Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis News and more... > Hyundai Genesis vs. The Competition
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

Hyundai Genesis vs. The Competition Forum for discussions comparing the Hyundai Genesis to various competitors.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: Why not the Lexus ES350?

Old 05-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Drives a Hyundai In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View JPW's Photo Album

JPW is on a distinguished road
Default Why not the Lexus ES350?

Remove this ad
I'm not trying to cause a problem by asking a question like this. I'm only curious because I'm asking myself the same thing.

I just test drove a Lexus ES350 and a Genesis V8 back to back. They are very different cars in some ways but very similar in others. The price between the two cars seems pretty close. In my case I simply don't fit well in the ES350 at 6'4" tall. I do fit in the Genesis but I wonder if I were 3 or 4 inches shorter how would that effect my decision.

I suspect many other Genesis owners compared the Lexus ES350 before buying the Genesis. Would you mind sharing why? Was it a number of things or maybe one specific item?

Old 05-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View jwaters943's Photo Album

jwaters943 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why not the Lexus ES350?

The ES is simply less car for the money.

Well-equipped you're looking at loaded Genesis V8 money for a FWD V6 Camry-based midsize sedan. With the Genesis you get RWD, bigger back seat, more horsepower/torque, better looks (subjective), and a slightly quieter vehicle. The ES gives you better dealership treatment, resale and a somewhat smoother ride. Overall the Genesis is simply a better car. The upcoming Kia VZ & next-generation Azera should be much more comparable to the ES than the Genesis.

'09 Hyundai Genesis 3.8
Current Mods:
35% Metallic Tint, KDM Wing Emblems (Front/Rear/Wheel Center Caps/Steering Wheel), Chrome Exterior Door Strips, LED Illuminated Door Sills,
Accessory Cargo Mat, Trunk Speaker Cover, Color-Matched Mud Guards, Spec-1 Design Lip Spoiler
Old 05-15-2009, 12:44 PM
View JPW's Photo Album

All really good points. I had the exact same thoughts but I can't believe I didn't think of the V6 Lexus vs. the V8 Genesis. I'm not someone who drives very fast so I guess that is why it didn't really fall in my own radar.

You did mention one thing that I'm still in disbelief about after driving both cars. I almost feel like there was something wrong with the ES350 I drove because the Genesis was much quiter. My Honda Accord was even quieter than the ES350 which I don't understand. I did check the sunroof and all the windows and the doors. Oh well, another vote for the Genesis in this category!
Old 05-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Drives a Hyundai
View PINGGOLF's Photo Album

PINGGOLF is on a distinguished road

Well...here is my 2 cents.

Final price for my MAXED out ES350: 49,399

Final price for my MAXED out Genesis V8: around $40k

The reason, besides the $9k, were:

375 PONIES
26 MPG
The "COOL" factor...especially with the winged badge
The warranty
SAFETY
Did I mention the "COOL" factor...
REAR WHEEL DRIVE!!!
MORE overall interior room than the LS

I could go on and on.

I am a DIE HARD Toyota guy...so you can only imagine how hard it was for me to NOT purchase the Lexus.

Think long and hard and enjoy either one!
Old 05-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Drives a Hyundai 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View Turanacus's Photo Album

Turanacus is on a distinguished road

Why not the Toyota Camry Limited?
Old 05-15-2009, 02:21 PM
View wallymn's Photo Album

wallymn is on a distinguished road

From Lexus I tested the GS not ES. As others have said the ES is a rebadged Camry. The GS is a rwd sedan.

My problem was the GS460 was just too much money for not a lot more car.

Best price in my area was 52k. Which is 12.5 k more than the best price on the Genesis.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:46 PM
View Soldier76's Photo Album

Soldier76 is on a distinguished road

Shame on lexus for making this rebadged Camry. I had a 2008 Toyota Camry Ltd V6 with everything but Nav and heated seats for a year and a couple months. I was going to trade my Camry (Transmission issues) for a Lexus ES 350. The dealership let me keep the car for a couple of days to test drive it. All I can say is "WOW" it was like I never left the Camry. The transmission had the same issues even though the Camry was front wheel drive and the Lexus was rear wheel.

The wind noise in both cabins was still intrusive like nothing I ever heard in a Lexus vehicle before. The transmission shifting was indecisive as if it was trying to find the right gear. The ride wasn't as refined as the GS 350 (you can feel the road and bumps a whole lot more). As for gizmos and gadgets hands down the lexus destroys the camry. IMO I really don't think the ES 350 is in the same league as the Genesis V6 or V8. Try bumpin up to the GS 350 or GS 460 then we can compare.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:29 PM

Soldier76:

The Lexus ES350 is not RWD. It's FWD just like the Camry.

'09 Hyundai Genesis 3.8
Current Mods:
35% Metallic Tint, KDM Wing Emblems (Front/Rear/Wheel Center Caps/Steering Wheel), Chrome Exterior Door Strips, LED Illuminated Door Sills,
Accessory Cargo Mat, Trunk Speaker Cover, Color-Matched Mud Guards, Spec-1 Design Lip Spoiler
Old 05-15-2009, 04:21 PM
View ImInPA's Photo Album

ImInPA is on a distinguished road

I looked at the ES 350. I think the interior is far nicer (my opinion) than the Genesis, BMW 3, Mercedes C, Volvo S80, etc. That said, I test drove an ES on three separate occasions and every one of them had a rattle in the dash. The ES like the Camry it is based on are EPA classified as large cars. I just didn't get the price for a "tarted-up camry." With the Genesis, you are getting a purpose-built original of extremely high quality. With the ES350, you are getting a re-badged common family sedan.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:53 PM

Actually, no it's not rated as a large sedan by the EPA. It's barely a midsize sedan at 110.1 cu ft of interior space (trunk = 14.7 and passenger compartment = 95.4). EPA Size Classification Info.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_size_class

As far as the interior goes, this is so subjective. I'm intimately familiar w/ the ES and most Lexus products. Aside from the wood trim which is real and far richer looking than the plood in the Genesis, I cannot think of one thing about the interior that looks/feels noticeably better. Not the dash plastics, not the carpeting, not the leather, and definitely not the mismatched pale green center stack lighting.

'09 Hyundai Genesis 3.8
Current Mods:
Old 05-15-2009, 07:37 PM
View Soldier76's Photo Album

Soldier76 is on a distinguished road

Sorry, bout that I knew those TRANSMISSIONS were the same crazy saleman got me. I told him I was having problems with the camry transmission so he gave me the spiel on how the vehicles were completely different and made in different assembly plants Blah, blah, blah, rear wheel drive. Good thing I test drove it though. Thanks for the correction.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:29 PM
View BigElm's Photo Album

BigElm is on a distinguished road

Moving this to Competition forum....
Old 05-16-2009, 12:14 AM
View Mark_888's Photo Album

Mark_888 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPW View Post
I'm not trying to cause a problem by asking a question like this. I'm only curious because I'm asking myself the same thing.

I just test drove a Lexus ES350 and a Genesis V8 back to back. They are very different cars in some ways but very similar in others. The price between the two cars seems pretty close. In my case I simply don't fit well in the ES350 at 6'4" tall. I do fit in the Genesis but I wonder if I were 3 or 4 inches shorter how would that effect my decision.

I suspect many other Genesis owners compared the Lexus ES350 before buying the Genesis. Would you mind sharing why? Was it a number of things or maybe one specific item?
I agree with your assessment. I probably would have bought a ES instead of the Genesis (partly because reliability is very important to me), except that when I went to the Lexus dealer, I realized it was designed for midgets.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:23 AM
View Mark_888's Photo Album

Mark_888 will become famous soon enough

Remove this ad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImInPA View Post
I looked at the ES 350. I think the interior is far nicer (my opinion) than the Genesis, BMW 3, Mercedes C, Volvo S80, etc. That said, I test drove an ES on three separate occasions and every one of them had a rattle in the dash. The ES like the Camry it is based on are EPA classified as large cars. I just didn't get the price for a "tarted-up camry." With the Genesis, you are getting a purpose-built original of extremely high quality. With the ES350, you are getting a re-badged common family sedan.
There was a time when it was simply a rebadged Camry with very minor differences, but that is not really true any more. Yes, it is built on the same frame, and has a similar engine as the Camry V6 (although tweaked a bit), but since the Toyota V6 used in the Camry is one of the most reliable engines in the world, what's wrong with that? The Genesis 3.8 V6 has basically the same engine as several other Hyundai and Kia (yes Kia) vehicles. So what?

In addition to a nicer interior, the ES350 has more soundproofing, and a better suspension than the Camry V6 (which is no slouch of a car).

Being a person very concerned about reliability (time is money even if there is a warranty), I am not interested in exclusivity, I am more interested in quality. In some ways, the two are mutually exclusive, because widely used components usually have design flaws worked out, and they wouldn't widely used if they were functioned poorly.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:25 AM
View JPW's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
I agree with your assessment. I probably would have bought a ES instead of the Genesis (partly because reliability is very important to me), except that when I went to the Lexus dealer, I realized it was designed for midgets.
I mentioned this to my Hyundai dealer and he told me the Lexus ES350 was only designed by Lexus for women. He said that is why the interior is so small and then he went on to discuss why the Genesis is so much better. Its hard for me to tell whether salesman are actually telling me the truth or not but I have a hard time seeing that Lexus would only design the ES350 with women in mind. Of course for me it isn't a big deal either way. If it was designed for women and I loved it chances are I would still buy it.