Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Forums - 3.8 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 R-Spec V8 > General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion Forum for discussions regarding the Hyundai Genesis Sedan that don't fit specifically anywhere else.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: Genesis vs Equus

Old 07-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View MrPhantom's Photo Album

MrPhantom is on a distinguished road
Question Genesis vs Equus

Remove this ad
I bought my '09 3.8 Genesis at the beginning of '10. Now, the pictures of the new Genesis is out and the Equus is set to launch in a few months.

How many of you are ready to take the hit in negative equity and ready to trade in your Genesis to get the Equus? I just don't know if less than a year later I'm ready to cough up another 40 thousand plus and negative equity. Tell me what you think though.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View cschuler's Photo Album

cschuler is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Genesis vs Equus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhantom View Post
I bought my '09 3.8 Genesis at the beginning of '10. Now, the pictures of the new Genesis is out and the Equus is set to launch in a few months.

How many of you are ready to take the hit in negative equity and ready to trade in your Genesis to get the Equus? I just don't know if less than a year later I'm ready to cough up another 40 thousand plus and negative equity. Tell me what you think though.
Why would you buy a horse when you already have a fine car (equus is latin for horse)?

I am too frugal to ever take a big financial hit on a car, or anything else. The Equus is only marginally bigger than my Genny sedan and has a V-8, which I hardly need. I think the Equus is some kind of statement from Hyundai, more than it is a serious model for the U.S. market. Why they call it a horse, is beyond my comprehension.

They (Hyundai) should seriously consider the market for luxury sedans abandonded by US auto makers ... e.g., the Lincoln Town Car. There are a bunch of frustrated old farts with money to spend and no viable cars to choose from ... they don't want SUVs and any of that ilk.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View SterlingDave's Photo Album

SterlingDave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschuler View Post
Why would you buy a horse when you already have a fine car (equus is latin for horse)?

I am too frugal to ever take a big financial hit on a car, or anything else. The Equus is only marginally bigger than my Genny sedan and has a V-8, which I hardly need. I think the Equus is some kind of statement from Hyundai, more than it is a serious model for the U.S. market. Why they call it a horse, is beyond my comprehension.
Why would they call it a horse? Ever hear of a Mustang, a Bronco, a Charger?

I know, a pinto is a horse, too.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:47 PM
View MrPhantom's Photo Album

MrPhantom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschuler View Post

They (Hyundai) should seriously consider the market for luxury sedans abandonded by US auto makers ... e.g., the Lincoln Town Car. There are a bunch of frustrated old farts with money to spend and no viable cars to choose from ... they don't want SUVs and any of that ilk.
So is Ferrari. Even power has a horse in front of it... (okay i know that was corny). Marginally is incorrect though. Along with the power increase over the v8 in the Genesis even. The Equus gives you 7 more inches of leg room in the back. and an array of backseat feature and creature comforts that make it more comparable to a limousine than a bmw 7 series or lexus ls460. And the Genesis was a statement also. The statement is "That's a Hyundai?". Brand interest.

So you're saying you wouldn't fork over the money have *arguably* the best mass production car in America?
Old 07-04-2010, 08:05 PM
View danieltoye101@msn.com's Photo Album

danieltoye101@msn.com is on a distinguished road

Thinking of a second car and Equus is on my list. But so is the Sonata Hybrid on my list later this fall. I may wait to get the Eqqus in a couple years after the 5 warrenty expires on the Genesis
Old 07-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View dg_moore's Photo Album

dg_moore is on a distinguished road

Looks to me like back seat amenities constitute a major difference in features. Given that nobody but me ever rides in the Genesis (with my wife in the passenger seat from time to time) those amenities mean nothing to me. There is nothing - back seat, front seat, under the hood, whatever - about the Equus that would make it worth 20K more to me than I paid for my Genesis, which I have no intention of replacing anytime soon.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Drives a Hyundai 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View MADDMOE's Photo Album

MADDMOE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MADDMOE Send a message via Yahoo to MADDMOE

Well i was thinking about getting rid of my 4.6 V8 for it but i have 3 sons ( 16,14 & 6 ) oh & my wife lol, so with them putting that contraption in the rear between the seats offically making it a car for 4 people i am ruling that one out & now thinking about looking at an AUDI A8, of course when the time is right
Old 07-04-2010, 11:19 PM
View MrB0462's Photo Album

MrB0462 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg_moore View Post
Looks to me like back seat amenities constitute a major difference in features. Given that nobody but me ever rides in the Genesis (with my wife in the passenger seat from time to time) those amenities mean nothing to me. There is nothing - back seat, front seat, under the hood, whatever - about the Equus that would make it worth 20K more to me than I paid for my Genesis, which I have no intention of replacing anytime soon.
There are supposed to be two models: 1) chauffuer driven with the reclining seats etc.; 20 a normal back seat. Very much like the 2 Maybach models.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:16 AM
View Mark_888's Photo Album

Mark_888 will become famous soon enough

I doubt that very many of the "chauffer" models with the 2-passenger back seat and over-the-top rear seat amenities will be imported to the US. The Equus is used as a limo in Korea. People in the US who can afford a chauffeur are usually not going to purchase a Hyundai.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:44 AM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View VivienM's Photo Album

VivienM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
I doubt that very many of the "chauffer" models with the 2-passenger back seat and over-the-top rear seat amenities will be imported to the US. The Equus is used as a limo in Korea. People in the US who can afford a chauffeur are usually not going to purchase a Hyundai.
There might be a few exceptions though, e.g. Korean diplomats. (There's a Genesis or two with diplomatic plates floating around here. I'd assume one would see the same thing in DC.)

Then again, do embassy cars need to be US-spec, FMVSS/EPA/etc-compliant cars, or can they bring in a KDM spec car?
Old 07-05-2010, 09:58 AM
View wallymn's Photo Album

wallymn is on a distinguished road

I bought the Genesis because it is a performance sedan... not a luxo barge... At the size this horse comes in at, I can't see any performance left.........

There is a market for this car I just don't think it overlaps a lot with the Genesis owners crowd....

build a "Hi Po" Genesis with flappy paddle gear box, performance shift patterns... a turbo option on the V-8 (for torque not HP)... adjustable suspension settings, and seats with more lateral support and I would pay for an upgrade...
Old 07-05-2010, 12:41 PM
View MADDMOE's Photo Album

MADDMOE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MADDMOE Send a message via Yahoo to MADDMOE

plus if you really noticed that the equus up front in the drivers compartment is nothing more than a genesis & i doubt very seriously that my wife will allow me to sit in the back while she drives me around hell she doesnt want to touch my genesis now because shes afraid of getting a scratch on it & having me blow up ( yes im very anal about my baby )
Old 07-05-2010, 02:09 PM
View Bernie's Photo Album

Bernie is on a distinguished road

MADMOE,

I solved that problem by buying her one also.

Bernie
Continental ExtremeContact DWS P245/40R19 low-profile tires
KDM Wing Emblem (Front/Rear/Steering)
LED Lighting (Door Sills/Rear Plate/Footwells)
Painted Black Brake Calipers

My wife's: 2010 Titanium Silver w/Black Interior
3.8L with Premium Package
KDM Wing Emblem (Front/Rear/Wheels)
LED Lighting (Door Sills/Rear Plate/Footwells)
Painted Black Brake Calipers
Old 07-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View VivienM's Photo Album

VivienM is on a distinguished road

Remove this ad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
MADMOE,

I solved that problem by buying her one also.

Bernie
This is a little OT, but how do you find the suspension between the two cars?