Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Forums - 3.8 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 R-Spec V8 > General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion Forum for discussions regarding the Hyundai Genesis Sedan that don't fit specifically anywhere else.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: Engine Hesitation

Old 08-22-2009, 12:27 PM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Terry Wells's Photo Album

Terry Wells is on a distinguished road
Default Engine Hesitation

Remove this ad
Has anyone out there had problems with the engine hesitating? My Genesis seems to hesitate between 25-40mph as while I am driving in automatic. The car almost acts as if it wants me to shift gears manually. Also at the same speeds the car does not coast very well, it has a sort of drag feel that slow the car down, is this some type of safety feature?

Old 08-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View ctrcbob's Photo Album

ctrcbob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Engine Hesitation

The "drag feel" is nothing more than the transmission being in, and STAYING in one of the lower gears. I'm sure your Aisin Transmission was designed that way. I know that my ZF Transmission does this.

Most automatic transmissions always want to go to the highest gear it can find, when you are coasting or slowing down. (unlike a manual transmission which is in the gear you want, not the gear the automatic wants - this is why you have better control of a manual car than an automatic car).

Can't answer about your hesitation.

Mount Dora, FL (It Could Be Worse)
Penfield, NY (A Quiet Rochester Suburb)
Roswell, NM (Alien Central)

09 Genesis 4.6 Tech (Sold)
10 SHO Ecoboost Twin Turbo
11 MKZ
Old 08-22-2009, 02:07 PM
View Mark_888's Photo Album

Mark_888 will become famous soon enough

No hesitation whatsoever at that speed with my V6. Slight hesitation when decelerating to a few MPH and then accelerating too rapidly right after that. Most of these problems are the result of lead-foot driving habits. The Genesis (even the V6) accelerates much faster than most people realize, so you need to learn how to work the throttle with a softer touch.

This is by far the best transmission I have ever driven, which is no surprise since Aisin is 52% owned by Toyota and are used in some Lexus and Toyota vehicles (plus used by 35 auto manufacturers around the world with a market share of 16.4% of the global market for automatics).
Old 09-30-2009, 01:35 AM
View zoeldar's Photo Album

zoeldar is on a distinguished road

I've been lurking for awhile, now time to join in...my 3.6 has 37K in 13 months (massive highway commuting). Noticed some hesitation over several days...then I had a surprise while on the highway, stepped on the gas and nothing happened...slowed down and exited, and once on a sidestreet, the car would not exceed 20 mph...pulled over, debated...check engine light was on, nothing else. Decided to reboot - shutoff for 2 min, then restarted...light stayed on, but car ran okay. Dealer studied and concluded that E Traction Control and Throttle had dropped memory for whatever reason, reloaded the program, and all was well. For about two months...then I noticed some hesitation again...and last week the car again lost all throttle response. I stopped, turned it off, and then restarted, and it drove fine...engine even went out later on...brought into the dealer, and now they are replacing the whole throttle module. Beware, this may a more common issue...

Z
Old 09-30-2009, 05:47 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View ilovemygenesis's Photo Album

ilovemygenesis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeldar View Post
I've been lurking for awhile, now time to join in...my 3.6 has 37K in 13 months (massive highway commuting). Noticed some hesitation over several days...then I had a surprise while on the highway, stepped on the gas and nothing happened...slowed down and exited, and once on a sidestreet, the car would not exceed 20 mph...pulled over, debated...check engine light was on, nothing else. Decided to reboot - shutoff for 2 min, then restarted...light stayed on, but car ran okay. Dealer studied and concluded that E Traction Control and Throttle had dropped memory for whatever reason, reloaded the program, and all was well. For about two months...then I noticed some hesitation again...and last week the car again lost all throttle response. I stopped, turned it off, and then restarted, and it drove fine...engine even went out later on...brought into the dealer, and now they are replacing the whole throttle module. Beware, this may a more common issue...

Z

Thanks for the heads up, i put a lot of miles on my car as well and i experience the hesitation after only 8K. I will certainly look out for the warning signs you described.
2002 Acura 3.5RL (My first love)
Old 10-05-2009, 01:30 PM
View TomT's Photo Album

TomT is on a distinguished road

Zoeldar, I've experienced a similar situation. Have 33,000 miles after 11 months. Also long highway commute. Did the last repair fix the problem?
Old 10-12-2009, 01:41 AM
View zoeldar's Photo Album

zoeldar is on a distinguished road

Just got my 3.6 back; they replaced the whole throttle control module. Seems to be running fine now...will see if the problem is totally resolved over time. Part was on backorder (took 4 days)...hmmm, could be either a) this is a more common problem than Hyundai wants to let on...or b) they really stressed to insure it would be fixed. May never know...

Z
Old 10-12-2009, 03:39 AM
View Mark_888's Photo Album

Mark_888 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeldar View Post
Just got my 3.6 back; they replaced the whole throttle control module. Seems to be running fine now...will see if the problem is totally resolved over time. Part was on backorder (took 4 days)...hmmm, could be either a) this is a more common problem than Hyundai wants to let on...or b) they really stressed to insure it would be fixed. May never know...

Z
How about "they needed to import the part from Korea."

I don't think that HMA keeps every single part for the Genesis in stock in the USA.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:32 PM
View Sayantsi's Photo Album

Sayantsi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
How about "they needed to import the part from Korea."

I don't think that HMA keeps every single part for the Genesis in stock in the USA.
This would be my bet - keep us informed about the throttle now so we know if this worked.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Drives a Hyundai In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View thomas.cena09's Photo Album

thomas.cena09 is on a distinguished road

Its an often occurring problem for your car, which will cause problems for you. You get known with the solution of this problem which you can find in several manuals or on websites.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:22 PM
View jwaters943's Photo Album

jwaters943 is on a distinguished road

In 17 months of ownership I haven't noticed any significant hesitation w/ the V6. The only thing negative I can say about the powertrain response/performance is that in certain situations the transmission seems a bit reluctant to downshift. It usually happens at lower speeds if I take off slowly from a stop and then want to accelerate more quickly. Other than that, I love the V6/Aisin combination. They're very well mated.

'09 Hyundai Genesis 3.8
Current Mods:
35% Metallic Tint, KDM Wing Emblems (Front/Rear/Wheel Center Caps/Steering Wheel), Chrome Exterior Door Strips, LED Illuminated Door Sills,
Accessory Cargo Mat, Trunk Speaker Cover, Color-Matched Mud Guards, Spec-1 Design Lip Spoiler
Old 06-18-2010, 04:52 PM
View gerpommy's Photo Album

gerpommy is on a distinguished road

I wanted to pick up on this thread and let all you guys know that I had the same hesitation problem for @ 2 months. I also thought it was the trans not being able to downshift when the engine needed a lower gear.

Finally just diagnosed and repaired today [6-18-10]- as accelerator sensor and now all is again right with the Genesis.

Thanks to those who posted this problems as my copies of the forums postings on this issue probably was a great assist with diagnosing this problem- a problem that did not cause “check engine” lite on or deliver a malfunction code.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:31 PM
View Winelover6's Photo Album

Winelover6 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Engine Hesitation

I've just bought my new 2012 Genesis sedan two months ago and have a very annoying hesitation problem when I'm going a under 5 miles/hour then try to accelerate. Nothing happens when I step on the gas for 1-2 seconds. Almost got me into an accident last week trying to pull into traffic. Took it to the dealer and they claim they could not duplicate the problem. That night, leaving the dealer it happened twice!
Any one have an idea what the problem might be? I think it has something to do with the timing or computer controls used in acceleration. I'm not that car savvy but I know when something's wrong. Every other car I've driven never had this issue, including rentals.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:37 PM
Supporting Member
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View scottdk's Photo Album

scottdk is on a distinguished road

Remove this ad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winelover6 View Post
I've just bought my new 2012 Genesis sedan two months ago and have a very annoying hesitation problem when I'm going a under 5 miles/hour then try to accelerate. Nothing happens when I step on the gas for 1-2 seconds. Almost got me into an accident last week trying to pull into traffic. Took it to the dealer and they claim they could not duplicate the problem. That night, leaving the dealer it happened twice!
Any one have an idea what the problem might be? I think it has something to do with the timing or computer controls used in acceleration. I'm not that car savvy but I know when something's wrong. Every other car I've driven never had this issue, including rentals.
Nothings wrong, just different from what you're used to. drive-by-wire system which the Genesis and many other cars have act the way you are discribing. There is an old thread you can dig up (other than this one) by using the search function.

http://www.genesisowners.com/hyundai...leration+issue

The thread indicates for the V8, but it is worth the read for learning purposes.

MN Window Tinter

2009 4.6 with Tech package Black on Black
2012 Kia Optima SX 2.0 GDI-t
2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean H6
2006 Sonata LX 3.3L - Sold July 1, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/user/Scott1tothe7

2012 R Spec suspension conversion - Lip spoiler - R Spec wheels with wing emblems - KDM wing airbag - MagnaFlow setup - drilled/slotted rotors - painted grill - 245 45 19 Conti DW tires
Old 02-27-2012, 07:51 PM
View PMCErnie's Photo Album

PMCErnie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winelover6 View Post
Something is wrong unless you are totally flooring the pedal. No need to do that.

Mods/Accessories: Trunk wings, wheel cap wings, chrome side trim, illuminated door sills, mud guards, all-weather winter floor mats and trunk cargo mat. Llumar Air Blue 80 ceramic tint. Custom-made left foot rest/dead pedal.

- 2014 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T AWD (wife)