Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Coupe Forums - 2.0T and 3.8 V6 > Hyundai Genesis Coupe Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

Hyundai Genesis Coupe Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics Discussions regarding satellite/stereo and electrical systems including GPS navigation and bluetooth.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: XM NavTraffic and Radio IDs

Old 06-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View SouthernKnight's Photo Album

SouthernKnight is on a distinguished road
Default XM NavTraffic and Radio IDs

Remove this ad
I bought my Genesis 4.6 a little over a month ago and have yet to see any traffic appear on my nav system despite knowing that XM traffic is available in Nashville and is supposed to be included in my 3 month trial. I called XM about this on May 27 and they have been little to no help. I also contacted my dealer and they just tried resending a signal to the radio to fix it - again no help.

I called XM back for the 4th time tonight and this time the representative told me that I should have 2 radio ids for my XM - one for the radio and one for the traffic. Is that true? Does anyone else see 2 radio ids listed on XM channel 0 (I assume that is where I would see both ids)? If so, did my dealer not do something before delivering the car to me and is there anything that I can do to fix it so that my traffic will work?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Drives a Hyundai Equus Signature
View NOLa's Photo Album

NOLa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: XM NavTraffic and Radio IDs

I don't know how they stay in business.

On my 2011 Genesis, I was maybe a month into the three month trial when the the radio and nav/traffic was shut off. I called XM (the # on the radio) and got routed to some phone bank in another country and could barely understand the customer service rep.

First she said I had no free trial, which I disputed, then I got the XM back but not the nav/traffic. I called back and she said my car was not capable of getting nav/traffic...umm, how is it I had it for a month.

After the free trial, my husband went to add my car to the plan he had and expressly said he wanted the nav/traffic on my car. Not only did I not get nav/traffic, but then his nav traffic disappeared.

He cancelled the plan on my car telling them it was because of all of the above (I was trading in the car, but it was a chance to make them think they lost me because of poor customer service). Out of nowhere, his nav/traffic reappears.

I get the Equus and the free trial has just expired, and he tried to add me to the plan, (same foreign heavily accented hard to understand customer service) they again said my car was incapable of receiving nav/traffic when I
had it during the trial.

Customer service guy then said, oh you have a six month trial period that you haven't activated, so he said OK activate it. Of course, it hasn't been.

Have you ever heard of a company that has a customer willing to pay for service and a company that won't let them buy what they are trying to sell?

NOLa

Oops! To answer your question, no you don't need two radio IDs.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Wordman's Photo Album

Wordman is on a distinguished road

I got my second Genesis in October '10. The XM and Nav Traffic stopped working a couple of weeks ago - the same time as a lot of people on this forum, apparently.

I called XM to reactivate with the radio ID. Firstly, I got routed to Sirius, since I have a lifetime Sirius account from a previous car, which I did not want to cancel (obviously). Although Sirius and XM are now one company, they still maintain two separate billing and technical centers, it seems.

Having got to XM, they also told me that my radio was not capable of NavTraffic. Duh. Reading between the lines, it may be that my dealer had the car on a "demo" license, and did not transfer it to a "free trial" license. I finally got through to a technical guy, who was able to send a reset signal to the radio and enable NavTraffic. This whole process took about two hours.

They clearly need to improve their customer service. If you have both a Sirius account and an XM account, it is very confusing, and the interactive phone system just doesn't allow for this. For example, the first question, "Are you calling from the phone number associated with your account?" consistently routes me to Sirius.

At least it is now working. Sigh.
Previously: 2011 Genesis V6 Tech, White Satin Pearl + Cashmere; 2009 Genesis V6 Tech, White Satin Pearl + Cashmere
Old 06-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Supporting Member
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Black Rocket 3.8's Photo Album

Black Rocket 3.8 is on a distinguished road

I've had a similar experience with XM recently that may shed some light on the problems you have been having. I have a 2010 Genesis w/tech package. During the trial period both XM and the nav/traffic were active. The dealer had registered the radio with XM and the activation went without a hitch. This was in January 2010. After the trial period I signed up for the XM and nav/traffic and the service continued. Then, in April 2011 the nav/traffic disappeared. After six calls to six different representatives, I finally was connected to one who knew how to solve the problem. XM changed their radio plans in April 2011. My previous plan did not include nav/traffic. The representative saw that I had paid for the nav/traffic for a year and I should not of lost the service even though it was now not included in my plan. He changed my plan without charge and to compensate me for my trouble, extended my plan for an additional year without charge. He indicated that when they changed their plan structure, it created numerous problems with their system and inconvenienced many of their customers. The representative indicated that they are working hard to correct the problems with their customers. At least in my case they were successful. Talk to them about what plan you have and what it includes. That may help to solve your problem.

There are other threads on the forum that have a wealth of information about XM. It may be useful for you to read those so you know what to expect from the nav/traffic feature on XM. I have not found it particularly useful. It is dependent on what the local/state DMVs make available to the general public as to traffic conditions/alerts/ road construction, etc. Some states don't provide any information, as I have found in S.C. Others do a great job of keeping things up to date. Good luck and I hope you can find a representative that can help you.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:47 AM
View NOLa's Photo Album

Well, Wordman, you were quite lucky to get to someone who knows what they are doing...

In an attempt at brevity of my already long first post, I left out the fact that they were going to submit a "trouble ticket" and would get back to me in 72 hours...they didn't. I really had to be insistent to even get that response. Looking back, they probably did that just to get rid of me.

My husband called after that and was told they would do as above, but this time they said it would take 10 days and they would get back to him...they didn't.

NOLa

Black Rocket, we posted at the same time. The problems with my Genesis occurred in 2010 which I traded in Jan 2011, and are seeming to repeat with the Equus. With me, the customer service refuses to acknowledge that my cars have any capability to receive the nav/traffic. You can't fix it when you deny it is even an option on your vehicle. Right off the bat, that is the canned response, which of course is so absurd when up until that point, I had nav/traffic.

Last edited by NOLa; 06-22-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:53 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Wordman's Photo Album

Wordman is on a distinguished road

Well, they're not going to improve while they have a captive audience. If you get a Genesis (or any other vehicle) with built-in GPS navigation and XM NavTraffic, what are you going to do? Not bother to renew? Living in SoCal, NavTraffic is one of the best features when driving on our crazy freeways, so of course I wanted to renew.

(@NOLa: apparently, I was lucky. I didn't think so at the time, but compared to the experience of others...)
Previously: 2011 Genesis V6 Tech, White Satin Pearl + Cashmere; 2009 Genesis V6 Tech, White Satin Pearl + Cashmere
Old 06-28-2011, 07:30 AM

Ok, now that all the XM bashing is done can anyone actually answer the questions I asked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernKnight View Post
the representative told me that I should have 2 radio ids for my XM - one for the radio and one for the traffic. Is that true? Does anyone else see 2 radio ids listed on XM channel 0 (I assume that is where I would see both ids)? If so, did my dealer not do something before delivering the car to me and is there anything that I can do to fix it so that my traffic will work?
Old 06-28-2011, 11:58 AM
View NOLa's Photo Album

I did on my first response-see the PS?

NOLa
Old 06-29-2011, 07:24 AM

Thanks. Didn't see that the first time I read it, sorry.