Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Forums - 3.8 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 R-Spec V8 > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

Hyundai Genesis Sedan Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics Discussions regarding satellite/stereo and electrical systems including GPS navigation and bluetooth.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: Difference between 17 & 14 speaker Lexicon system?

Old 04-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Gabe's Photo Album

Gabe is on a distinguished road
Default Difference between 17 & 14 speaker Lexicon system?

Remove this ad
I was curious as to the difference between the 2 systems?

1. Does the wattage vary between the 2?

2. Where are the extra 3 speakers in the 17 speaker system?

3. How many amps do both systems use? Separate for the mids and highs? And 1 for the sub?

Thanks for the feback

Old 04-21-2010, 08:31 PM
View MichaelOne's Photo Album

MichaelOne is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Difference between 17 & 14 speaker Lexicon system?

Plenty of information here:

http://hyundai.lexicon.com/system.aspx
Old 04-22-2010, 01:06 AM
View Gabe's Photo Album

Gabe is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the link that was helpful.

I noticed where the extra 3 speakers were placed in the 17 speaker system.

It said that the 11 channel amplifier was pushing around 500 watts of power but did not specify if that was the same output for both systems? Being the only difference the 3 extra speakers and a different amp?

Anybody else want to chime in after they look at the link provided above?
Old 04-22-2010, 04:13 AM
View Mark_888's Photo Album

Mark_888 will become famous soon enough

The 17 speaker system is a discreet 7.1 surround sound system designed to handle native 5.1+ signals from a DVD or DVD-A. This is similar to what you would find in a home theater receiver.

The 14 speaker system is simulated 5.1 surround sound from stereo CD/MP3/iPod, etc sources (since it does not handle DVD sources).

Obviously, the 17 speaker system can also produce surround sound from stereo sources like the 14 speaker system.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:18 AM
Drives a Hyundai In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View DavidNJ's Photo Album

DavidNJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
the Hyundai Genesis’ power amplifier utilizes eleven channels with a total system amplification rating of over 500 watts. Nine channels are each capable of producing 40 watts from 20Hz to 20kHz with 10% THD (Total Harmonic Distortion). Two subwoofer channels are each capable of producing 80 watts with 10% THD.
10% THD? They celebrating 4/20?

I wonder what the power levels are at usable distortion levels. It looks like there are two subwoofer channels but one subwoofer. What's that about?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Drives a Hyundai Equus Signature
View BacktoHyundaibychoice's Photo Album

BacktoHyundaibychoice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNJ View Post
10% THD? They celebrating 4/20?

I wonder what the power levels are at usable distortion levels. It looks like there are two subwoofer channels but one subwoofer. What's that about?
The link that BayWayRic provided advertises 10% total harmonic distortion (THD), this is not an accurate representation of the architecture of the stereo system. I would be willing to bet this is assuming 10% total harmonic distortion (THD) when sound is being reproduced from a 2 channel source, to a 7.1 or 5.1 source. Obviously signal will be created from nothing, or even spliced away from something.

This is where the signal processing of the Lexicon technology outweighs Mark Levinson's. On the fly processing allows for minimal loss from original signals, while being able to truely reproduce the signal, especially in such closed quarters. In the eyes (and ears, lol) of an audio engineer) that makes it easy - closed quarters (e.g. a car). A home, a theatre, or studio, is entirely different.

Additionally, I was able to call a representative of mine who works for Harman International, who "off the record" informed me, while had no immediate white papers in front of him he was fairly certain the amplifier had been toned down, in terms of wattage, to provide as little distortion as possible.

It is also nice to note, the Mark Levinson system used in the current year model Lexus LS 460 is 19 speaker 450 watts 7.1 architecture. using the ML3-12 Amp. Notably similar to the Hyundai's amp, but with less power, older firmware, and different crossover topology

More here:
http://www.genesisowners.com/hyundai...ead.php?p=5995
Old 04-22-2010, 10:53 AM
View ImInPA's Photo Album

ImInPA is on a distinguished road

I believe that both the 17 and 14 speaker systems both have the same wattage (528 ithink I read somewhere). The 17 speaker systems adds two midrange drivers in the front doors and either and additional tweeter or midrange in the dash center location. In addition, the 17 speaker system adds the ability to read and decode DVD's (14 speaker system is CD only) and the requisite lexicon sound processing magic that enables the processor to matrix out a surround sound image from two channel sources. Both systems are pretty excellent in my honest opinion.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:00 PM
View DavidNJ's Photo Album

DavidNJ is on a distinguished road

What I was mentioning is that 10% THD isn't usable; you are looking for .1% or .01%. 528 watts? probably more like 100watts.

The compensation is made with high efficiency speakers. However, lower efficiency ones are often more accurate. All studio monitors are self powered.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoHyundaibychoice View Post
The link that BayWayRic provided advertises 10% total harmonic distortion (THD), this is not an accurate representation of the architecture of the stereo system. I would be willing to bet this is assuming 10% total harmonic distortion (THD) when sound is being reproduced from a 2 channel source, to a 7.1 or 5.1 source. Obviously signal will be created from nothing, or even spliced away from something.
Probably has nothing to do with that. The 10% distortion level is at the advertised power rating and at the frequency range of 20 Hz to 20 kHz. At more realistic power levels and in the the frequency between 50 Hz and 15 kHz (where almost all the music is located) the THD is probably less than .5%.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:40 PM
View ImInPA's Photo Album

ImInPA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoHyundaibychoice View Post

This is where the signal processing of the Lexicon technology outweighs Mark Levinson's. On the fly processing allows for minimal loss from original signals, while being able to truely reproduce the signal, especially in such closed quarters. In the eyes (and ears, lol) of an audio engineer) that makes it easy - closed quarters (e.g. a car). A home, a theatre, or studio, is entirely different.

Additionally, I was able to call a representative of mine who works for Harman International, who "off the record" informed me, while had no immediate white papers in front of him he was fairly certain the amplifier had been toned down, in terms of wattage, to provide as little distortion as possible.

It is also nice to note, the Mark Levinson system used in the current year model Lexus LS 460 is 19 speaker 450 watts 7.1 architecture. using the ML3-12 Amp. Notably similar to the Hyundai's amp, but with less power, older firmware, and different crossover topology

More here:
http://www.genesisowners.com/hyundai...ead.php?p=5995
Keep in mind that Mark Levinson is also a Harmon International company.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Drives a Hyundai 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View nearwater's Photo Album

nearwater is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImInPA View Post
Keep in mind that Mark Levinson is also a Harmon International company.
By reading his post mentioning the specific model number of the amplifier, I'm sure he's aware of that.

Dan
Old 04-23-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater View Post
By reading his post mentioning the specific model number of the amplifier, I'm sure he's aware of that.

Dan
What Lexicon brings to the table within Harman International is their advanced signal processing used for 7.1 home theater systems. They applied their skills in reproducing the 7.1 surround sound environment in a car. There is no need to have multiple companies within Harman making similar car amplifiers.

Mark Levinson produces very high-end pre-amps, amps, and a few other electronic components for home audio systems (their amps cost up to ten's of thousands of dollars each and weighing hundreds of pounds). Many of the high-end Harman brands like Levinson are used for marketing purposes of auto systems, even though all (or part) of the solution is actually made by other parts of Harman.

For example, neither Mark Levinson nor Lexicon has ever made speakers sold individually under their own brand (either for car or home use) and they have never sold audio components for cars (apart from OEM solutions). I would guess that the Lexicon and Mark Levinson car speakers are made by the Infinity division of Harman, which has made home and car speakers (as well as car amps) for a long time.

BTW, Mark Levinson (the founder of the company sold to Harman) was married to Kim Cattrall (Sex in the City, et al) from 1998 to 2004.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:24 AM
Drives a Hyundai
View Socrates's Photo Album

Socrates is on a distinguished road

I am currently shopping for a Genesis and have listened to both. I expected them to sound roughly the same with one simply missing three mid-range speakers.

I was surprised to find that the 17 speaker tech version sounds vastly superior to the 14 speaker version. I could barely stand to listen to XM on the 14 speaker Lexicon; the sound was too compressed and harsh.

17 speaker on ipod > 17 speaker on XM > 14 speaker on ipod > 14 speaker on XM
Old 05-05-2010, 04:08 PM
Drives a Hyundai 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View nearwater's Photo Album

nearwater is on a distinguished road

Remove this ad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
I am currently shopping for a Genesis and have listened to both. I expected them to sound roughly the same with one simply missing three mid-range speakers.

I was surprised to find that the 17 speaker tech version sounds vastly superior to the 14 speaker version. I could barely stand to listen to XM on the 14 speaker Lexicon; the sound was too compressed and harsh.

I'm surprised that the difference was that much noticeable.
I didn't consider the non-tech, so I didn't bother listening to the 14-speaker system.

Try listening to DVD-A discs on the tech pack Lexicon.
Difference is like night and day.

Dan

Last edited by nearwater; 05-06-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8
View Aquineas's Photo Album

Aquineas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates View Post

Hmmm.. I'm not an audiophile (and you all seem to know a lot more about this stuff than I do), but it seems to me that XM sounds pretty crappy no matter what stereo I'm listening to.