Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Forums - 3.8 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 R-Spec V8 > General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion Forum for discussions regarding the Hyundai Genesis Sedan that don't fit specifically anywhere else.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: 30K mile service

Old 09-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Drives a Hyundai Equus Signature
View Mgrig's Photo Album

Mgrig is on a distinguished road
Default 30K mile service

Remove this ad
What have folks been paying for this service? I was quoted $425.00, is that reasonable?

Old 09-15-2010, 11:12 PM
Drives a Hyundai 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View TJPark01's Photo Album

TJPark01 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 30K mile service

You need to find an itemized list of what they plan on doing. Personally, at 30k miles, all I see is air filter,oil and filter change, tire rotation and in cabin air filter. The rest should just be inspections. Personally, I can do all of this myself, but others may not be mechanically inclined, but 425 sounds like a bit much to swap some filters, and poke around the car.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:02 AM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View pjkad's Photo Album

pjkad is on a distinguished road

I have found dealers have their own service packages at various mileage milestones that they sell regardless of vehicle. If you take your service manual in and go over exactly what it says to do at 30K, it is likely to be a much shorter list and less $$.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Drives a Hyundai Equus Signature
View Mgrig's Photo Album

Mgrig is on a distinguished road

Good points, the only additonal service is a coolant flush. You are correct, everything they want to do, I can do for next to nothing.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgrig View Post
Good points, the only additonal service is a coolant flush. You are correct, everything they want to do, I can do for next to nothing.

Thanks for the heads up.
No need to flush the coolant on a car this old with only 30k miles, it's a unnecessary service. The manual states 5 years or 60k miles, whichever comes first. Check the reservoir when cold I added about a cup of distilled water to the tank. In terms of maintenance, when it comes to listening to dealer or engineers, I choose engineer 100% of the time.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View STREETS's Photo Album

STREETS is on a distinguished road

30,000 miles should be - change filters (I can do that) check brakes (I'll let them do that), check TSB's, check this and that. $80 tops. For $425 I think you will be buying lunch unknowingly for the service bay crew!
Old 09-17-2010, 03:14 AM
Drives a Hyundai In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View mo1sk8's Photo Album

mo1sk8 is on a distinguished road

LOL. I second that notion Streets. When it comes to a couple hundred bucks the big costs should be when you need things like a new alternator, catalytic converter or brakes etc.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:39 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View mcginnpm's Photo Album

mcginnpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
...when it comes to listening to dealer or engineers, I choose engineer 100% of the time.
CONCUR 100%!! Dealer = sales = doesn't know crap most of the time.

However, seeing as I work with engineers every day, I "balance" their input with that of my analysts. Engineers can get a bit "over zealous" sometimes when it comes to cost control and staying within the defined requirements. My analysts help to keep my engineers "coloring between the lines".

09 Genesis 4.6L w/Tech Pkg, Black Noir Pearl/Black. Mods: tinted glass/debadged/CARiD spoiler/OEM mud guards/MGP brake caliper covers

98 Volvo S70 Turbo
92 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
89 & 84 Saab 900 Turbo
72 Volvo 144
Old 09-19-2010, 11:48 AM
View robthoke's Photo Album

robthoke is on a distinguished road

My dealer gave me a sheet with all recommended service intervals. For the 30K service he wants $375.50. Throttle Body Service and Spark plugs are recommended and extra.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robthoke View Post
My dealer gave me a sheet with all recommended service intervals. For the 30K service he wants $375.50. Throttle Body Service and Spark plugs are recommended and extra.
Plugs are good for 100k, throttle body doesn't need to be touched.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Coupe
View beemerdude's Photo Album

beemerdude is on a distinguished road

I took my wife's 4.6 in for the 15,000 service. It needed new rubber on the rear so I had them replaced the 2 rear tires. They charged me for mounting and balancing the tires even though balancing & rotating was a part of the service . The best part is that they charged me $145 for a "package" of parts replaced as part of the service. The service advisor did not know what parts were included inthe package. I requested an itemized. I sent the list to the GM of the dealer that I bought the car from. Individually, the parts MSRP came out to less than $100.00. Talk about a rip off!!! Iconfronted the parts manager who squacked about writing me a check until I told him Iwould contact Hyundai and see how they felt about it.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:29 PM
View equetefue's Photo Album

equetefue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerdude View Post
I took my wife's 4.6 in for the 15,000 service. It needed new rubber on the rear so I had them replaced the 2 rear tires. They charged me for mounting and balancing the tires even though balancing & rotating was a part of the service . The best part is that they charged me $145 for a "package" of parts replaced as part of the service. The service advisor did not know what parts were included inthe package. I requested an itemized. I sent the list to the GM of the dealer that I bought the car from. Individually, the parts MSRP came out to less than $100.00. Talk about a rip off!!! Iconfronted the parts manager who squacked about writing me a check until I told him Iwould contact Hyundai and see how they felt about it.
This is the kind of stories I dread to hear about. I want to buy this car so bad but cant get myself to pull the trigger.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:34 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View dg_moore's Photo Album

dg_moore is on a distinguished road

From the comments on the board, owner experience differs widely at different dealers. My dealer - Ourisman in Laurel, MD - is great and would never pull a stunt like this. Several other owners here are likewise very happy with their dealers. I think the good outnumber the bad - if there are several dealers in your area perhaps you could check them out with the BBB
Black/Black 2010 3.8 Premium w/Nav. 3M Ventureshield full front wrap, rebadged, KAI wood steering wheel, 35% tint all around, Hexomat floor and trunk mats, KAPA 'B' pillar covers, Bridgestone Serenity's
Old 09-19-2010, 03:49 PM
View mo1sk8's Photo Album

mo1sk8 is on a distinguished road

Remove this ad
Quote:
Originally Posted by equetefue View Post
This is the kind of stories I dread to hear about. I want to buy this car so bad but cant get myself to pull the trigger.

You can probably read about ones troubling story from every car manufacturer. The question is.. Is the car above average when it comes to not having problems? As far as dealing with dealerships, this forum is a tremendous help when it comes to there tactics what to look out for. Good luck on your decision.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg_moore View Post
From the comments on the board, owner experience differs widely at different dealers. My dealer - Ourisman in Laurel, MD - is great and would never pull a stunt like this. Several other owners here are likewise very happy with their dealers. I think the good outnumber the bad - if there are several dealers in your area perhaps you could check them out with the BBB
I'd have to agree with this. I have visited 2 service dealers in my area and both have been very professional and accommodating. This is my first Hyundai, and based on the dealership experiences I have had in sales and service, I would definitely buy another one in the future.