Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis News and more... > Hyundai Genesis vs. The Competition
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

Hyundai Genesis vs. The Competition Forum for discussions comparing the Hyundai Genesis to various competitors.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: Hyundai Genesis vs Lexus LS 430 (used)

Old 09-08-2008, 01:11 AM
Drives a Hyundai
View 6 Iron's Photo Album

6 Iron is on a distinguished road
Default Hyundai Genesis vs Lexus LS 430 (used)

Remove this ad
This is my final choice, and I was curious if others were comparing these. I am looking at 2005 and 2006 LS430's that are nearly the same price as a Genesis.

The Hyundai advantages include more modern electronics/nav, ipod integration (except shuffle--grrrr), full warranty coverage, more attractive dash, less expensive service, better head and leg room, and it's new

The Lexus advantages include better fit and finish (although not by a lot), better historical reliability (brand), Lexus service, and a better depreciation rate I suspect.

Seems like a no lose proposition, but I was hoping for others to weigh in. Thanks.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Hyundai Genesis Forum
Drives a Hyundai Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View Hyundai Genesis's Photo Album

Hyundai Genesis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to Hyundai Genesis Send a message via AIM to Hyundai Genesis Send a message via MSN to Hyundai Genesis Send a message via Yahoo to Hyundai Genesis Send a message via Skype™ to Hyundai Genesis
Default Re: Hyundai Genesis vs Lexus LS 430 (used)

Hi 6 Iron. Welcome! My opinion is probably not going be a popular one (around here, anyway) - but I am an honest person. Go for the Lexus LS430. I had a 2005 and it was probably the best vehicle I've ever owned. The Hyundai Genesis is not far behind - but in my honest opinion, it's not a Lexus LS430.

The Lexus will be quieter. Almost as powerful (0-60 in 5.9 seconds). I feel certain it'll be more reliable. It's softer riding. If you're looking for the most comfortable vehicle and the most luxurious experience, you want the Lexus LS430.

Service? Forget about it... Can you imagine the difference there?

Help support our community. For as little as $2.00 per month, you can help us pay our server bills,
software bills, licensing, renewal & upgrade fees and more... Click here for more information.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Drives a Hyundai In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View GenFan's Photo Album

GenFan is on a distinguished road

I agree with Hyundai Genesis. I was in the same position as you are in currently. I really wanted the Genesis but, in the end, just couldn't pull the trigger.

I looked at the LS430 but ruled it out mostly because of the appearance. I wanted something a little more aerodynamic looking. The 2008 LS is my favorite vehicle on the road.

I ended up buying a 06 Infiniti M45 (I know, not the most "aerodynamic" looking but sportier than the LS430). The new car window sticker was in the glove box when I drove it. It stickered at $52,275. I paid $27K and it had 17K miles. This is what made the decision for me. The best I could do on a Genesis w/Tech was $37,500 (supposedly invoice). If the value of it drops ~50% in two years or 17K miles I would never forgive myself. You know the value of the Lexus and it will hold it pretty good. Even high mileage Lexus go for big bucks.

I still have plans to own a Genesis but it will be a year or two when I can pick up a preowned V8 that someone treated very well!

I vote LS430.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:50 AM
View John M's Photo Album

John M is on a distinguished road

My brother drives an LS430:

and is considering a Genesis. My grandparents have an 05 LS 430 along with their LS 460 (already posted elsewhere). They too are considering a Genesis as its replacement rather than getting a second LS 460.

I've driven these cars regularly since 2001 and that's why I'm so impressed with Hyundai's product. I'd never knock the LS series but there are a few advantages to going with Hyundai:

- Lower cost of ownership. Ever had a Lexus serviced? You pay the "luxury tax" every time for even the simplest of repairs. Sure, you're treated well but you pay for it too.

- Availability of nav upgrades. Lexus has a bad habit of abandoning their nav systems 2-3 years after the car's production.

- The Genesis has a more "involving" suspension. Some may prefer isolation but I think Hyundai has hit the perfect balance between comfort and feedback.

- The Genesis has a larger interior, and very noticeably so. Again, it's closer to the 460 than the 430.

The Genesis is a close enough match for a 460 that it's almost a shoe-in vs. the 430. It matches it feature for feature in the option list and totally overpowers it in the engine department. You won't be "slumming it" in either car. Drive them both and see if you like one over the other.

Having said all of that, I'd have to get the v8 Genesis. Sure, the v6 is plenty powerful and everyone on the board right now has a 6, but I'd have to have all the options if I was choosing a Hyundai over a Lexus!

New cars always depreciate more than used cars so that factor can't be held against the Genesis. The new car buyer loses equity as soon as the car leaves the lot whether it's a Bentley or a Yugo. Remember - vehicles are expenses, not investments.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M View Post
New cars always depreciate more than used cars so that factor can't be held against the Genesis. The new car buyer loses equity as soon as the car leaves the lot whether it's a Bentley or a Yugo. Remember - vehicles are expenses, not investments.
Didn't intend to hold depreciation against the Genesis. You're right, we are talking about expenses not investments. This is exactly why I say LS over Genesis.

My heart is with the Genesis, my wallet is with the Lexus (Infiniti in my case).
Old 09-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Simonwpb's Photo Album

Simonwpb is on a distinguished road

One question you might ask yourself is how long are you going to own the vehicle?

A 2005/06 Lexus versus a 2009 Genesis is a three-year age spread. If you keep your vehicle 4 years, the Lexus will be 7 years old. Depreciation on a car that old is a completely different set of rules than from new.

Are you considering a Lexus from a dealer with a factory-certified limited used warranty, or from a private party? What sort of warranty would you get on a used LS versus the Genesis?
Old 09-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View ecommando's Photo Album

ecommando is on a distinguished road

I would get the Genesis over the Lexus.
With the Lexus, you will be getting a 3 yr old car.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:57 PM
View John M's Photo Album

John M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenFan View Post
My heart is with the Genesis, my wallet is with the Lexus (Infiniti in my case).
I know where you're coming from. I bought my Subaru brand new and paid $30k. You could buy it 2 years later for $20k, but I had to have it then.

Mine has a whopping 17k miles on it now so it's still like driving a new car.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Drives a Hyundai

Drove both today. The lexus was a 2005 Ultra (essentially all bells and whistles). The air suspension is incredibly smooth. Very comfortable. The dealership was a pleasure to deal with. Wood grain interior on the dash and steering wheel in this particular model was more attractive than the more orange stained wood dash I have seen in others--think it was walnut. The engine in this particular model was not as quiet as other LS430's I have been in, with an audible low pitched vibration. The Mark Levinson sound system is on par with, but does not clearly exceed the Genesis Lexicon system in the Tech package. Nav screen was not very sharp. Biggest downer for this particular car was that the prior owner was a smoker. A fatal flaw for me, for this car, but the concept remains a legitimate contender.

Next, drove a black/black Genesis 3.8 with Premium Plus and Tech packages. The smaller steering wheel is more to my liking. The suspension, while by no means punishing, definitely transmits more road feel to the driver. Seats were more comfortable, provided better thigh support for my 6'4" frame. The electronics seem very intuitive, although the salesman did not know if their was a mute button for the audible Nav driving instructions. Dealership experience was polite, but with a greater sense of urgency on their part than your typical luxury car dealership.

While I am usually a fan of minimizing the impact of depreciating assets (hence the used car comparison), this car seems right for me, but I am going to wait for the 4.6, as well as to see other colors. At present, I am thinking white satin pearl with the saddle interior, or Titanium, with the black interior, and with tech package.

Thank you all for your input.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Drives a Hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonwpb View Post
One question you might ask yourself is how long are you going to own the vehicle?

A 2005/06 Lexus versus a 2009 Genesis is a three-year age spread. If you keep your vehicle 4 years, the Lexus will be 7 years old. Depreciation on a car that old is a completely different set of rules than from new.

Are you considering a Lexus from a dealer with a factory-certified limited used warranty, or from a private party? What sort of warranty would you get on a used LS versus the Genesis?
I plan on keeping the car ten years. I would likely buy an extended warranty with a certified pre-owned lexus from the dealer if I were to go that route.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Hyundai Genesis Forum
Drives a Hyundai Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View Hyundai Genesis's Photo Album

Hyundai Genesis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to Hyundai Genesis Send a message via AIM to Hyundai Genesis Send a message via MSN to Hyundai Genesis Send a message via Yahoo to Hyundai Genesis Send a message via Skype™ to Hyundai Genesis

The Genesis would definitely not be a bad choice.. I must at least say that. To me, it's not a Lexus LS - but it's the next best thing.

Help support our community. For as little as $2.00 per month, you can help us pay our server bills,
software bills, licensing, renewal & upgrade fees and more... Click here for more information.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Drives a Hyundai Equus Signature
View sandy's Photo Album

sandy is on a distinguished road

You've raised a great question. I'm trying to make the same comparative decision and am leaning strongly to the Genesis. One factor I don't believe anyone has mentioned so far is the "brand prestige" factor. While this would seem to go to the Lexus, in my case I can't wait to tell my friends I bought a Hyundai. Call it reverse snobishness or whatever...I just can't wait.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:17 PM

It sounds like you really prefer the Genesis. If you can keep a car for ten years (which exceeds my record by 8 years) then I say go for the Genesis.

I'd be willing to bet that they will probably be worth the same amount in ten years.

Besides, you get a chance to be different for a while!
Old 09-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Simonwpb's Photo Album

Simonwpb is on a distinguished road

Remove this ad
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Iron View Post
I plan on keeping the car ten years. I would likely buy an extended warranty with a certified pre-owned lexus from the dealer if I were to go that route.
If you plan on keeping a car 10 years, my guess is the residual value is so low it should not be a factor. The Genesis 100K drivetrain warranty is a plus, and you should figure the cost of any used car extended warranty in your total purchase price for the used vehicle.

I still say a car is an emotional purchase. Go with the car that you will enjoy the most!
Old 09-10-2008, 07:36 PM
View midnite c's Photo Album

midnite c is on a distinguished road

I would like to weigh in since I own a 2005 Lexus LS, which I bought new. It is a great car. Having said that I still would look at the genesis. The cost of routine maint. would probably be less for the genesis. I have a 60,000 mile schedule maint. and is going to cost $900 plus. The cheapest 5,000 mile maint. interval was around $130. But it is a great car. I am still looking at the genesis when they start to deliver the V8.