Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Coupe Forums - 2.0T and 3.8 V6 > General 2009-2014 Genesis Coupe Discussion
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

General 2009-2014 Genesis Coupe Discussion Forum for discussions specifically regarding the Hyundai Genesis Coupe that don't fit anywhere else.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: Winter tires?

Old 11-23-2009, 10:44 AM
Drives a Hyundai 2.0T Turbo Coupe
View GenesisRZ's Photo Album

GenesisRZ is on a distinguished road
Default Winter tires?

Remove this ad
Has anyone used their coupe with the stock tires in winter conditions? I am not sure weather or not the stock tires are rated for all weather conditions. Does anyone plan on buying winter tires and if so, which ones? Thanks.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Coupe
View anurbas's Photo Album

anurbas is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Winter tires?

I just bought a set of Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D. I wanted the Blizzacks, but not one place had them in the size I wanted.

I mounted them on a set of aftermarket rims.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:05 PM
View MissAdema's Photo Album

MissAdema is on a distinguished road

My GC came with all weather tires. I haven't haven't had to try them out yet since the weather here hasn't changed into winter. I had all weather tires on my Tiburons and I was fine. That's the one thing that turned me off about the track. They came with summer/performance tires and I'd have to spend another $800 at least on winter tires.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:11 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Waki's Photo Album

Waki is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Winter tires?

Yes...winter tires. This vehicle will go nowhere in snow/ice and at times will take your breath away. You can get by with two GOOD quality snow tires on the rear. ( Some dealers won't sell you two )
Don't even think about 'all season' tires if you are in a snow area !
Old 11-23-2009, 03:58 PM
View GenesisRZ's Photo Album

GenesisRZ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waki View Post
Yes...winter tires. This vehicle will go nowhere in snow/ice and at times will take your breath away. You can get by with two GOOD quality snow tires on the rear. ( Some dealers won't sell you two )
Don't even think about 'all season' tires if you are in a snow area !
So are you saying that you don't think the all season tires that the base model comes with will perform well in the snow? Are you basing this on experience?
Old 11-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View dtreter's Photo Album

dtreter is on a distinguished road

I just put on Blizzaks on my coupe. I was lucky and got them (4) for $670 and was one of the last sets sold trough Tirerack.

My Genesis sedan did not perform well last winter with the mud/snow tires that came on it. This year, I bought four tires for it through Costco. I am already for our first snow!

Real wheel drive vehicles need snow tires. On front wheel drive cars, all the weight is on the front tires for traction. With rear wheel drive, the weight is more equally distributed so you need snow tires. I drove in the 60's where most cars were rear wheel drive and needed snow tires (2). For liability problems, dealers will only sell four tires because of the traction control.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:02 PM
View crhbobby's Photo Album

crhbobby is on a distinguished road

I am jealous that you go the Blizzaks at Tirerack.. I tried a month ago but they were sold out of 235/50/18 of the discontinued ones. I should have bought them when I saw them for 122 at tire 3 months ago.

I ordered the Blizzaks LM60s...not here yet. Costing $990 installed with a 4 wheel alignment at a local tire shop. (I always like to align regardless with the purchase of new tires.) The tires are $201 from tire rack, plus shipping.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:46 PM

I went and bought a set of cheap after market rims (17") and bought the below tires. I had them shipped to NTB and it cost me about $80 to have them mounted and balanced.

Tirerack 225/45-17 Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D $147.00 $294.00
Tirerack 245/45-17 Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D $166.00 $332.00

Shipping $46.49
Rebates $50.00
Total $622.49
Old 11-24-2009, 04:44 PM
View Franknspeed's Photo Album

Franknspeed is on a distinguished road
Default Pressure sensors needed?

would i need those sensors if I were to get a set of wheels with winter tires? they are 380.- a set alone...
thanks,
Frank
Old 11-25-2009, 08:26 AM

No, technically you don't need the sensors. Although, you will have the tpms light on constently.

I thought about getting them and figured, for an extra $300, I'll pass on them for this year and think about getting them put in for next year.

I believe that you would need to have a garage reset the computer to recognize the sensors. I'm not sure if there is a tool that can be purchased to do this yourself or not.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:58 AM
View RonP's Photo Album

RonP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesisRZ View Post
Has anyone used their coupe with the stock tires in winter conditions? I am not sure weather or not the stock tires are rated for all weather conditions. Does anyone plan on buying winter tires and if so, which ones? Thanks.
I guess it all depends on what part of the country you live in, city/country, etc. Over the years I owned several rear wheel drive cars,before the days of MS tires, (I live in Milwaukee WI., city) I have never bought snow tires,put weights in the trunk, etc. never felt I needed them. Since I am retired, and don't have to go out untill the plows go through, I am going to try it with out on the Genesis sedan this year.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Drives a Hyundai In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View wild willy's Photo Album

wild willy is on a distinguished road

Drove a GTO in the snow belt for 2 years every day on All-seasons. More power, more torque than the little Genny Cp. If you know how to drive I see no issues. Use your head
Old 11-25-2009, 09:46 AM
View Franknspeed's Photo Album

Franknspeed is on a distinguished road

i drove a 95 Roadmaster Wagon (Lt1, posi rear) for several years in Michigan. The fairly expensive Michelin M+S tires didn't get me up my driveway , which has only a slight grade, nothing steep. No matter how careful, just not enough grip. Thats with 3 bags of salt in the back. stopping on snow was the same, it just slid , very slowly, but just no traction. Maybe those tires weren't the best M+S. But the Coupe's stock R92A's already suck in wet conditions, so I can't imagine them in the snow.
Putting on snowtires made the car absolutely driveable in all conditions, never got stuck , stop and go with plenty of traction. I live in the sticks, hilly gravelroads , not plowed. No problem to get through fresh or compacted snow.
So for me snow's are a must, even though its a lease car. 17's are just so much cheaper than 18's...

Frank
Old 11-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Drives a Hyundai In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View jlevine's Photo Album

jlevine is on a distinguished road

Remove this ad
The new Michelin xice x2 are supposedly the best winter tire on the market right now from what I read. Although it is not a high performing winter tire they pretty much beat every other winter tire without studs or chains. I'm thinking of getting a set.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:57 AM
View Phil_Collins's Photo Album

Phil_Collins is on a distinguished road

Nokian Hakkapelitas are the snow tires to get. Best snows out there hands down.