Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Forums - 3.8 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 R-Spec V8 > General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion Forum for discussions regarding the Hyundai Genesis Sedan that don't fit specifically anywhere else.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: Replacing Front Passenger Seat on the Genesis

Old 03-29-2010, 11:13 PM
Drives a Hyundai In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View cw_353128's Photo Album

cw_353128 is on a distinguished road
Question Replacing Front Passenger Seat on the Genesis

Remove this ad
My wife and I do a lot of traveling and we split the driving 50/50. I have read much about the Hyundai Genesis and went for a test drive today with high hopes of purchasing one at our local dealship. We came away from our visit very disappointed with the front passenger seat. We could not believe that for a vehicle as nice as the Genesis, Hyundai did not have an option to add the same controls found on the driver seat to the passenger seat. Basically, the passenger seat base moves forward and backward. Most luxury sedans give you an option to have the same seat controls on the driver and passenger seats.

Question: Is it possible to install with controls a driver seat on the passenger side of the Genesis? Has anyone ever tried this?

I know, I know! What a crazy idea! Not if two people plan to put 100,000 miles on the car over the next 4-5 years.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:22 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
View Dimitry's Photo Album

Dimitry is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Replacing Front Passenger Seat on the Genesis

I'm sure the KDM version has the full movement features - but it would be a hefty price to find and import it and install it here
Old 03-30-2010, 12:32 AM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Mark_888's Photo Album

Mark_888 will become famous soon enough

When you say the passenger seat moves forward and backward only, I assume you understand that the seat back angle is also adjustable. Are these really not sufficient enough for a passenger?
Old 03-30-2010, 12:52 AM
Drives a Hyundai 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View flyboy2's Photo Album

flyboy2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw_353128 View Post
My wife and I do a lot of traveling and we split the driving 50/50. I have read much about the Hyundai Genesis and went for a test drive today with high hopes of purchasing one at our local dealship. We came away from our visit very disappointed with the front passenger seat. We could not believe that for a vehicle as nice as the Genesis, Hyundai did not have an option to add the same controls found on the driver seat to the passenger seat. Basically, the passenger seat base moves forward and backward. Most luxury sedans give you an option to have the same seat controls on the driver and passenger seats.

Question: Is it possible to install with controls a driver seat on the passenger side of the Genesis? Has anyone ever tried this?

I know, I know! What a crazy idea! Not if two people plan to put 100,000 miles on the car over the next 4-5 years.

Thanks for your help.
CW for you to bring up something so trite deserves a trite response. Go spend $25K more and get a Mercedes. I personally think the passenger seat is more comfortable then the drivers seat-- 110K miles? Put a queen bed in the trunk. It's big enough.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:15 AM
View DavidNJ's Photo Album

DavidNJ is on a distinguished road

Hardly trite. It was a BIG complaint about the original M35/45 Infiniti and corrected in the third year of production. It is was a key distinguishing feature of family sedans to near-luxury/luxury sedans, although now many family sedans have it.

Tilting the passenger cushion is a necessary to adjustment to get adequate thigh support. Lumbar adjustment is available in many cars for the passenger.

Let's see what the 2011 is like. This would be a big issue for me also.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:46 AM
Drives a Hyundai Equus Signature
View GripperDon's Photo Album

GripperDon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to GripperDon

It telling someone their comment is trite, necessary?
Old 03-30-2010, 09:53 AM
View tjc78's Photo Album

tjc78 is on a distinguished road

It is a big deal for some. It was also a big complaint on the 2005+ Avalon and Toyota did the right thing in 08 offering a fully adjustable passenger seat as an option.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:57 AM
View nearwater's Photo Album

nearwater is on a distinguished road

Lack of height adjustment and the cooling feature on the passenger seat is disappointing, no doubt.
Heck, even a Buick LaCrosse/Lucerne have cooled seats on both fronts.
My better half is just as important, if not more, to me.

Dan
Old 03-30-2010, 11:02 AM
View flyboy2's Photo Album

flyboy2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripperDon View Post
It telling someone their comment is trite, necessary?
Yes. I can't stand winers, looky loos and stupid posts. The car is gathering excitement for "value and its looks". For someone to come on this site and say this and that is missing obviously doesn't realize that if these items were added then the car would lose that "value" because of an increased price. Then you're back to your Lexus, MB.

I admire the people that have purchased this car because they're leaders and innovators. There are three types of people in this World- Those that "make" things happen, those that "watch" things happen and those that say "what happened"?
Old 03-30-2010, 11:53 AM
View jwaters943's Photo Album

jwaters943 is on a distinguished road

I can't think of any easy/affordable way to add this feature so you might be better off looking elsewhere if it's a deal breaker for you.

FWIW, many manufacturers do this (Acura comes readily to mind).

'09 Hyundai Genesis 3.8
Current Mods:
35% Metallic Tint, KDM Wing Emblems (Front/Rear/Wheel Center Caps/Steering Wheel), Chrome Exterior Door Strips, LED Illuminated Door Sills,
Accessory Cargo Mat, Trunk Speaker Cover, Color-Matched Mud Guards, Spec-1 Design Lip Spoiler
Old 03-30-2010, 12:13 PM
View Sayantsi's Photo Album

Sayantsi is on a distinguished road

Assuming the wiring harness is capable of supporting such a seat, you'd need to have a seat bottom at least shipped over from Korea, or a whole seat if they don't come apart. From there its just a matter of installing the seat and powering it properly. There also may be an issue with the airbag system, since the passenger seat has pressure sensors that control the airbag, you'd need to see if they will work, or if you care.

Assuming Korean cars have 8-way adjustable passenger seats, its doable, you'd just need to cover the cost of shipping and installation.

Life's too short to drive boring cars.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:22 PM
View DavidNJ's Photo Album

DavidNJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy2 View Post
Yes. I can't stand winers, looky loos and stupid posts. The car is gathering excitement for "value and its looks". For someone to come on this site and say this and that is missing obviously doesn't realize that if these items were added then the car would lose that "value" because of an increased price. Then you're back to your Lexus, MB.

I admire the people that have purchased this car because they're leaders and innovators. There are three types of people in this World- Those that "make" things happen, those that "watch" things happen and those that say "what happened"?
We just thought you were rude. Now we know you are also uninformed.

This is a feature that was not on family sedans, bitterly complained about to many manufacturers when they send cars without it to the US, and corrected by Toyota, Nissan, etc.

That it is missing here is just an indication that someone in the product planning department didn't have an understanding of the market. A Honda Accord buyer stepping up wouldn't notice. Anyone who who buys luxury cars would...immediately.

Note, Hyundai isn't totally oblivious. They have Mercedes style power seat controls on the door for the Equus.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View ctrcbob's Photo Album

ctrcbob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater View Post
Lack of height adjustment and the cooling feature on the passenger seat is disappointing, no doubt.
Heck, even a Buick LaCrosse/Lucerne have cooled seats on both fronts.
My better half is just as important, if not more, to me.

Dan
Ditto!

It is important to me. Lucky for me, my wife mostly sits in the passenger seat. When I first had her drive, and I sat in the passenger seat, my first thought was WTF?

Mount Dora, FL (It Could Be Worse)
Penfield, NY (A Quiet Rochester Suburb)
Roswell, NM (Alien Central)

09 Genesis 4.6 Tech (Sold)
10 SHO Ecoboost Twin Turbo
11 MKZ
Old 03-30-2010, 01:51 PM
View oreipa's Photo Album

oreipa is on a distinguished road

Remove this ad
You cannot simply use a driver's seat as the seat airbag would then be on the inside of the car between the driver and passenger. Now a seat bottom mixed with a passenger seat back might be possible, but I've looked into buying OEM seats for other cars, and it's generally cost prohibitive.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:17 PM
View tjc78's Photo Album

tjc78 is on a distinguished road

Pure speculation here, however, I would assume that the power seat assembly can be removed from the seat bottom. That means you would be on the hook for the tracks/motors/ and switch assembly. You still wouldn't have the power lumber but would be able to have all 8 adjustments.

Having said that, quite a few years back on my 93 Taurus they had to replace the power seat assembly on the passenger side and IIRC the bill was over $1400 thank God I had an extended warranty on that car.

So as others have mentioned most likely the cost wouldn't be worth it. The parts alone have to be over $1000.