Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Forums - 3.8 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 R-Spec V8 > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Garage (DIY)
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

Hyundai Genesis Sedan Garage (DIY) Working on your Genesis Sedan? Here's the spot for giving or receiving Do It Yourself advice.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: Fuel Tank Air Filter / Fuel Filter
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-23-2010, 06:03 PM
crhbobby crhbobby is offline
Senior Member
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View crhbobby's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Indiana
Age: 31
Posts: 192
crhbobby is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Tank Air Filter / Fuel Filter

Remove this ad
Hi everyone...

I pulled the recommended maintenance schedule from Hyundai USAs website.

It says at 30K to have change the fuel tank air filter and at 37500 to change the fuel filter. For the V6...

Has anyone changed these themselves? I don't think I have seen much discussion anyone changing these..

Bob Hall
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 10-26-2010, 02:30 PM
crhbobby crhbobby is offline
Senior Member
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View crhbobby's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Indiana
Age: 31
Posts: 192
crhbobby is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fuel Tank Air Filter / Fuel Filter

Okay...well forget about the fuel tank air filter... What about the fuel filter - anyone?

It looks like it is in the tank and the rear seat needs to come out.


I did some searching about the fuel tank air filter... Looks like this is a Hyundai/Kia thing. I have a friend of mine that works for a company that engineers and makes the fuel systems for hyundai and kia.... He believed that they were good for the life of the car. I have seen on other forums where dealers told them that they were not "replaceable". I am taking my car in for service tomorrow so I will ask them.

Bob
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Cut-Throat's Avatar
Cut-Throat Cut-Throat is offline
Senior Member
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
View Cut-Throat's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 815
Cut-Throat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fuel Tank Air Filter / Fuel Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crhbobby View Post
Okay...well forget about the fuel tank air filter... What about the fuel filter - anyone?

It looks like it is in the tank and the rear seat needs to come out.


I did some searching about the fuel tank air filter... Looks like this is a Hyundai/Kia thing. I have a friend of mine that works for a company that engineers and makes the fuel systems for hyundai and kia.... He believed that they were good for the life of the car. I have seen on other forums where dealers told them that they were not "replaceable". I am taking my car in for service tomorrow so I will ask them.

Bob
Please post and let us know about this. I have not heard of it.
__________________
2014 Genesis Sedan - 5.0 R Spec - Parisian Gray - Re-badged.

2011 Genesis Sedan - 4.6 - Titanium Gray - Re-badged - E&G Classics Chrome Grill
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-26-2010, 04:53 PM
wallymn wallymn is offline
Senior Member
Drives a Hyundai 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View wallymn's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MN
Age: 45
Posts: 794
wallymn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fuel Tank Air Filter / Fuel Filter

I discussed this with my dealer,,, They inspected the fuel tank air filter. and found no issues. so did not replace......

The fuel filter they also suggested I skip...

so either have been done... just over 50k now.
__________________
2009 Genesis 4.6 w/Tech
Black/Black
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-27-2010, 01:25 AM
mikec mikec is offline
Senior Member
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View mikec's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SoCal
Age: 50
Posts: 564
mikec is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fuel Tank Air Filter / Fuel Filter

Fuel pump + fuel filter are one assembly inside the fuel tank - attached to the top of the tank. Remove the rear seat cushion and you'll see a squarish access plate on the body floor - undo the screws/bolts and remove it. Then you'll see the top of the fuel tank and an oval access plate; that's the main pump, assist pump, pressure regulator, fuel filter, and fuel level sensor. This assembly basically lifts straight up (after hoses are de-pressurized and disconnected); until the assembly is nearly out: that's when fuel level sensor float gets in the way - it sticks out sideways so tilt the assembly and carefully guide it out.

Just aft of the fuel tank is the charcoal canister assembly. This is the key part of the "evaporative emissions control system." Basically this system is a charcoal filled tank that absorbs gas fumes as they evaporate from the fuel tank and fuel hoses/pipes - think "Odor Eaters" for the gas tank. When the engine is warmed up and running, the engine computer trips a solenoid to have engine intake manifold vacuum suck on the canister to draw the trapped fumes out, cleaning the charcoal. The small fuel tank air filter lets fresh air into the canister. If you lift the trunk floor/carpet, you'll see a big rectangular cover plate attached to the floor... removing this allows access to the canister and filter.

mike c.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-27-2010, 01:38 AM
Gwaneum's Avatar
Gwaneum Gwaneum is offline
Member
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Gwaneum's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern California
Posts: 63
Gwaneum is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fuel Tank Air Filter / Fuel Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
Fuel pump + fuel filter are one assembly inside the fuel tank - attached to the top of the tank. Remove the rear seat cushion and you'll see a squarish access plate on the body floor - undo the screws/bolts and remove it. Then you'll see the top of the fuel tank and an oval access plate; that's the main pump, assist pump, pressure regulator, fuel filter, and fuel level sensor. This assembly basically lifts straight up (after hoses are de-pressurized and disconnected); until the assembly is nearly out: that's when fuel level sensor float gets in the way - it sticks out sideways so tilt the assembly and carefully guide it out.

Just aft of the fuel tank is the charcoal canister assembly. This is the key part of the "evaporative emissions control system." Basically this system is a charcoal filled tank that absorbs gas fumes as they evaporate from the fuel tank and fuel hoses/pipes - think "Odor Eaters" for the gas tank. When the engine is warmed up and running, the engine computer trips a solenoid to have engine intake manifold vacuum suck on the canister to draw the trapped fumes out, cleaning the charcoal. The small fuel tank air filter lets fresh air into the canister. If you lift the trunk floor/carpet, you'll see a big rectangular cover plate attached to the floor... removing this allows access to the canister and filter.

mike c.
Thank you for the write-up.

My Genesis is nearing 36K miles and I have done the fuel tank air filter change at 30K. A bit of contortion required but not horribly difficult. The filter is about $20 or so over the parts counter.

Thanks for the overview of how the fuel pump assembly looks. I do need to get the fuel filter replaced pretty soon, so I'll keep that in mind.
__________________
2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Tech, Platinum Metallic
2010 Mercedes-Benz E550 Luxury European Delivery, Silver
2002 Honda Accord EX, Taffeta White
2004 BMW 325iA South Africa Premium, Steel Blue (Retired)
1999 Ford Contour SE Sport V6, Spruce Green (Retired)


Past Hyundai Vehicles:
2006 KDM Sonata NF N20, Silver (rental)
1979 KDM Pony I, Red (family car)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-25-2011, 12:11 PM
crhbobby crhbobby is offline
Senior Member
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View crhbobby's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Indiana
Age: 31
Posts: 192
crhbobby is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fuel Tank Air Filter / Fuel Filter

Hi everyone

I wanted to comment on my thread I started a while back. I finally asked my dealer about the fuel filter replacement. I am at 40K now.

They told me that they do not consider the fuel filter serviceable since they have to get to it from the inside the tank. He said he would only replace it if perhaps the fuel pump went out, etc.

They must not like changing them... You'd think a dealer would jump all over the maintenance items suggested by the manufacturer.

Our manuals say to do the fuel filter every 37,500, and the fuel air filter every 30K. I didn't even ask about the fuel system air filter.

I suppose I will just be getting an oil change tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-11-2012, 10:45 AM
JimInNashville JimInNashville is offline
Member
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View JimInNashville's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 45
JimInNashville is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fuel Tank Air Filter / Fuel Filter

One of the two dealers I go to recently had the car in for a 24 month service yesterday.

My 2010 Genesis 3.8 has only 11,300 miles on it. I asked him about the fuel tank air filter and he said that in general they do not replace them, and ditto the fuel filter.

I am growing increasingly concerned about the disconnect between Hyundai dealers and Hyundai's own service manual. My service writer said that you could drive the car 50,000 miles and that air filter would still be clean. He quoted me a price of over $200 to replace it.

One has to be careful. Will Hyundai void your warranty if you have a major engine failure, EVEN IF this item had nothing to do with it?

It might be (I am not saying it necessarily is) that this flat rate item has a low profit or even a loss to dealers, and so they are more interested in pursuing high volume high profit oil changes than they are fuel filter replacements.

An alternative interpretation is that the service writer knows these items are hugely over-engineered yet difficult to replace, and is trying to save the customer money.

Which brings me, once again, to a fundamental question. WHY, given the fact that this is a premier forum in North America for Hyundai Genesis owners, isn't Hyundai actively monitoring this forum and providing some guidance to us??
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Cut-Throat's Avatar
Cut-Throat Cut-Throat is offline
Senior Member
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
View Cut-Throat's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 815
Cut-Throat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fuel Tank Air Filter / Fuel Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInNashville View Post
My service writer said that you could drive the car 50,000 miles and that air filter would still be clean. He quoted me a price of over $200 to replace it.
Any dealer that would quote $200 to replace the Air Filter, I could not run fast enough away from it. You can replace the air filter in 10 minutes yourself with almost no tools.
__________________
2014 Genesis Sedan - 5.0 R Spec - Parisian Gray - Re-badged.

2011 Genesis Sedan - 4.6 - Titanium Gray - Re-badged - E&G Classics Chrome Grill
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-11-2012, 11:19 AM
STREETS STREETS is offline
Senior Member
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View STREETS's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Connecticut
Age: 50
Posts: 786
STREETS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fuel Tank Air Filter / Fuel Filter

He is talking Fuel Tank Air Filter- who knew?! Leave it be....
__________________
Owner Genesis 3.8 TECH White/Cashmere with Genesis Wing replacement inside-out, LEDs
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-12-2012, 12:50 AM
mcginnpm's Avatar
mcginnpm mcginnpm is offline
Senior Member
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View mcginnpm's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Peoples Republic of Maryland
Posts: 375
mcginnpm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fuel Tank Air Filter / Fuel Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymn View Post
I discussed this with my dealer,,, They inspected the fuel tank air filter. and found no issues. so did not replace......

The fuel filter they also suggested I skip...

so either have been done... just over 50k now.
I'd find a new dealer if I were you, especially if they are telling you to skip manufacturer required service intervals.

As for "inspecting" the fuel tank air filter, I'd love to know how they did that. It's a sealed unit with a port about the size of a dime that you can kind of peer inside and see about 10% of one side of the filter (you can just see the folded pleats of the filter in the attached picture). The labor alone involved to remove and "inspect" the filter (#7 in the attached schematic) would justify replacing it, assuming they actually removed and "inspected" it. May as well put a new one in if they went that far.

Cut-Throat is correct in his post above...easy to replace. My filter (pictured here) cost $28.69 at my local Hyundai dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	1750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Schematic.gif
Views:	346
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1751  
__________________
Mike
USMC Ret

09 Genesis 4.6L w/Tech Pkg, Black Noir Pearl/Black. Mods: tinted glass/debadged/CARiD spoiler/OEM mud guards/MGP brake caliper covers

98 Volvo S70 Turbo
92 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
89 & 84 Saab 900 Turbo
72 Volvo 144

Last edited by mcginnpm; 01-12-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-12-2012, 11:41 PM
crhbobby crhbobby is offline
Senior Member
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View crhbobby's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Indiana
Age: 31
Posts: 192
crhbobby is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fuel Tank Air Filter / Fuel Filter

I see my thread is still going..

This week...I had my car at the Hyundai dealer for an oil change. I now have 56K on the odometer. I asked the service manager about the fuel filter and fuel air filter again. I asked him if their position had changed. He said No...and that if either of those two were an issue the only problem would be a check engine light indicating a clog.

It certainly amazes me though...I am so used to dealers trying to make me do unnecessary things...I have never experienced them the other way around.

Bob
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-12-2012, 11:50 PM
Mark_888 Mark_888 is online now
Senior Member
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Mark_888's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,493
Mark_888 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fuel Tank Air Filter / Fuel Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crhbobby View Post
I see my thread is still going..

This week...I had my car at the Hyundai dealer for an oil change. I now have 56K on the odometer. I asked the service manager about the fuel filter and fuel air filter again. I asked him if their position had changed. He said No...and that if either of those two were an issue the only problem would be a check engine light indicating a clog.

It certainly amazes me though...I am so used to dealers trying to make me do unnecessary things...I have never experienced them the other way around.

Bob
I don't think the dealers have mechanics with enough expertise to do this, and if they make a mistake with the fuel system it could lead to disaster and lawsuits. I am not surprised they don't recommend it, and I agree that a sensor would likely come on if there was a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-12-2012, 11:56 PM
Mark_888 Mark_888 is online now
Senior Member
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Mark_888's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,493
Mark_888 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fuel Tank Air Filter / Fuel Filter

Remove this ad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInNashville View Post
Will Hyundai void your warranty if you have a major engine failure, EVEN IF this item had nothing to do with it?
According to the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) which issues regulations regarding warranties, your dealer cannot deny a warranty claim unless the service item omitted is related to the warranty problem.

That is not to say that some dealers won't try deny a warranty claim for an unrelated skipped service issue, but just remember to mention the FTC, Federal Anti-Trust Laws (triple damages), the local District Attorney, and the local consumer affairs TV reporter, and then suddenly the dealer may re-think his BS attempt to deny the warranty.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-28-2012, 08:11 PM
mcginnpm's Avatar
mcginnpm mcginnpm is offline
Senior Member
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View mcginnpm's Photo Album
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Peoples Republic of Maryland
Posts: 375
mcginnpm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fuel Tank Air Filter / Fuel Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crhbobby View Post
Hi everyone...

I pulled the recommended maintenance schedule from Hyundai USAs website.

It says at 30K to have change the fuel tank air filter and at 37500 to change the fuel filter. For the V6...

Has anyone changed these themselves? I don't think I have seen much discussion anyone changing these..

Bob Hall

I finally got around to replacing my fuel tank AIR filter today. It's a bit of a PITA, but not too bad if you don't mind hanging over the trunk sill while you're working. If you want to be more comfortable, you can pull the rear seat back out.

Step 1 - Remove the carpet from the trunk. You'll see a styrofoam pad. Remove the two plastic nuts (they were just hand tight on my car) and remove the pad (see photo 1)

Step 2 - You'll see a retangular access panel. Remove the ten 10mm bolts and remove the panel (see photo 2)

Step 3 - Disconnect the electrical connection from the solonoid valve, disconnect the hose from the charcoal canister, and remove the 10mm retaining bolt (see photo 3)

Step 4 - Disconnect the hose from the fuel tank air filter. Note: it's possible, but not easy, to disconnect it from inside the trunk. Its easier if you do it from under the car. Look for the hose and the filter just above the differential (see photo 4). You could do this before Step 3 above, but it was Step 4 for me when I realized what a pain it was to try and disconnect the hose while I was in the trunk.

Step 5 - Remove the fuel tank air filter. Note: you'll need to wriggle it around a bit to get the valve and hose clear (photo 5 shows how things look with the filter out. You can see the hose that was disconnected from under the car. It doesn't pull up into the trunk area very far. If you've got small hands, you can probably work it from inside the trunk to get it disconnected. Otherwise, just jack up the car, put it on stands, and crawl underneath. It's a LOT easier.)

Step 6 - Remove the two 10mm bolts that mount the solonoid valve and hose to the fuel tank air filter (see photo 6)

Step 7 - Remove the rubber grommet and metal sleeve from the fuel tank air filter (see photo 7)

Installation is the reverse of the above steps.

I don't know why they call for a fuel tank air filter change at 30K? Photo 8 shows the old and new filters side-by-side. I'll let you guess which one is which. The old filter looked brand spanking new to me. Overall it took about an hour to do the job. Now that I know what I'm doing, I could probably do it in 25-30 minutes.

Hope this helps folks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1869   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1870   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1871   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	1872   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1873  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	1874   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	1875   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1876  
__________________
Mike
USMC Ret

09 Genesis 4.6L w/Tech Pkg, Black Noir Pearl/Black. Mods: tinted glass/debadged/CARiD spoiler/OEM mud guards/MGP brake caliper covers

98 Volvo S70 Turbo
92 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
89 & 84 Saab 900 Turbo
72 Volvo 144

Last edited by mcginnpm; 04-28-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
air, filter, fuel, tank

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:11 PM.


Hyundai Genesis Ads
Remove this column

My Pledge






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
GenesisOwners.com recognizes that "Hyundai", it's logos and various model names and numbers are registered trademarks of the Hyundai Motors Corporation. These terms are used for identification purposes only. GenesisOwners.com is not affiliated in any way with the Hyundai Motors Corporation, Hyundai or any other company listed herein. All information on this site is the opinion of its members and not the opinion of the site itself. 2014 Madison Ross Media Group. All rights reserved.
MADISON ROSS MEDIA GROUP MARKETPLACE
Need products for your Hyundai Genesis? Check out your options at the links below:

No special deals available at this time...