Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Forums - 3.8 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 R-Spec V8 > General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion Forum for discussions regarding the Hyundai Genesis Sedan that don't fit specifically anywhere else.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: Genny Sedan Depreciation
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-13-2010, 07:01 PM
cschuler cschuler is offline
Senior Member
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View cschuler's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Naples, FL
Age: 72
Posts: 234
cschuler is on a distinguished road
Default Genny Sedan Depreciation

Remove this ad
Been doing some depreciation calculations and it seems that the Genny sedan that I leased (a 2010 at about 38 k new) will depreciate over three years as follows: 6k, 4k, 4k.

Does that seem reasonable? Many in this group seem to have a sense of Genny fair prices and reasonable depreciation.
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 12-13-2010, 10:18 PM
brihvac's Avatar
brihvac brihvac is offline
Senior Member
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View brihvac's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Delaware
Age: 40
Posts: 157
brihvac is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Genny Sedan Depreciation

You bought a Hyundai people...what did you expect.

As much as people compare to BMW, Mercedes, etc.....Reality is ITS A HYUNDAI. They do not hold their value anywhere near big name luxury cars.

I traded a 04 E320 4matic for mine. The dealer lowered my car from $36,130 to $31,000. Then gave me $18K for my Mercedes that I had bought 3 months prior for $14K. With them giving me $4K more than what I paid for the Benz, I looked at it as I got that much more off the Genesis.

I like my Genesis, but it definitely is not my old Mercedes.
__________________
09 Genesis 3.8, Premium Package Plus, Cabernet Red Pearl, Beige leather
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-14-2010, 12:04 AM
STREETS STREETS is offline
Senior Member
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View STREETS's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Connecticut
Age: 49
Posts: 763
STREETS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Genny Sedan Depreciation

Mercedes lose tons of value..remember it starts so much higher
__________________
Owner Genesis 3.8 TECH White/Cashmere with Genesis Wing replacement inside-out, LEDs
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-14-2010, 10:06 AM
crhbobby crhbobby is offline
Senior Member
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View crhbobby's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Indiana
Age: 30
Posts: 192
crhbobby is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Genny Sedan Depreciation

Those numbers may be true from a retail standpoint.

I would estimate that the first year depreciation to be more like 10K. Then perhaps slow to 5-6K per year.

I bought my car V6 Tech used September 09 for 31,500. The trade in value that day was probably 27-28K. So lets say the car was 38K new..thats nearly 10K in depreciation.
Today - after owning the car a year, I would expect my car to be traded in for 22-23K. 5-6K in depreciation.

The first year is always a killer. I think that when the supply of off lease cars increases - the value of a used Genesis will drop as supply increases.

When I looked at depreciation rates of BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac, etc - they initial depreciation rates were just as bad. That is why I like to buy 1-2 year old well maintained cars. It allows me to afford a nicer car

These are just my opinions.

Bob
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-14-2010, 11:56 AM
STREETS STREETS is offline
Senior Member
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View STREETS's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Connecticut
Age: 49
Posts: 763
STREETS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Genny Sedan Depreciation

How many miles where on your V6Tech at purchase?
__________________
Owner Genesis 3.8 TECH White/Cashmere with Genesis Wing replacement inside-out, LEDs
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-14-2010, 06:15 PM
imaphaetonguy's Avatar
imaphaetonguy imaphaetonguy is offline
Member
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View imaphaetonguy's Photo Album
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 64
imaphaetonguy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Genny Sedan Depreciation

Just bought a '09 Genesis sedan 3.8 V6 Prem. & Tech pkg. with 10,100 miles for $26,900. MSRP was $40,100.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-14-2010, 07:09 PM
Casey Casey is offline
Junior Member
Drives a Hyundai 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View Casey's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Age: 41
Posts: 2
Casey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Genny Sedan Depreciation

KBB estimates resale values, the link below is for the 2010 3.8, I've copied some comparisons of

2010 Genesis 3.8

New 100% $33,000.00
year 2 49% $16,170.00
year 3 38% $12,540.00
year 4 30% $9,900.00
year 5 24% $7,920.00

compared to a 2010 Lexus ES350

New 100% $35,175.00
2 56% $19,698.00
3 47% $16,532.25
4 38% $13,366.50
5 30% $10,552.50

compared to a 2010 Mercedes C 300 sport

New 100% $33,600.00
2 58% $19,488.00
3 47% $15,792.00
4 38% $12,768.00
5 30% $10,080.00

compared to a 2010 BMW 528

New 100% $45,950.00
2 53% $24,353.50
3 43% $19,758.50
4 34% $15,623.00
5 25% $11,487.50

or a 2010 Ford Taurus Limited

New 100% $31,770.00
2 48% $15,249.60
3 39% $12,390.30
4 32% $10,166.40
5 26% $8,260.20


http://www.kbb.com/new-cars/hyundai/...alue?id=262058
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-14-2010, 09:49 PM
brihvac's Avatar
brihvac brihvac is offline
Senior Member
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View brihvac's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Delaware
Age: 40
Posts: 157
brihvac is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Genny Sedan Depreciation

Quote:
Originally Posted by STREETS View Post
Mercedes lose tons of value..remember it starts so much higher
Not as much as a Hyundai. I have had 1 new Mercedes and 2 used. Lost very little on the new one (sold almost 2 years after bought), drove the 2nd one for 2 years and 20K miles broke even, and made money on the last.

I dont pay sticker price for any auto. I always beat the dealer down and play all the dealers against each other. I have a car and truck and replace one a year. One year I get a new truck and the next I get a new car. So when I go into the dealer they know I dont screw around and I will walk out the door and buy from another dealer if their price is even $100 cheaper. I have owned 5 new Hyundai's including the Genesis since 2000. I have delt with the same sales manager (differant dealers)since 2000. He knows how I am and that if he takes care of me I will keep coming back to him. There is no salesman getting up a million times to talk to his manager. He knows if Im there Im buying within a week and I will walk if he doesnt get me the best deal possible. From what he has told me, at his dealerships they are alowed to sell 3 cars a month at a deeper discount than normal. The last 3 I bought I got with this discount. I priced a 2004 Elantra at 3 differant dealerships and 2 of them went down too the same price. I mean to the dollar! The sales manager I knew went even lower and explained this discount to me. He brought my Genesis from $36K to $31K. All the other dealers were $34K and $33K for the identical car. Also what he gave me for the Mercedes was spectacular. He did make a ton of phone calls and waited till he got a return call before he gave me a number on the trade. He had a buyer for it and it was gone the next day
__________________
09 Genesis 3.8, Premium Package Plus, Cabernet Red Pearl, Beige leather

Last edited by brihvac; 12-14-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-14-2010, 10:47 PM
chilly mac chilly mac is offline
Member
Drives a Hyundai 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View chilly mac's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 97
chilly mac is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Genny Sedan Depreciation

Quote:
Originally Posted by brihvac View Post
Not as much as a Hyundai. I have had 1 new Mercedes and 2 used. Lost very little on the new one (sold almost 2 years after bought), drove the 2nd one for 2 years and 20K miles broke even, and made money on the last.

I dont pay sticker price for any auto. I always beat the dealer down and play all the dealers against each other. I have a car and truck and replace one a year. One year I get a new truck and the next I get a new car. So when I go into the dealer they know I dont screw around and I will walk out the door and buy from another dealer if their price is even $100 cheaper. I have owned 5 new Hyundai's including the Genesis since 2000. I have delt with the same sales manager (differant dealers)since 2000. He knows how I am and that if he takes care of me I will keep coming back to him. There is no salesman getting up a million times to talk to his manager. He knows if Im there Im buying within a week and I will walk if he doesnt get me the best deal possible. From what he has told me, at his dealerships they are alowed to sell 3 cars a month at a deeper discount than normal. The last 3 I bought I got with this discount. I priced a 2004 Elantra at 3 differant dealerships and 2 of them went down too the same price. I mean to the dollar! The sales manager I knew went even lower and explained this discount to me. He brought my Genesis from $36K to $31K. All the other dealers were $34K and $33K for the identical car. Also what he gave me for the Mercedes was spectacular. He did make a ton of phone calls and waited till he got a return call before he gave me a number on the trade. He had a buyer for it and it was gone the next day
Cool story, bro. And remarkably on topic.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-15-2010, 10:26 AM
crhbobby crhbobby is offline
Senior Member
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View crhbobby's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Indiana
Age: 30
Posts: 192
crhbobby is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Genny Sedan Depreciation

Streets - Mine had 10K when I purchased it last year. It was August or September of 2009.

When I purchased my used car - there were only like 3 for sale within 150 miles used. I wanted a V8, but the dealers weren't budging off of 36K.

I ended up driving to Ohio to get my car. I spent some time getting the dealer to come down. At the time, 31,500 was a good price.

I just wish that I could have found a red V8 with cashmere interior. I had to settle with a red V6 with black interior.

Bob
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-15-2010, 06:59 PM
YEH YEH is offline
Senior Member
Drives a Hyundai In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View YEH's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NYC/MD
Posts: 864
YEH is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Genny Sedan Depreciation

According to ALG (Auto Leasing Guide) the Genesis gets 3 stars for depreciation - which is the same rating for the 3 Series, 5 Series, C Class, E Class and GS.

The 7 Series gets 2 stars and the S Class 1 star.

https://www.alg.com/depratings
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-15-2010, 07:20 PM
cschuler cschuler is offline
Senior Member
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View cschuler's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Naples, FL
Age: 72
Posts: 234
cschuler is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Genny Sedan Depreciation

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEH View Post
According to ALG (Auto Leasing Guide) the Genesis gets 3 stars for depreciation - which is the same rating for the 3 Series, 5 Series, C Class, E Class and GS.

The 7 Series gets 2 stars and the S Class 1 star.

https://www.alg.com/depratings
Thanks for that link! I should have realized that there is a leasing guide out there!

Walked into my very first auto lease (the Genny) ignorant, but will not repeat that mistake.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-15-2010, 09:10 PM
BacktoHyundaibychoice BacktoHyundaibychoice is offline
Senior Member
Drives a Hyundai Equus Signature
View BacktoHyundaibychoice's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Suburban Chicago
Posts: 1,573
BacktoHyundaibychoice is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Genny Sedan Depreciation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschuler View Post
Thanks for that link! I should have realized that there is a leasing guide out there!

Walked into my very first auto lease (the Genny) ignorant, but will not repeat that mistake.
Funny because my Gen is my first lease that will end with positive equity in 2 months. About $5K worth.
Literally, I can purchase my current car for $23,500 and sell it for $28K same day, possibly more. But I'll likely buy it and trade for the 2012 Gen.

Like I always say, YMMV.
__________________
A horse is a horse, of course, of course...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
depreciation, genny, sedan

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:39 AM.


Hyundai Genesis Ads
Remove this column

My Pledge




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
GenesisOwners.com recognizes that "Hyundai", it's logos and various model names and numbers are registered trademarks of the Hyundai Motors Corporation. These terms are used for identification purposes only. GenesisOwners.com is not affiliated in any way with the Hyundai Motors Corporation, Hyundai or any other company listed herein. All information on this site is the opinion of its members and not the opinion of the site itself. 2014 Madison Ross Media Group. All rights reserved.
MADISON ROSS MEDIA GROUP MARKETPLACE
Need products for your Hyundai Genesis? Check out your options at the links below:

No special deals available at this time...