Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Forums - 3.8 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 R-Spec V8 > General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion Forum for discussions regarding the Hyundai Genesis Sedan that don't fit specifically anywhere else.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: How many Smart Keys?

Old 01-08-2010, 12:54 AM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View rdunegan's Photo Album

rdunegan is on a distinguished road
Default How many Smart Keys?

Remove this ad
Seems to me my Genesis should have been provided with two Smart Keys. My Genesis only came with one and another one costs about $300 with programming. How many Smart Keys did you other owners receive with your Genesis?

The Owner's Manual suggests that if you lose a Smart Key, you should have the vehicle towed to the dealer. From the middle of the Sonoran Desert?? You could die first!

My suggestion: If you don't have someone with you to carry a second Smart Key, keep a second Smart Key somewhere accessible inside the car. It must be wrapped in aluminum foil so it will not be able to transmit its signal. I tried this ... it works. If you are in a situation where you might lose your primary Smart Key, remove the mechanical key and hang it around your neck or belt and use it to get into the car. Then retrieve the second Smart Key and remove the foil to start the car as usual.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:03 AM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View knight's Photo Album

knight is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How many Smart Keys?

I received two Smart Keys. The cars are delivered with two!

-knight
Old 01-08-2010, 01:28 AM
Drives a Hyundai In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View LLT's Photo Album

LLT is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdunegan View Post
Seems to me my Genesis should have been provided with two Smart Keys. My Genesis only came with one and another one costs about $300 with programming. How many Smart Keys did you other owners receive with your Genesis?

The Owner's Manual suggests that if you lose a Smart Key, you should have the vehicle towed to the dealer. From the middle of the Sonoran Desert?? You could die first!

My suggestion: If you don't have someone with you to carry a second Smart Key, keep a second Smart Key somewhere accessible inside the car. It must be wrapped in aluminum foil so it will not be able to transmit its signal. I tried this ... it works. If you are in a situation where you might lose your primary Smart Key, remove the mechanical key and hang it around your neck or belt and use it to get into the car. Then retrieve the second Smart Key and remove the foil to start the car as usual.
Did you buy it used? It should come with two fobs.

Pretty much any car today has a transponder of sorts in the key and requires dealer intervention if you lose the key - the Genesis is really no different. I'm not sure if Hyundai offers such a thing, but my Lexus LS came with a smart card I carry in my wallet. If I lose my wallet, I have bigger problems than having my car towed. There's a tiny, flat, mechanical key built into the smart card to allow re-entry if the battery in the transmitter (or car) dies.

I would investigate why you don't have the second key -- if you bought it new, the service or sales department probably misplaced it. They should program a new one, at no cost. If you bought it used, buy an additional transmitter from parts.com (dealer list $251.10 -- parts.com cost $179.03) and have it programmed... to be safe, have the dealer reset the keyless system rather than program an additional transmitter -- that way, an unknown transmitter isn't floating around from a previous owner.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:56 AM
Drives a Hyundai 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View motorsportsauthority's Photo Album

motorsportsauthority is on a distinguished road

I received 2. You should have been provided 2 if the car was purchased new. If you purchased a used or "pre-owned", there is a possibility of receiving only 1, and it'll be on you to get the 2nd.

2010 4.6L Sedan w/Tech
> Carbon Creations CF Hood/Trunks/Fenders/Trunk Spoiler/Front Grille (prototypes)| Paint Matched Roof Spoiler | CF Wrap Engine Cover | 3000k HID Fogs/Side Emitting Headlight LEDs | Blackout Headlights/Taillights | MSA Cat Deletes/Exhaust tips/short ram intake (prototype) | Hybrid Audio Speakers | Pioneer Subs and Amps | JBL MS8 | Demoda 22" Concerto | BC Racing Coilovers (prototype)

2010 3.8T Coupe Track 6sp (client's)
> Waaay too many mods to list.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:38 AM
View mikec's Photo Album

mikec is on a distinguished road

When new, the Genesis comes with two key fobs. The system can handle a max of two at a time as well - you can't add a third fob. If one is "lost" or destroyed, a dealer can program a replacement.

The FOBs are not "his" and "hers" either: i.e. the car won't recognize a difference between the two key fobs and automatically pre-select seat & mirror memory #1 or #2 depending on which FOB it sees. Some other vehicle brands will do this... not the Genesis (at least not the 2009s).

One forum member reported the dealer "loosing" one of his FOBs and they had to provide another... only to find it was sitting on top of the windshield, in the area where the wipers park. Having the key that close was enough to trigger "key is in the vehicle" logic of the car. See if you can start your car with your existing FOB nowhere near the car... if so, your missing FOB is somewhere inside the car or in the wiper area, etc.

Also, instead of wrapping in aluminum foil, what about just removing the battery from a backup FOB? You can stuff it into the FOB receiver slot in the dash (underneath the stereo) to get the car to start - that slot is there specifically for a FOB that can't transmit. The vehicle uses RFID technology (i.e. the car sends a signal that powers the FOB) to read the FOB using a backup method. You'll still need the mechanical key to unlock a front door to get into the vehicle though. I just carry both FOBs with me all the time. Maybe we can convince vehicle makers to add a Bluetooth "door unlock" mode to allow a cell-phone to transmit a "let me in" code to the vehicle as a backup.

mike c.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:54 AM
View Disaster's Photo Album

Disaster is on a distinguished road

You can find the FOBs online, Ebay and from some vendors for $30 bucks if I recall.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View kev4's Photo Album

kev4 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to kev4

Those FOB s are FOB covers not FOBs. Your FOB is about 300.00 to replace will these covers are 9.00. Ebay product from Korea
Old 01-08-2010, 01:48 PM
View rdunegan's Photo Album

rdunegan is on a distinguished road

I can't believe how many of you replied to my question and how helpful you have all been. Thanks!

My Genesis had 8700 miles on it but I still feel the dealer should have stressed the importance of having a spare Smart Key which I could have negotiated in the deal. Instead, he just sluffed it off ... "It only came with one" .... This is my first Smart Key, and I naively thought all I had to do was have the mechanical key duplicated by a locksmith. Live and learn. Guess I'll have to spring for the extra Smart Key myself since my bargaining power is gone!

Also learned about the mechanical key slot outside the trunk lid. Thanks again.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:16 PM
View Disaster's Photo Album

Disaster is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't give up that easy. Two new FOBs should have come with the new car. If the dealer lost one they owe you a replacement.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:29 PM
View ctrcbob's Photo Album

ctrcbob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
I wouldn't give up that easy. Two new FOBs should have come with the new car. If the dealer lost one they owe you a replacement.
The above is true, if you bought the car new.

If you bought the car used, at a Hyundai dealer, the dealer should/would know that it has two FOB's, not one, and I would be raising h.ll about them selling you a car with only one FOB and that they should get you another one pronto.

If you bought the car used, at anything other than a Hyundai dealer, you are SOL, even though they should/would know that they come with two FOB's, and you will just have to take the hit on an additional FOB.

Mount Dora, FL (It Could Be Worse)
Penfield, NY (A Quiet Rochester Suburb)
Roswell, NM (Alien Central)

09 Genesis 4.6 Tech (Sold)
10 SHO Ecoboost Twin Turbo
11 MKZ
Old 01-09-2010, 03:10 PM
View CanukV6's Photo Album

CanukV6 is on a distinguished road

You are all assuming that the Dealer had two Smart Keys when he bought the car. What if the original owner still has the second key? If you have a way of tracing the original owner (here in Ontario you can get a used car history from the license bureau) maybe he/she still has it.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukV6 View Post
You are all assuming that the Dealer had two Smart Keys when he bought the car. What if the original owner still has the second key? If you have a way of tracing the original owner (here in Ontario you can get a used car history from the license bureau) maybe he/she still has it.
Perhaps that original owner has a way of tracing who now owns the car, and he can now just come and steal it.

Get a new Smart Key, and have a dealer program your two (original and new) keys.

11 MKZ
Old 01-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Drives a Hyundai 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View mongo's Photo Album

mongo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdunegan View Post
I can't believe how many of you replied to my question and how helpful you have all been. Thanks!

My Genesis had 8700 miles on it but I still feel the dealer should have stressed the importance of having a spare Smart Key which I could have negotiated in the deal. Instead, he just sluffed it off ... "It only came with one" .... This is my first Smart Key, and I naively thought all I had to do was have the mechanical key duplicated by a locksmith. Live and learn. Guess I'll have to spring for the extra Smart Key myself since my bargaining power is gone!

Also learned about the mechanical key slot outside the trunk lid. Thanks again.
The dealer I purchased my car from told me on the day I went to pick up the car that despite all the previous references to the car coming with two key fobs, my Genesis only came with one key fob, but that I could purchase a second from them.

When I dangled the $39000 cashiers check in front of his face and told him he wasn't getting the check until I got two fobs, the second one mysteriously appeared.

Amazingly it was already programmed for the car.

What a coincidence.

Uh huh.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:13 PM

Remove this ad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo View Post
The dealer I purchased my car from told me on the day I went to pick up the car that despite all the previous references to the car coming with two key fobs, my Genesis only came with one key fob, but that I could purchase a second from them.

When I dangled the $39000 cashiers check in front of his face and told him he wasn't getting the check until I got two fobs, the second one mysteriously appeared.

Amazingly it was already programmed for the car.

What a coincidence.

Uh huh.
That is a stealer you don't want to trust for anything. Sure, he had the second fob. He figured he could get an extra $300+ from you. I wonder how many customers he has done this with!

11 MKZ
Old 01-10-2010, 03:26 PM
View CanukV6's Photo Album

CanukV6 is on a distinguished road

A friend of mine is in the Leasing business and he told me it is quite common for lease companies to keep a key for every vehicle they lease out, just in case they have to reposess it at some stage. That was fairly straightforward with conventional keys, but with these new smart keys maybe they hang onto one of the originals to save them the $300 cost of getting another one.