it works perfectly for me.

Another benefit that I forgot - I you overfill a tad you can remove only what you need cleanly with no fuss.

Cheers
Newman
Sweet. So just the standard F106 valve with no hose or anything to attach to it?
Old 04-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View radicaltimes's Photo Album

radicaltimes is on a distinguished road

i have the dealer change mine at 5000 miles, I keep my cars for a long time . If you go ove 7500 miles between oil changes and there is a problem with the motor your 100,000 warranty might be void. Also keep good records too prove that yoou did your oil changes.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philth View Post
Sweet. So just the standard F106 valve with no hose or anything to attach to it?
Correct - that is what I have installed. The hose type might be nice to fine-tune the flow of oil into the drain pan. The standard F106 works just fine for me.

Cheers,
Newman
Old 07-24-2012, 12:20 PM
View hhberry's Photo Album

hhberry is on a distinguished road

Remove this ad
If your car is operated on dirt roads or in city stop and go traffic lights and traffic congestion
I would use the severe service recommendation of 3500 miles. If I changed my oil before a
4 week long trip of 15000 miles I would not change oil until I returned home, because it all highway driving. I change my oil with regular driving at about 5000 miles.
I am 82 years old and I having been changing my oil since I was 16 years old. I have had several cars with 200,000 miles with out problems. I currently have a 1998 Camry with 210,000 and it sill does not use oil between oil changes.
Thanks Bill
Old 03-24-2013, 12:29 PM
View lwmtasc's Photo Album

lwmtasc is on a distinguished road

Good luck with a "quick change". Most do not have the correct filter and some do not want to fool with the oil change procedure. I have a 2013 3.8 and Quick Lube person could not even find the filter, (which is hidden under the skid plate). They told me to take it back to the dealer. It's not just a typical spin off filter, conveniently hanging off the engine.