Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Forums - 3.8 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 R-Spec V8 > Wheels, Tires, Detailing and Appearance Modifications
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

Wheels, Tires, Detailing and Appearance Modifications Discussions regarding wheels, tires, detailing and interior/exterior modifications.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: Genesis Wing Emblem Installation Process

Old 07-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View jwaters943's Photo Album

jwaters943 is on a distinguished road
Default Genesis Wing Emblem Installation Process

Remove this ad
I've had quite a few people ask me how hard it was to install the KDM Genesis Wing Emblems so I thought I would do a writeup on the process for those who plan on installing these emblems.

Let me preface this by saying that I wish I would have taken more pics detailing the entire process, but since I did not, I will do my best to thoroughly describe how I went about removing the "H" emblem on the rear and installing the Wing emblems on my Genesis (front and rear).

Step 1 (Removal of the "H" emblem):

You will need a blow dryer and some dental floss or fishing wire. Make sure area around the emblem is clean and free of debris/dust so as to avoid any minor scratching of the paint.

Begin by using the blow dryer to heat up the "H" emblem up. You could also sit the car in the sun on a hot day for a few hours. This will make the adhesive backing on the emblem more pliable. Work the dental floss under one edge of the badge with an up and down motion. The floss with effectively, if slowly, "cut" through the adhesive on the underside of the emblem. Once you get near the middle of the emblem, do the same thing on the other side. Please note: You will not be able to work the floss all the way to the center of the "H" emblem as there are 2 small plastic tabs that are inserted into holes in the trunk lid. Once you have effectively separated most of the adhesive from the paint using the dental floss, you can use a plastic card (e.g. something similar to a credit card that you aren't afraid to ruin) to pry the badge off the hood. It may take a bit of force, but be patient and it should come off without much trouble. If needed, use some polish/wax to remove any remaining residue.

Holes left on trunk lid after removal of "H" emblem:

Step 2 (Preparing your Wing Emblems for Installation):

The KDM Wing Emblems come with large circular posts/tabs on the underside. In Korea the hood and trunk lid must have large holes that these can be inserted into. Since drilling on my new car isn't an option for me (or anyone I know for that matter), you will need to remove these tabs prior to installation. Short of a Dremmel Tool, I can't think of any way to safely and thoroughly remove these tabs without damaging the rest of the emblem. Luckily I was able to borrow my uncle's Dremmel Tool and it took about 5-10 minutes to remove the plastic tabs on both emblems. Once you have the removed the emblems I recommend you fill in the inner portion of of the back of the emblem with heavy duty stick tape. The sticky tape is more than enough to hold the badge securely in place, but still allows removal at a later date, if needed. This may be of importance to those of you who are leasing. Be advised: The holes in the trunk lid are not the same size/shape as the tabs on the underside of the Wing emblem. I just added more sticky tape over the holes in the trunk so that water wouldn't get in.

Step 3 (Installing the Wing Emblems):

Clean both the hood and the trunk lid installation area with rubbing alcohol to remove any remaining oils and ensure a proper bond. The front emblem is easiest to install. Simply line up the middle pointy edge of the Wing emblem with the center bar of the grill. Be sure to take your time to ensure the wings are evenly aligned (you may want to use a tape measure). On the rear emblem I simply measured from each end of the tunk lid and found the middle. Once you are certain you have the emblem in the spot you want it you can outline the emblem with a washable marker (it won't work that well on the paint, but it should be just enough to give a faint outline of where the emblem should be placed). Simply remove the sticky tape backing and place emblem on the hood/trunk. Be sure to press firmly on the emblem and hold it in place for at least a few seconds before releasing. You want to make sure the sticky tape is really stuck to the paint.

Before:

After:

Honestly, it's a LOT simpler than it sounds. It just takes a bit of time and patience. The hardest part of the entire process is removing the plastic tabs, but as long as you have to right tools, it's still pretty easy. I'm really happy with how they look....they "complete" the look of the exterior. The front especially looks a bit too bare with no emblem IMO.

'09 Hyundai Genesis 3.8
Current Mods:
35% Metallic Tint, KDM Wing Emblems (Front/Rear/Wheel Center Caps/Steering Wheel), Chrome Exterior Door Strips, LED Illuminated Door Sills,
Accessory Cargo Mat, Trunk Speaker Cover, Color-Matched Mud Guards, Spec-1 Design Lip Spoiler

Last edited by jwaters943; 07-23-2008 at 12:44 PM.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Hyundai Genesis Forum
Drives a Hyundai Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View Hyundai Genesis's Photo Album

Hyundai Genesis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to Hyundai Genesis Send a message via AIM to Hyundai Genesis Send a message via MSN to Hyundai Genesis Send a message via Yahoo to Hyundai Genesis Send a message via Skype™ to Hyundai Genesis
Default Re: Genesis Wing Emblem Installation Process

I moved this post into the Appearance Modifications section.

This is Awesome! Thank you for posting this, jwaters943!

Help support our community. For as little as $2.00 per month, you can help us pay our server bills,
software bills, licensing, renewal & upgrade fees and more... Click here for more information.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:23 PM

I just found this rotary tool at Target today for $30. It's just like a Dremmel, but with a cheaper pricetag. You will need this in order to remove the plastic tabs/posts on the underside of the emblems prior to installation. If you aren't lucky enough to have a friend/family member who will let you borrow theirs, it's well worth the $30 IMO.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...t_adv_XSG10001

'09 Hyundai Genesis 3.8
Current Mods:
35% Metallic Tint, KDM Wing Emblems (Front/Rear/Wheel Center Caps/Steering Wheel), Chrome Exterior Door Strips, LED Illuminated Door Sills,
Accessory Cargo Mat, Trunk Speaker Cover, Color-Matched Mud Guards, Spec-1 Design Lip Spoiler
Old 07-25-2008, 12:18 AM
View BaywayRic's Photo Album

BaywayRic is on a distinguished road

JW:

Regarding the pins/holes mismatch, are the wings pins larger in diameter than the holes left in the trunk after the flying H removal, or is it the pins don't line up with the existing holes? In other words, if you had to drill, is it make the existing holes a little bigger or drill two new holes.

Before you undertook this, did you inquire what the dealer's body shop guys would charge for the job?

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2008, 07:35 AM

I don't recall if the holes on the trunk lid match up with the posts/tabs on the Wing Emblem, but I do know the posts/tabs on the Wing Emblem are about 2x the size of the existing holes.

'09 Hyundai Genesis 3.8
Current Mods:
Old 07-26-2008, 04:05 PM
View Simonwpb's Photo Album

Simonwpb is on a distinguished road

JW, you have inspired me to follow through with this mod when I have the car and an emblem in had of course... although I am a bit chicken for fear of messing up a new car!

I wonder if an autoparts store has emblem glue?
Old 07-27-2008, 02:33 AM
Drives a Hyundai In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View GenFan's Photo Album

GenFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonwpb View Post
JW, you have inspired me to follow through with this mod when I have the car and an emblem in had of course... although I am a bit chicken for fear of messing up a new car!

I wonder if an autoparts store has emblem glue?
Simonwpb,

Don't use emblem adhesive! I was an automotive refinish technician for years and worked for PPG, DuPont, and Sikkens automotive paints.

Emblem glue will mess up the finish on the car. Use the double sided tape that is designed for emblems and moldings. You can't mess up the factory finish with tape. The emblem adhesive will really cause you problems if you decide to take the emblems off one day.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:04 AM
Hyundai Genesis Forum

Send a message via ICQ to Hyundai Genesis Send a message via AIM to Hyundai Genesis Send a message via MSN to Hyundai Genesis Send a message via Yahoo to Hyundai Genesis Send a message via Skype™ to Hyundai Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenFan View Post
Simonwpb,

Don't use emblem adhesive! I was an automotive refinish technician for years and worked for PPG, DuPont, and Sikkens automotive paints.

Emblem glue will mess up the finish on the car. Use the double sided tape that is designed for emblems and moldings. You can't mess up the factory finish with tape. The emblem adhesive will really cause you problems if you decide to take the emblems off one day.
Sounds like great advice.. That double sided tape must be VERY strong, huh?

Help support our community. For as little as $2.00 per month, you can help us pay our server bills,
software bills, licensing, renewal & upgrade fees and more... Click here for more information.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:57 AM

Yes, it works very well. There are several aero, lip spoilers on the market that attach w/ nothing more than double stick tape.

'09 Hyundai Genesis 3.8
Current Mods:
Old 07-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Hyundai Genesis Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaters943 View Post
Yes, it works very well. There are several aero, lip spoilers on the market that attach w/ nothing more than double stick tape.
Really? That's impressive.. I always figured that eventually, with enough rain, the tape would waste away..

Old 08-04-2008, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenFan View Post
Use the double sided tape that is designed for emblems and moldings.
JW:

Can you expound a bit more on the tape. Is this an auto parts store item? Is there a prefered type/brand that works best?

Both Simon's and my wings are "in the mail."

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2008, 02:08 AM

I know you asked JW but I will go ahead and offer some info. I was an automotive painter for many years.

You can pick up the double-sided tape at just about any auto parts store. I'm sure all are good enough for emblems but I would try to stick with a name like 3M. It is likely to be found in a roll, usually designed for body side moldings.

You can find a local jobber that sells automotive paint to body shops. They will have the tape in various widths. In a situation where we removed the emblems to paint the car, we would follow this procedure if we were going to reuse the original emblems:
  1. Remove all adhesive or tape from the emblem
  2. Adhere emblem to one side of the tape.
  3. Use a razor blade to trim the excess tape from around the emblem
  4. Make certain all surfaces are clean and free from oils or grease
  5. Attach the emblem to the vehicle. Press hard and try to do it on a warm surface.

Avoid the emblem glue if at all possible. It is very potent and will damage the paint surface of your car to the extent that it will need to be repainted!
Old 08-04-2008, 02:39 AM

Thanks GenFan, just what I needed. Just as I hit send I realized the 'quote' was from you, but while I was typing I was looking at JW's previous post.

I'm assuming this process is somewhat like putting laminate on plywood, with contact cement. Once it sticks, it's stuck! Lineup will be critical.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:40 PM

Remove this ad
If you use the double sided tape you can pull the emblem off and redo it. If you use emblem adhesive and screw up, you'll have a mess on your hands.

This is a really simple thing to do. A little trick to make certain you put it on straight is to place a piece of masking tape on the car as a guide. For example, you can hold the winded emblem where you want it (without sticking it to the car), and then place a 12" piece of masking tap along the top of the wings. Now, you can simply remove backing from the double sided tape and place the tip of the wings at the edge of the masking tape. Remove the masking tape and you're done!

This way you know that the emblem will be perfectly level. You can even use a pen on the masking tape to mark the center of the trunk.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:27 PM

JW:

In your description below you refer to "adding more sticky tape" after the tabs are cut off with the Dremmel. Got my "Wings" today and am ready to do the job tomorrow, but mine came with the 3M tape all in place, with a little tab sticking out to pull it off. Is this exactly what you got? I'm not sure where I see a place to add any additional tape. [other than two small pieces to cover the holes in the trunk]

Thanks.