Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Forums - 3.8 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 R-Spec V8 > General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion Forum for discussions regarding the Hyundai Genesis Sedan that don't fit specifically anywhere else.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: Car bra for sedan?

Old 04-21-2010, 11:14 PM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Dano5050's Photo Album

Dano5050 is on a distinguished road
Angry Car bra for sedan?

Remove this ad
Has anyone found a front end bra (not clear bra) for the 4 door sedan Genesis
yet ? (one road trip and I have a chip)

Old 04-22-2010, 12:32 AM
Drives a Hyundai 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View TJPark01's Photo Album

TJPark01 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Car bra for sedan?

I've been looking and I have only seen aftermkt ones. I saw a car with the bra on yesterday and it looks horrible. I think I might wait to get the whole front bumper painted if it gets too bad. Otherwise, it's pretty much cost of doing business.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:03 AM
View Disaster's Photo Album

Disaster is on a distinguished road

There is a thread talking about clear film bras which don't mess with the appearance of the car so much, though, IMHO, the prices are a bit steep. If you are can install it yourself the cost is a little better.

Videos showing advantages of 3M films.

YouTube- Scotchguard 3M Paint Protection Film Product Overview
YouTube- 3m Auto Film Gravel Test

Thread on films.

http://www.genesisowners.com/hyundai...ead.php?t=3497

Link to films cut for Genesis.

http://www.invisiblemask.com/cgi-bin...&model=Genesis

P.S. We've already got 2 nasty gouges in the front bumper of our Genesis after only 3 months and now I'm thinking of trying to apply one of these kits.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:05 AM
View ASHDUMP's Photo Album

ASHDUMP is on a distinguished road

Now that I've been detailing my car and paying more attention to its cosmetics; at the rate I'm going, I'll have to paint the bumper by next summer!

My hood is looking OK, but my bumper is getting pitted.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:24 AM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View dg_moore's Photo Album

dg_moore is on a distinguished road

I just got mine done yesterday (full front wrap with 3M Venture Shield - everything from the bumper back to the front doors, including lights and mirror backs, plus a strip on top of the rear bumper to protect against luggage dings). Looks great - can't tell it's on the car (no line where the film ends on the hood because it covers the entire hood and is wrapped around the eges). It was a tad pricey ($1200), but no more than a couple of body shop repairs/repaints would cost, and is guaranteed for the life of the car.

I think the strap-ons are really ugly, and they are hard on the paint because they move around and cause abrasion.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Supporting Member
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View scottdk's Photo Album

scottdk is on a distinguished road

I'm with Doug on this, "I think the strap-ons are really ugly"

....and should be left on the '87 rusty Camaro where they belong
Old 04-22-2010, 11:52 AM
View nearwater's Photo Album

nearwater is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHDUMP View Post
Now that I've been detailing my car and paying more attention to its cosmetics; at the rate I'm going, I'll have to paint the bumper by next summer!

My hood is looking OK, but my bumper is getting pitted.
I noticed the same on mine.
If possible, I use local roads instead of highways on shorter trips because of the stone chips I get.
God, I hate stone chips and I've already got quite a few on my front bumper.

I hope the clearcoat was as thick as my old Vette. I gotta say that those Vettes have one of the toughest clearcoats.

Dan
Old 04-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View OBCT's Photo Album

OBCT is on a distinguished road

I picked up a Colgan sports bra from AutoAnything [link]. It fits perfectly. AA also offers regular (full frontal) bras and mirror bras.

I have 4 pictures of the sports bra, installed, in my photo album [link].

To be honest, I don't prefer it, aesthetically speaking, to the natural, bra-less look. It gets a big *meh* from me. It does serve a purpose, though, and I figure it will be a worthwhile investment even if it's only on for those two summer road trips we take each year.

Re-badged trunk, wheel caps and steering wheel with KDM "Genesis" wings. Installed Diamond Cut IR window tint; fronts @ 63%, rears @ 50% VLT. Added Chrome Trim to pillars between side windows (6 piece) [.] Installed clear XPEL Protection Film on head & fog lights.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:04 PM
View Disaster's Photo Album

Disaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBCT View Post
I picked up a Colgan sports bra from AutoAnything [link]. It fits perfectly. AA also offers regular (full frontal) bras and mirror bras.

I have 4 pictures of the sports bra, installed, in my photo album [link].

To be honest, I don't prefer it, aesthetically speaking, to the natural, bra-less look. It gets a big *meh* from me. It does serve a purpose, though, and I figure it will be a worthwhile investment even if it's only on for those two summer road trips we take each year.

Gets a big YUCK from me....but then, I've never even liked bras on cheap cars. Worse, that isn't where the damage is happening on my car. The hood is perfect. All the damage is occuring on the soft plastic bumper.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:46 AM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View mikec's Photo Album

mikec is on a distinguished road

I also have the Colgan bra from AutoAnything. It comes in a couple pieces: one for the leading edge of the hood and one that covers the whole bumper & grill area. It fits pretty well. At first I worried about it staying attached; the clips that go to the bottom/rear of the bumper don't seem to grip tightly. I used pliers to tweak them a little. It's never come off. They have versions for cars with or without the parking sensors; the bra openings line up with the sensors quite well - it seems to be of decent quality. I don't know if they have a version for the 2010 cars with the adaptive cruise control... my car bra has a screen-door style mesh over the main and lower grills; this would probably confuse the 2010 cruise. Not an issue on my 2009 Tech.

I use it for the long drive to visit my folks a couple times a year; the state they live in uses ash (and dinky rocks) on the roads for ice... added to the salt. That stuff sandblasts the nose of vehicles if somebody is in front of you kicking it up. That's the only time I have the bra installed. It's worked fine.

One thing: AutoAnything emails you tons of sales/promos once they know who you are.

mike c.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Drives a Hyundai In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View Bocatrip's Photo Album

Bocatrip is on a distinguished road

One of the best investments to make with today's vulnerable paint is the clear bra. It is pricey, but in the long run protects the lower front end from nasty looking chips. Most importantly is to get it installed from a professional as the installation is key for a good job. It's a lot cheaper than getting the front bumper repainted every few years.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:33 PM
View postalav8's Photo Album

postalav8 is on a distinguished road

I have gone round and round with the clear bra. Came to the conclusion that I will use touch up paint for chips. When I can not stand it anymore, just get the front repainted. Figure the cost will be about the same as a clear bra in the long run.

This car picks up more bug smashes on the front than anything I have owned. Have to use a quick detail spray after a short drive. Never though I would say this, but I can not wait for it to heat up out here in Arizona so the bugs go away.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:38 PM

The other advantage of the clear bra is that the bugs and debris can be removed relatively easily with some soap and water with little worry about the bugs leaving stains on the paint.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:45 PM
View postalav8's Photo Album

postalav8 is on a distinguished road

Remove this ad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocatrip View Post
The other advantage of the clear bra is that the bugs and debris can be removed relatively easily with some soap and water with little worry about the bugs leaving stains on the paint.
I keep it waxed fairly good and the quick detail spray removes the fresh kills rapidly. I have heard that a spray of pam on a clean bumper helps with the quick removal ,afraid to try.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by postalav8 View Post
I keep it waxed fairly good and the quick detail spray removes the fresh kills rapidly. I have heard that a spray of pam on a clean bumper helps with the quick removal ,afraid to try.
I use Plexus. It's a great product for the plastic bra as well as glass.