Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Forums - 3.8 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 R-Spec V8 > General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion Forum for discussions regarding the Hyundai Genesis Sedan that don't fit specifically anywhere else.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: 30,000 mile Service

Old 08-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
View SNSN's Photo Album

SNSN is on a distinguished road
Default 30,000 mile Service

Remove this ad
In my area NY/NJ, dealers want $499 for this service.
Not much is actually changed/replaced aside from oil/filter.
Everything is a "check/inspect", like battery terminals, brakes, fluids, air pressures, which we all know is crazy...
In order to keep all warranty's from Hyundai valid, so they can't say you didn't service the car according to the manual, what do people do?
This cost is insane for this service....
They want to charge $90 to replace the cabin air filter, which I did myself for $15, in 5 min.
Or charge $80 to replace a DRL on the headlight, which my gas station did for $20.
I hate getting ripped off by these dealers...

Old 08-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Mark_888's Photo Album

Mark_888 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 30,000 mile Service

As has been discussed in other threads, most knowledgeable owners don't ever have dealer's perform xx,xxx mile service rip-off packages. Just do those things listed in the owner's manual, either yourself, or have dealer do it a la carte. The dealer will check most items for free, any time you bring it in for service, since they are always looking for ways to increase their service business.

You shouldn't be surprised that those things are rip-offs. After all, we are talking about car dealerships and salespersons (cars or service).

When I had a TSB done recently, the service "advisor" tried to sell me a fuel injection cleaning. I forgot the price, but something like $49.95. All they do in pour in a bottle of Chevron Fuel Injector Cleaner with Techron into the gas tank, which costs about $3.00 wholesale.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:24 AM
View SNSN's Photo Album

SNSN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
As has been discussed in other threads, most knowledgeable owners don't ever have dealer's perform xx,xxx mile service rip-off packages. Just do those things listed in the owner's manual, either yourself, or have dealer do it a la carte. The dealer will check most items for free, any time you bring it in for service, since they are always looking for ways to increase their service business.

You shouldn't be surprised that those things are rip-offs. After all, we are talking about car dealerships and salespersons (cars or service).

When I had a TSB done recently, the service "advisor" tried to sell me a fuel injection cleaning. I forgot the price, but something like $49.95. All they do in pour in a bottle of Chevron Fuel Injector Cleaner with Techron into the gas tank, which costs about $3.00 wholesale.
Yes, thanks I understand, they tried to sell me that as well...

How about brakes?
What should this service cost...
Old 08-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Supporting Member
View EXBMWGUY's Photo Album

EXBMWGUY is on a distinguished road

I had a brake service done (cleaning, inspection) when the brake fluid replacement was done. It was quite inexpensive (don't recall exactly how much), and I want anything to do with brakes or other major safety components done by the dealer.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Art Vandalay's Photo Album

Art Vandalay is on a distinguished road

For those who have had the 30,000 mile service, did the dealer change out the fuel tank air filter (maintenance manual says to replace every 30K)? My independent mechanic wants $150 to do this, but says it's not needed and further, dealers don't change it out either. Is this a line of BS?
Old 08-09-2013, 04:08 PM
View Jbo's Photo Album

Jbo is on a distinguished road

You owners manual tells you EXACTLY what to have done. Tell the dealers' ASM you want the factory 30,000 service...NOT his version of it.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Mark_888's Photo Album

Mark_888 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandalay View Post
For those who have had the 30,000 mile service, did the dealer change out the fuel tank air filter (maintenance manual says to replace every 30K)? My independent mechanic wants $150 to do this, but says it's not needed and further, dealers don't change it out either. Is this a line of BS?
George, I think your mechanic is probably right. A couple of people have reported on this forum that their dealer refused to do it when asked to perform that service, saying it is not necessary.

xx,xxxx mile service specials are made up by dealers, not the manufacturer, and they can do whatever they want in those packages. The manufacturer only publishes a maintenance schedule. Usually dealers try and include things not necessary so they can charge more, but in the case of the fuel filter it is not an easy replacement, and if they really mess it up, then the results could be catastrophic. My suspicion is that some Hyundai dealership mechanics are that not great.

I have never replaced a fuel filter on any car I have owned, and I had some for 80,000 miles.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Supporting Member
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View tompass's Photo Album

tompass is on a distinguished road

Less than half that in central NJ.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:28 PM
View JasTheAce's Photo Album

JasTheAce is on a distinguished road

I have only had one replaced, and it was a 1986 ford ranger that was 15 years old at the time with 160k mikes, and fed questionable gas the whole time.
Previous:
2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT
2003 IS300
2003 F-150

Fuelly Stats
Old 08-09-2013, 11:27 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Art Vandalay's Photo Album

Art Vandalay is on a distinguished road

This is an air filter for the fuel tank, not the fuel filter, that my question is about. The owners manual says replace every 30K
Old 08-10-2013, 12:12 AM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View Philth's Photo Album

Philth is on a distinguished road

From what I've read about the fuel tank air filter, people have changed it at 30k and it still looked brand new.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:41 PM
View 4-VT-Hokies's Photo Album

4-VT-Hokies is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: 30,000 mile Service

My 2012 Rspec now has 31,000 on her. Went to the local dealer today for 30,000 service and got oil & filter changed, multipoint inspection, tires rotated, and air filter replaced for $60.80. They also did the brake fluid recall work and ordered me a new nav / radio display screen as it has flickered / went blank a couple of times. I'm fortunate to have a dealer that is there for me and not one that is out to get me.