Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Forums - 3.8 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 R-Spec V8 > General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion Forum for discussions regarding the Hyundai Genesis Sedan that don't fit specifically anywhere else.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: Engine noise on cold start

Old 01-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View alanjyoung's Photo Album

alanjyoung is on a distinguished road
Default Engine noise on cold start

Remove this ad
My Genesis has a noticable noise on the cold start. The dealer says Hyundai says this is normal or within range. I dont think so. I purchased the vehicle in January of 2009 the noise was not prominent then. I live in Texas where I can't blame the noise on excessively cold winters. Basically the engine is a bit noisey anyway for the quality of the vehicle.
ADVISE!!

A.Y.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View ctrcbob's Photo Album

ctrcbob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Engine noise on cold start

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanjyoung View Post
My Genesis has a noticable noise on the cold start. The dealer says Hyundai says this is normal or within range. I dont think so. I purchased the vehicle in January of 2009 the noise was not prominent then. I live in Texas where I can't blame the noise on excessively cold winters. Basically the engine is a bit noisey anyway for the quality of the vehicle.
ADVISE!!

A.Y.
I also had noticable noise on cold starts last month when I was in North/West Texas. (Brownfield - Post - etc and Roswell NM) and from an overnight stay north of Fort Worth (Bridgeport/Denton area). It was COLD. I was using "warm weather oil" that I had from Florida. I changed the oil to a thinner recommended oil, and the cold start noise is no more. Now quiet.

Mount Dora, FL (It Could Be Worse)
Penfield, NY (A Quiet Rochester Suburb)
Roswell, NM (Alien Central)

09 Genesis 4.6 Tech (Sold)
10 SHO Ecoboost Twin Turbo
11 MKZ
Old 01-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View crhbobby's Photo Album

crhbobby is on a distinguished road

I too have noticed a slight knocking noise on a cold Indiana morning. One time it was prominent enough that it had me worried. Usually I let my car warm up for a minute or 2 when it is cold.

I use 5W20 oil, which I thought was appropriate for most temperatures.

Bob
Old 01-13-2010, 08:43 PM
View brihvac's Photo Album

brihvac is on a distinguished road

My car has done this since day one. Its pretty loud. I was at the dealer and started up a Genesis on the lot and it made the same noise.
Issue is the oil filter is mounted on the top of the engine. Hyundai does not have any kind of check valve to keep the oil from draining back into the pan. So when you start the car it is taking a second or to repump the oil to your filter and engine. Your noise is "dry start" from lack of oil. My wifes Sonata does the same thing but not as bad. Its a horrible design.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:06 AM
Supporting Member
View scottdk's Photo Album

scottdk is on a distinguished road

I guess I'll be the opposite in this thread. My engine is louder in warmer climates vs colder climates. I have the V8.

2009 4.6 with Tech package Black on Black
2012 Kia Optima SX 2.0 GDI-t
2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean H6
2006 Sonata LX 3.3L - Sold July 1, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/user/Scott1tothe7

2012 R Spec suspension conversion - Lip spoiler - R Spec wheels with wing emblems - KDM wing airbag - MagnaFlow setup - drilled/slotted rotors - painted grill - 245 45 19 Conti DW tires
Old 01-14-2010, 08:39 AM
View Disaster's Photo Album

Disaster is on a distinguished road

It is interesting how not all people are experiencing this...which should happen if it were a design issue. Could it be the different fill levels contributing? Some are filling to 4.5 quarts, while others to 5.5.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:30 AM
View Sayantsi's Photo Album

Sayantsi is on a distinguished road

I think it comes down to what people consider loud. Also, the emissions system makes the V8 at least idle rough on cold startup, not sure about the V6, so it would be normal for some noise and roughness.

Life's too short to drive boring cars.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I think it comes down to what people consider loud. Also, the emissions system makes the V8 at least idle rough on cold startup, not sure about the V6, so it would be normal for some noise and roughness.
It sounded like people were specifically talking about "knocking" like when what is heard from the lifters. "brihvac" said his wife's Sonata does the same thing so it doesn't sound like it is limited to the V8. By the way, I haven't heard this with our V6...yet, but we only have 600 miles or so on it...on the original factory oil.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:05 PM
View tjc78's Photo Album

tjc78 is on a distinguished road

My V6 clatters on every startup whether cold or hot. Naturally, in the colder temps we have now the first start in the morning is the worst. It lasts for about 2 secs and goes away completely. Even after only sitting for half hour I still can hear it if I listen.

I mentioned it to the dealer and of course got the standard answer "they all do it" I thought about persuing it further, however, my car is leased and don't think it will have any long term effects in 36K miles.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:55 PM
View brihvac's Photo Album

brihvac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjc78 View Post
My V6 clatters on every startup whether cold or hot. Naturally, in the colder temps we have now the first start in the morning is the worst. It lasts for about 2 secs and goes away completely. Even after only sitting for half hour I still can hear it if I listen.

I mentioned it to the dealer and of course got the standard answer "they all do it" I thought about persuing it further, however, my car is leased and don't think it will have any long term effects in 36K miles.
Mine is exactly like yours. Does it in cold and hot weather. Its worse when its colder out. It seems like it is getting louder. I bought my car outright but dont keep them too long. I also started a brand new Genesis on the lot and it made noise. Not as bad as mine, but it was there. Mine is a V6 not V8. Like I said, my wifes 3.3 V6 Sonata makes the same noise. Hers is not as bad, but she only has 3000 miles on it. I took my car back to the dealer with 700 miles on it and complained. I left it there overnight and they said they did not hear the sound. They must have been deaf. Its a really bad design flaw not to have something holding the oil in the filter. I dont care what anyone says, over time this dry start is prematurly wearing your engine.
Heres my thread I started when I first started having this issue:
http://genesisowners.com/hyundai-gen...ead.php?t=2224
Old 01-15-2010, 12:49 AM
Drives a Hyundai In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View 2010titanium's Photo Album

2010titanium is on a distinguished road

I STARTED 2 GENESIS ON THE LOT ODAY, AND HEARD THE NOISE, SOUND LIKE A SEWING MACHINE, MAYBE LIFTERS. IT DID CONCERN ME BUT THE SALESMAN TOLD ME IT WAS IN FOR SERVICE. DOES THE NOISE GO AWAY AS THE CAR WARMS UP? GOTTA TELL YOU, IT MADE ME WONDER ABOUT BUYING ONE, SHOULD i?
Old 01-15-2010, 02:14 AM

Until someone starts seeing premature engine failures, I don't think this is a huge concern. So far the highest mileage I've seen reported for the Genesis is 60,000. I imagine someone out there has put on more. Meanwhile there are Sonatas with much higher mileage and you don't hear about a rash of Sonata engine failures. I suspect it isn't an issue.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:35 AM
Supporting Member
View scottdk's Photo Album

scottdk is on a distinguished road

emdoller sent me a message saying he had the same issue with his 4.6 and he stated the following:

"Regarding the issue, the showed me a drawing of the valve train and showed me what they replaced. I don't know the spcecific nmae of the part as there were only part numbers. They said there was one other car that had this. They did not know until they called their " regional service rep""

I did notice my engine did not make this sound anymore when temp got below 30 degrees.

I'll see how things sound with the engine when I take the car out of storage in the spring. If I hear the sound again, I'll take the car to a different dealership to see what they can drum up.

2009 4.6 with Tech package Black on Black
2012 Kia Optima SX 2.0 GDI-t
2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean H6
2006 Sonata LX 3.3L - Sold July 1, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/user/Scott1tothe7

2012 R Spec suspension conversion - Lip spoiler - R Spec wheels with wing emblems - KDM wing airbag - MagnaFlow setup - drilled/slotted rotors - painted grill - 245 45 19 Conti DW tires
Old 01-15-2010, 03:21 AM
View Sayantsi's Photo Album

Sayantsi is on a distinguished road

Remove this ad
The V6 at least is a proven engine for durability and longevity, and I can't imagine the V8 being unreliable.

Life's too short to drive boring cars.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:05 PM
Drives a Hyundai In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View ImInPA's Photo Album

ImInPA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
It is interesting how not all people are experiencing this...which should happen if it were a design issue. Could it be the different fill levels contributing? Some are filling to 4.5 quarts, while others to 5.5.
Not all people may notice it or scrutinize it. Some may just not be sensitive to it. No real mystery here. Noises are one of the subjective and elusive issues with cars.