Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Forums - 3.8 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 R-Spec V8 > Wheels, Tires, Detailing and Appearance Modifications
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

Wheels, Tires, Detailing and Appearance Modifications Discussions regarding wheels, tires, detailing and interior/exterior modifications.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: Removing Shifter Knob?

Old 06-21-2010, 06:57 PM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View TEF's Photo Album

TEF is on a distinguished road
Default Removing Shifter Knob?

Remove this ad
I would like to route a sirius antenna cable into the storage area of the center console, but have not been able to remove the shifter knob (an consequently the console itself). Per Hyundai's technical site, it appears that the knob is just pressed onto the shifter lever, but if so, it's really stuck onto the shaft. Has anyone attempted this? If so, how did one remove the knob without damage? So far, all other parts have been removed without problem starting with the rear parcel shelf and moving forward. To Hyundai's credit, all the trim fits well and easy to remove and replace. The car seems very well designed and constructed.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Drives a Hyundai 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View nearwater's Photo Album

nearwater is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Removing Shifter Knob?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEF View Post
Per Hyundai's technical site, it appears that the knob is just pressed onto the shifter lever, but if so, it's really stuck onto the shaft. Has anyone attempted this? If so, how did one remove the knob without damage?
I saw the diagram, and also thought it's just pressed in.
Tried pulling it out just for shiz and giggles... didn't budge.
Not sure what else is holding it in place.

Quote:
To Hyundai's credit, all the trim fits well and easy to remove and replace. The car seems very well designed and constructed.
I agree. Removed the door panels, seats, and trunk liners, etc. Very well built car indeed.

Dan
Old 06-22-2010, 09:22 PM
View Solano's Photo Album

Solano is on a distinguished road

Genesis 3.8 shifter knob can be removed by pulling it (knob) straight up. It's going to be a little hard and it will feel like you are going to break something while pulling it out. But it will come out, there are no screws to remove or locks to undo. It will easily pop back on. I pulled mine out when I had to route wires thru the console.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:42 AM
View TEF's Photo Album

Many thanks to Nearwater and Solano. You confirmed that shift knob was a friction fit to lever and, boy, what a fit. Tried pulling with hands, but due awkward position, made up a simple tool instead. Using a notched 18" length of plywood and second 13" piece I constructed a simple lever device. I placed 13" piece virtically on passenger side of console to serve as a fulcrum. I hooked the base of knob in notch of 18" piece and placed one end on top of fulcrum. Then one just pulls up on the other end and knobs comes off, but it stills requires a lot of force. However, there is no damage to console or one's lower back.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:04 PM
Drives a Hyundai 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View nearwater's Photo Album

nearwater is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Many thanks to Nearwater and Solano. You confirmed that shift knob was a friction fit to lever and, boy, what a fit. Tried pulling with hands, but due awkward position, made up a simple tool instead. Using a notched 18" length of plywood and second 13" piece I constructed a simple lever device. I placed 13" piece virtically on passenger side of console to serve as a fulcrum. I hooked the base of knob in notch of 18" piece and placed one end on top of fulcrum. Then one just pulls up on the other end and knobs comes off, but it stills requires a lot of force. However, there is no damage to console or one's lower back.
That's ingenious!
I'll use your method if I ever need to remove that little son of a gun.

Dan
Old 04-14-2014, 08:02 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Doubled613's Photo Album

Doubled613 is on a distinguished road

Can you show pic of this tool you made?
Old 04-21-2014, 11:15 AM
View TEF's Photo Album

Per your request are three photo of my special "tool". From photo one, you can see that it just two pieces of (scrap) wood. The longer one, made of plywood, is notched (at the blue painter's tape) to the size of the shifter shaft. The second has a small cleat attached to one end. Photos 2 and 3 show the two positioned on the knob/shaft. One simply lifts the end on the passenger-seat side and the knob will pop off. It will not damage the knob of any other items. The only critical measurements is the length of the fulcum side and the width of the notch. Also, since the notched piece is so thin, I'd recommend plywood as a single-ply board will likely break under the force.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo1.JPG (113.2 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg photo2.JPG (91.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg photo3.JPG (111.6 KB, 61 views)