Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Coupe Forums - 2.0T and 3.8 V6 > Hyundai Genesis Coupe Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

Hyundai Genesis Coupe Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics Discussions regarding satellite/stereo and electrical systems including GPS navigation and bluetooth.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: XM live traffic on NAV?

Old 10-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
View Driv200's Photo Album

Driv200 is on a distinguished road
Default XM live traffic on NAV?

Remove this ad
Anyone have this feature added to their Genesis? Testing a Lacross CXL, this feature was really neat. The test drive route took us on a highway and the NAV beeped and showed a traffic jam 4 miles ahead. I exited early and paralelled the 4 mile traffic jam without delay. This was cool. Just saw where the Genesis allows for this XM upgrade. Have not heard of anyone with it yet.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View dg_moore's Photo Album

dg_moore is on a distinguished road
Default Re: XM live traffic on NAV?

In my limited experience, XM traffic is useless. On one recent trip, Nav failed to warn me three times about accidents/construction ahead until I was already trapped in the traffic jam. If their data is not updated in a timely fashion they can't warn you of trouble ahead. I think this is a not ready for prime time offering.
Black/Black 2010 3.8 Premium w/Nav. 3M Ventureshield full front wrap, rebadged, KAI wood steering wheel, 35% tint all around, Hexomat floor and trunk mats, KAPA 'B' pillar covers, Bridgestone Serenity's
Old 10-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View 2011bh380's Photo Album

2011bh380 is on a distinguished road

It did that for me when I set a destination into the navigation. when it is just on map view it does not tell me in advance where the traffic is.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:14 PM

Really? My limited one time experience had me thinking this was amazing!!! How much is it to dd the XM live traffic? I already have a XM account for sat radio. Paying $10/mth I think.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:55 PM
View STREETS's Photo Album

STREETS is on a distinguished road

Nothing LIVE about XM traffic- in fact in most cases- it is dead.
Thanks for reminding me- gonna call for an extreme discount- it never shows S#@T!
Old 10-27-2010, 01:57 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View ctrcbob's Photo Album

ctrcbob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driv200 View Post
Anyone have this feature added to their Genesis? Testing a Lacross CXL, this feature was really neat. The test drive route took us on a highway and the NAV beeped and showed a traffic jam 4 miles ahead. I exited early and paralelled the 4 mile traffic jam without delay. This was cool. Just saw where the Genesis allows for this XM upgrade. Have not heard of anyone with it yet.
I have it in my car, and I love it.

1. In order for "Geraldine" to talk to me about a traffic jam, I must have a destination set. Otherwise ..... (see below)

2. When the "Traffic" Icon in the upper left corner of screen is lighted, and you push down on the DIS Knob, then push "Nav Traffic", it shows you where there is a delay, or an accident, etc. BTW, this has nothing to do with number 3 below.

3. If your area of the State you are in gives information to XM, you will see Green, Yellow or Red (GYR) lines along the roads on your map, showing that traffic is Light (G), Medium (Y) or Heavy (R).

2 and 3 above do NOT need the Navi destination to be set.

2 and 3 above are completly independent from each other. That is, you could have one, (either one) and not the other on your screen.

There are more areas that carry the Traffic icon (2) than the GYR lines (3).
On my various trips, I often drive in areas where the GYR lines don't show up, due to the local areas not informing XM. Sometimes, when I have no GYR lines, but am getting close to a State Line, such as when I am driving South on I-95 in Georgia, and getting close to Florida, I will not have the lines in Georgia, but I see that once I get into Florida, I will have them.

Lastly, the GYR lines only show up when you have the map screen set to less the 4 miles. Screen set to more than 4 miles will not show the lines. That distance (4 miles) shown on the upper left icon means that the distance indicated by the little line under the number, is the distance of shown. (4 mile, 2 mile, 1 mile, .5 mile, .25 mile, 700 feet, 300 feet). It does NOT mean the distance to the edge of the screen.

Mount Dora, FL (It Could Be Worse)
Penfield, NY (A Quiet Rochester Suburb)
Roswell, NM (Alien Central)

09 Genesis 4.6 Tech (Sold)
10 SHO Ecoboost Twin Turbo
11 MKZ
Old 10-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View kapinossa's Photo Album

kapinossa is on a distinguished road

Ctrcbob,
Great expanation of Nav traffic on the Genesis. I am a heavy Nav user and traffic user when available. One small addition, I use both the XM traffic reports for Metro areas that have a dedicated XM station and the Map information when I am in congested metro areas. In my opinion only, the Map info is great graphically but weak on updates and does not address many areas even in the metro of Baltimore / Washington. In Feb of 2010, I had to renew my annual subscription and considered not renewing the traffic portion but I did at a cost that XM would not reduce the traffic portion (listed cost). They did reduce the radio subscription since I found web pages that advertised discounts for the radio service. There are web pages available on the net with better traffic if you prefer to use your smartphone or laptop.
Steve
Old 10-28-2010, 12:04 AM

Brilliant insight. Thanks for the detailed explanation how to make best use of the system. My driving will take me into another state with a 2.5hr drive on the interstate every other week. This is where I see myself using the XM traffic.

I am starting another post on the NAV and audible commands....trying to find out how effective the Genesis system is. Like any software, a lot of NAV's and interface software is obsolete as fast as they come out. The new "My Ford" and/or "My Lincoln" just jumped ahead of all manufacturers. My last Hyundai salesperson could not get any commands to work and had no idea how to use the knob for anything. Having been so pleased with the rest of the car, the NAV and interface is my last research. Look for new thread on this.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:58 AM

I found this video link about Fords "Sync" which has been improved already with My Ford or My Lincoln. Found this interesting as it's in a car w/o a NAV screen.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/technology/sync/?brand=flm
Old 10-28-2010, 01:21 AM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8
View Seattle Genesis's Photo Album

Seattle Genesis is on a distinguished road

XM Traffic is worthless on the Genesis.

Quote:
Old 10-28-2010, 09:18 AM
View STREETS's Photo Album

STREETS is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: XM live traffic on NAV?

Thanks CTRCBOB- I was using NAV traffic all wrong. I assumed it would just post the icons. This morning I went to NAV/TRAFFIC and it showed 3 conditions and miles from me. Described in the black book thingy in the glovebox huh?
Old 10-28-2010, 09:55 AM
Drives a Hyundai 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View garddog32's Photo Album

garddog32 is on a distinguished road

Like most people have already said, the XM traffic in the Genesis is virtually worthless because it will not automatically reroute you based on the traffic information. However, I'm almost 100% sure that the XM traffic in the La Cross does route you automatically around traffic. The La Cross was one of the finalists on my list before I bought the Genesis. I did some research on the Nav, and I'm pretty sure I read that the La Cross will use the traffic information from XM to do its route calculations. The problem really isn't with XM... its with how Hyundai implemented XM traffic in their Nav system.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View ctrcbob's Photo Album

ctrcbob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I found this video link about Fords "Sync" which has been improved already with My Ford or My Lincoln. Found this interesting as it's in a car w/o a NAV screen.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/technology/sync/?brand=flm
I like having the Nav Screen for a number of reasons.

First off, both my Brother-in-law with a Chevy Equinox and a good friend with a 2011 Mustang with Sync w/o Nav Screen, have their directions only spoken to them. Nothing to see on the screen. I've been with both of them, and I want that moving map to look at, just to see what the roads in that area look like. My "Geraldine" still tells me when to turn, and how far away the turn is, but I still like to look at the GPS Map.

Second, there are times when I am not using the Navi system, but when I am using the GPS Map. When I'm not sure exactly where a street is located, I just look at the map, just as if it were a paper map, and it is very easy to get to that street. No need to enter an address, as I'm only interested in where that street is located, if it is in front of me, or to one side of me.
I do this often. I need the GPS Map.

When the day comes that I replace my Continental, the replacement must have both a GPS Screen (with Navi) and also a backup camera.

Mount Dora, FL (It Could Be Worse)
Penfield, NY (A Quiet Rochester Suburb)
Roswell, NM (Alien Central)

09 Genesis 4.6 Tech (Sold)
10 SHO Ecoboost Twin Turbo
11 MKZ
Old 01-09-2011, 07:20 AM
Supporting Member
View Ernie3647's Photo Album

Ernie3647 is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: XM live traffic on NAV?

Remove this ad
First let me say that I very pleased with my new 2011 Genesis V-6 with tech package. Since I have another car with a lot of the same technical options I have a further source of comparison. While the Genesis is superior in most aspects it falls short with the navigation function. Of course the visual candy is better the screen is bigger and has slightly better resolution but other than that my 2007 G35X while being almost 4 years now still excels in the areas of voice recognition (which I use all the time) and traffic of course thereís a backup camera. The way the traffic works on the G is if youíre on a structured route (Nav is set) the screen displays the green, yellow and blue pertaining to the density of the traffic accordingly while Iím driving. If very heavy traffic is encountered on (Nav is set) route a warning chime rings itís for a visual cue to look at the screen. On the screen a message comes up warning me that there a traffic problem ahead and ask if I want to be rerouted. I can respond yes by hitting the enter key on steering wheel or letting the screen time out which will keep me on present route. If I donít have the Nav system set I can still call up a list of all traffic jams with a few miles of my location. Infiinity does make great Nav systems but other than a need for some high G driving Iíll opt for my Genesis thank you.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:57 AM
Drives a Hyundai 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View waveman's Photo Album

waveman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie3647 View Post
First let me say that I very pleased with my new 2011 Genesis V-6 with tech package. Since I have another car with a lot of the same technical options I have a further source of comparison. While the Genesis is superior in most aspects it falls short with the navigation function. Of course the visual candy is better the screen is bigger and has slightly better resolution but other than that my 2007 G35X while being almost 4 years now still excels in the areas of voice recognition (which I use all the time) and traffic of course thereís a backup camera. The way the traffic works on the G is if youíre on a structured route (Nav is set) the screen displays the green, yellow and blue pertaining to the density of the traffic accordingly while Iím driving. If very heavy traffic is encountered on (Nav is set) route a warning chime rings itís for a visual cue to look at the screen. On the screen a message comes up warning me that there a traffic problem ahead and ask if I want to be rerouted. I can respond yes by hitting the enter key on steering wheel or letting the screen time out which will keep me on present route. If I donít have the Nav system set I can still call up a list of all traffic jams with a few miles of my location. Infiinity does make great Nav systems but other than a need for some high G driving Iíll opt for my Genesis thank you.
Limited integration between the nav system and XM live traffic is disappointing. I wonder how much (or little) effort Hyundai will put into improving this given their announcement of the BlueLink telematics system at CES last week. Among many other things, BlueLink will provide turn-by-turn navigation and daily route guidance with traffic.

What's unclear is whether BlueLink will exist alongside Hyundai's current DIS or will eventually replace it. It's also interesting that BlueLink will make its first appearance in the Sonata this spring, with the rest of the line due to get it by 2013.