Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Forums - 3.8 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 R-Spec V8 > General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion Forum for discussions regarding the Hyundai Genesis Sedan that don't fit specifically anywhere else.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: Clicking sound when accelerating - 2010- 4.6 tech pkg.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:16 AM
Drives a Hyundai 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View Dano4.6's Photo Album

Dano4.6 is on a distinguished road
Default Clicking sound when accelerating - 2010- 4.6 tech pkg.

Remove this ad
I always hear short clicking sound (from transmission and or drive shaft) when accelerating (not flooring it) from a stop on level ground, and its more pronounced and longer duration when accelerating up hill/incline. only happens for a second or two but can always hear it clicking. seems to be associated with 1st gear as its never heard in any other gear or while decelerating... Has anyone experienced the same, if so what did you do to get if fixed?

Old 12-24-2010, 02:40 AM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View homeofstone's Photo Album

homeofstone is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Clicking sound when accelerating - 2010- 4.6 tech pkg.

Could be an fuel injector.
2005 Mercedes E500 w/sport pkg.
2013 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD
1965 Ford Mustang 289cid V8 restored
Old 12-24-2010, 06:54 AM
View juryduty's Photo Album

juryduty is on a distinguished road

Yep I also have a 2010 4.6 and know the problem you are describing. It is usually on hard acceleration and seems to come from the center of the car. I have not taken in mine to the dealer yet, but I believe it is related to the drive shaft (from reading other posts here). Do you have a consistent way to reproduce it? I have been delaying taking it in because I want to wait until I have a reliable way I can show the mechanic.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:03 AM

Hey Juryduty - Yes under moderate acceleration I can always hear it and it sounds like its right under the center console armrest. if I slowly accelerate and let it shift into 2nd I never hear it. I've taken it to the dealer back in October and they say they can't reproduce problem. Service Manager said they checked the drivel line and re-torqued all the bolts to specification. I've made another appointment for Monday and will be sure to take them on a test drive as its easily reproducible.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:48 AM

Cool, let us know how it goes at the dealer. I read a couple of posts here that said there is a fix that involves adding an additional washer to the drive shaft so it is straighter.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:49 AM

After 8 days in the service dept. appears they possibly fixed the problem. Here's what's written up on the service invoice: "customer states vibration and clatter noise coming from in first gear on takeoff. Cause: vibration caused by driveline angle. techline case #4234075 and TSB#10-01-020-1. Ordered parts and started to perform TSB but vehicle already had updated parts" Here are the corrective actions taken per invoice which are different from what the TSB calls for - "removed drive driveshaft from another vehicle and installed in cust's w/shims, tried 2 shims and vibration was worse, removed heat shield- vibration still there, removed shims and rotated center support-vibration worse. tried w/1 shim and center support upside-down still hits shield. rotated center support to original position without shims centered supp bolts holes and hand torqued bolts - test drove and vibration was gone. installed drive shaft back into new veh. - drove customer vehicle total 42 miles" I won't be not totally convinced it's truly fixed until I clock several hundred miles on the car.

Here's yet another problem, again with the power tilt steering - I start up the car Monday to drop the car off for the vibration and clatter noise coming from driveshaft/transmission. I quickly noticed the tilt steering is broke again for the 4th time. So in addition to the vibration and clatter noise coming from driveshaft/transmission the steering tilt goes out again. So the fix for this, so I'm told again, is that a new updated module cable was installed.

I bought this car in June and since June 2010 to December 2010, I've had this car in 4 times for tilt steering being broke. 1st time - they reset tilt module (4days). 2nd time - they replaced module cable with an updated version (5 days). 3rd time - they replaced steering column and module cable (5 days). 4th time - they replaced module cable with yet another updated version (8 days). Nevertheless, at this time I have little confidence the tilt steering is truly corrected/fixed. Aware of the Georgia's lemon law (three repair attempts for the same defect) I have registered this same repeat problem with GA consumer affairs office. I also contacted Hyundai USA consumer affairs and case #4233959 was raised. I was told that Hyundai regional division office would be contacting me in 5 business days. Well its now 7 business days and I've yet to hear from Hyundai's regional division office. The next step for me is to submit a "final repair opportunity notice" to Hyundai.

Here's a summary of my 2010 Genesis 4.6 fault history; in less than 6 months: 4x failures with tilt steering, 1x driver seat sever noise when adjusting backwards- replaced seat rail, 2x reported problem with driveshaft/transmission noise - 1st time service department could not replicate reported problem. 2nd time a different corrective action than what is called for in TSB# TSB#10-01-020-1 was applied since my car already had the updated parts as called for in TSB.

Whoa!!! This is my 2nd Hyundai car. No problems what so ever with my 2006 Azera (46K miles), but wanted a SUV so I traded it for 2007 4runner which has been flawless. Then in 2010 I traded my wife's 2007 (problem free) Acura RDX for the 2010 Genesis. I'm still holding out hope I haven't been burned in my decision in getting a Genesis.... ???

I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by Dano4.6; 01-08-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:43 AM

Thanks for the update on this! Based on what you've described it's almost not worth dealing with. The clicking sound (at least on my vehicle) is very intermittent and only occurs during hard acceleration and seems to be a little worse when it's cold. I live in California so that's not very often. I too have the seat-rail clicking problem but have not yet brought it in.

Do keep us posted whether this fixed the vibration problem!
Old 01-12-2011, 02:49 PM
View The Doc's Photo Album

The Doc is on a distinguished road

Same thing - clicking sound for about one to two seconds. When it does happen it seems to come from directly under the console. Sometimes can feel it/sometimes not. Each time has been at 10 - 15 mph. I was out of town for a week not driving the car and for the first 3 days back I heard nothing. Dealer could find nothing wrong to cause this.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:39 PM

Back in the shop today for an unrelated minor problem (check engine light at 15K which required a computer update) and mentioned this again. They are replacing propeller shaft assembly tomorrow. I'll post whether it solves the problem.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Rey's Photo Album

Rey is on a distinguished road

The sound may be from the exhaust pipes hitting the chassis. Under hard acceleration the motor wants to twist on its motor mounts. This twisting action is suppressed by the motor mounts, but the motor mounts are somewhat soft to absorb vibration so some twisting is imparted to the exhaust system.

Production vehicles vary a bit. A friend manufactures headers for GM cars. Typically, he finds his headers do not fit some customer cars just due to production variances. This could mean that exhaust clearances on some Genesis are too tight. If the exhaust is hitting the chassis there may be tell-tale marks on the exhaust/chassis. The fix can be very simple - just a few shims.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:43 PM

Happy guy here! Drive shaft replacement did the trick. Service tech said he had not seen it before, but problem was excessive drive shaft vibration. Also a happy guy because I'm out of my Sonata loaner and back in my Genesis. Sonata was OK and 15 years ago I may have enjoyed it more, but I'm loving having my car back!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:49 AM
View FXscalper's Photo Album

FXscalper is on a distinguished road

Same here... Clicking sound in 1st gear... Dealer told me they all do this sound will go back and bring TSB number so they check it this time.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:28 PM
View tarche's Photo Album

tarche is on a distinguished road

I had the same issue. On my 2010 it was obvious and could easily be reproduced. From a dead stop, as I accelerated from 10 thru 15 mph, I'd hear and feel the clicking under the center console. It took two visits to fix. The first was for the official TSB washer installation. The service tech himself wasn't satisfied with that as it made the problem even more obvious, so he ordered a new driveshaft. That did the trick. Haven't heard/felt anything since.