Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Coupe Forums - 2.0T and 3.8 V6 > Hyundai Genesis Coupe Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Hyundai Genesis Coupe Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics Discussions regarding satellite/stereo and electrical systems including GPS navigation and bluetooth.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: Ipod problems with DIS Tech package in 2010 models

Old 05-02-2010, 01:01 AM
Drives a Hyundai In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View Socrates's Photo Album

Socrates is on a distinguished road
Default Ipod problems with DIS Tech package in 2010 models

Remove this ad
Hi everybody, I'm considering buying a Genesis and was leaning towards the Tech package until I saw these threads about the flawed ipod integration:

http://www.genesisowners.com/hyundai...ead.php?t=4474

http://www.genesisowners.com/hyundai...read.php?t=631

I went to a Hyundai dealer today and hooked up my 120GB Classic to see for myself. To be specific, my primary concerns with the tech package were:

1) scrolling through the artists/songs/albums is too slow;

2) no random function;

Sure enough, when scrolling through the artists, it was very slow turning the DIS wheel. Then the salesman started pushing the wheel up and back rather than turning, and using this method in rapid succession, scrolling was much improved. It was not super fast, but it was satisfactory.

Regarding the second concern, once in an album, he pulled up a menu and set it to random, and it worked fine.

Given the above, I'm feeling more confident about buying the tech package. I'm wondering if these issues weren't resolved for the 2010 model. I'd be curious to hear from 2010 tech owners who use the ipod.

Tonight I found this extremely disturbing thread about the bass/treble/mid settings resetting in vehicles with the touch-screen nav/14 speaker system.

http://www.genesisowners.com/hyundai...ead.php?t=4286

Does anybody know if this has been fixed for 2010?

My current car is an Infiniti G35, and its Bose sound system is so harsh with mid range than I no longer attempt to listen to music on it. The sound system is extremely important to me. I want to make sure that I buy the right car.

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:45 AM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View krunchy's Photo Album

krunchy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ipod problems with DIS Tech package in 2010 models

I'm been the proud owner of a 4.6 with tech package for only a few days now and have to say that you will not be disappointed with the sound quality of the stereo. I design professional sound systems for a living and cannot abide with poor sound quality in my car, at home or at work and my Genesis does not disapoint me in the least. The system needs an extra octave of bass extension which I plan to take care of next week with the addition of a sub-woofer and associated power amp. Other than that it sounds better than any of my previous car stereos. Kudos to Lexicon for producing a first class OEM stereo.

I haven't played around too much with my ipod in the car yet so can't comment on it's ease of use. Due to the fact that my music collection is quite large and won't fit on any iPod, I have elected to store all of it (approx 30,000 titles ripped to 320Kbps 44.1KHz mp3 files) on a 320GB mini drive so that I can play whatever I want, when I want it! Due to the slow scrolling ability of the system that you mentioned earlier, you can imagine takes forever to scroll through 30,000 files and I have discovered that getting the right file structure on the hard drive is critical. I use a great app on my PC called Media Monkey that allows me to arrange my music files and store them to the 320GB drive in logical folders (logical to me at least) that make it easier to find what I want without frustration.

One downside to this method is that it takes the system 30 to 50 seconds to connect and load the directories off the hard drive so I can't just jump in my car and have instant music.

Hyundai has a bit of work to do on the ease of use of the system when using digital music files on an iPod or portable drive. In my opinion, the sound quality more than makes up for any idiosyncrasies with the way the system works. But then again, I've always been willing to put up with a bit of pain to get good sound.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:40 AM
View TimeOut's Photo Album

TimeOut is on a distinguished road

These audio systems in new cars are designed mainly for USB flash drives and manufacturers still add the iPod integration option because, iPod is popular. But, I haven't heard about a single car yet where the iPod integration works flawless.

In my case, I had a BMW with the DICE iPod kit and it never worked 100% for me. With my Genesis 2010 Tech, I decided to give up using my 5th Gen iPod 30g because, the DIS unit doesn't do random songs within a Playlist and because the DIS unit was draining the iPod battery when the car was off. This caused that every time I turned On the car in the morning, my iPod rebooted and began playing the first song of the first playlist. Very annoying.

Now, I have a 8Gb USB flash drive that I bought for just $20 bucks and it works like a charm. Heck, the stupid iPod cable for the Genesis costed me more that this USB flash drive. Ok, you cannot have playlists in a flash drive but, the DIS lets you do random songs.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post
I decided to give up using my 5th Gen iPod 30g because, the DIS unit doesn't do random songs within a Playlist and because the DIS unit was draining the iPod battery when the car was off. This caused that every time I turned On the car in the morning, my iPod rebooted and began playing the first song of the first playlist. Very annoying.
Is your car an 09 or a '10?
Old 05-02-2010, 03:08 PM
View TimeOut's Photo Album

TimeOut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
Is your car an 09 or a '10?
2010 V8 Tech.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:26 PM
View lilxskull's Photo Album

lilxskull is on a distinguished road

Can you guys play movies off of your Ipods or flashdrives. If so what format is it in .avi?
Old 05-02-2010, 11:39 PM
Drives a Hyundai 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View nearwater's Photo Album

nearwater is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My current car is an Infiniti G35, and its Bose sound system is so harsh with mid range than I no longer attempt to listen to music on it.
Please don't even compare the Lexicon with the 'Blose' system.
EVERY SINGLE BOSE System I've heard are flat out POS.
I'm sorry for the harsh statement, but it is indeed garbage.

Quote:
The sound system is extremely important to me. I want to make sure that I buy the right car.
You're buying the right car. There are some tweaks I want to make with the Lexicon, but for a factory system, it's superb.
Also try out the ELS in the newer Acuras, especially the TL Tech package.
They're VERY good as well.

Good luck.

Dan
Old 05-03-2010, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater View Post
Please don't even compare the Lexicon with the 'Blose' system.
I didn't.

Quote:
EVERY SINGLE BOSE System I've heard are flat out POS.
I'm sorry for the harsh statement, but it is indeed garbage.
Don't apologize. I agree. That's why I'm buying a different car.

Quote:
Also try out the ELS in the newer Acuras, especially the TL Tech package.
They're VERY good as well.
I did look at the Acura, and while it is better than the Bose, it had too much midrange for my taste, and it lacked a midrange control.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:10 AM
View ASHDUMP's Photo Album

ASHDUMP is on a distinguished road

If you play the right media the Lexicon system sounds amazing. 5.1 and 7.1

I typically just use MP3 format most compressed to 320kbps.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:03 AM
View nearwater's Photo Album

nearwater is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I didn't.

Don't apologize. I agree. That's why I'm buying a different car.

I did look at the Acura, and while it is better than the Bose, it had too much midrange for my taste, and it lacked a midrange control.
If sound system is the only reason you're buying a different car, wouldn't it be a cheaper solution to go aftermarket?
I know it's not easy to tune an aftermarket system like the factory higher end systems, but with the right equipments and time, you can tune the system to your liking. Just a thought.

Did you listen to the Lexicon system enough?
Did you like it better than the ELS system?
I compared the two with the same test CD I have, and thought both of them sounded very good although the Genny had more of a warmer sound to it.
I wish I had a chance to listen DVD-A in the ELS... In the Genesis, it sounds fantastic.

Dan
Old 05-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View newownerinorange's Photo Album

newownerinorange is on a distinguished road

I have 2010 V6 with tech and first generation I touch. I tried everything and can not get to play random. What menu did you use? Also the Lexicon does not read most CD/DVD's. It is much, much worse compared to the Lexus base or Mark Levinson system. I agree with the other posts that the sound is anemic at best and definitely not comparable to Mark Levinson or Harmon on the Mercedes - however these are 2-3 times the price of the Genesis so over all not bad for the money.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:27 PM
View QQ007's Photo Album

QQ007 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Regarding the second concern, once in an album, he pulled up a menu and set it to random, and it worked fine.
I think the dealer may have shown you a Genesis without the tech package. I believe the lack of Ramdon feature is unique to tech package only.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:45 AM
Drives a Hyundai Equus Ultimate
View cliffbig's Photo Album

cliffbig is on a distinguished road

In the 2009, there is no "random" with the tech package. Are you sure you weren't shown either the basic stereo or the 14 speaker Lexicon system rather than the 17 speaker system?

If they've added random to the 2010 model tech package, that would be a real improvement. In the 2009, iPod integration is crude and cumbersome.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:25 AM

Remove this ad
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffbig View Post
If they've added random to the 2010 model tech package, that would be a real improvement. In the 2009, iPod integration is crude and cumbersome.
There is a random feature in the 2010 tech package. Of this, I'm positive. I witnessed two different salesman in two different dealerships with two different tech Genesis's pull up a menu with the DIS that allowed for random. Having said that, it is not a true random. From my testing, the random will reshuffle every time the car is turned off. This will lead to repeat songs before other songs have been played. The functionality of this sort of random is so limited as to practically be worthless.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Drives a Hyundai Equus Ultimate
View cliffbig's Photo Album

cliffbig is on a distinguished road

Quote:
There is a random feature in the 2010 tech package. Of this, I'm positive. I witnessed two different salesman in two different dealerships with two different tech Genesis's pull up a menu with the DIS that allowed for random.
Can anyone with the 2010 17-speaker Lexicon tech package (a) verify, and (B) walk us through the steps necessary to randomize play and where the random selection indicator is found?

And it would seem that, if this can be done in the 2010 Genesis, there's no reason that a software upgrade to the 2009 couldn't make this possible as well.