Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Forums - 3.8 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 R-Spec V8 > General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion Forum for discussions regarding the Hyundai Genesis Sedan that don't fit specifically anywhere else.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: Genesis R Spec or 300 SRT 8

Old 07-27-2013, 02:54 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View Museman's Photo Album

Museman is on a distinguished road
Default Genesis R Spec or 300 SRT 8

Remove this ad
I will need to get a new car in the next couple of (6-12) months. I have had a 2005 Chrysler 300 C 5.7 and now a Genesis 4.6 2009.

I always buy a newer used car 1-2 years old with 15K miles or less and my two choices are a used 2012 Chrysler 300 SRT 8 fully loaded for around $40K or used 2012 R spec for $36K.

I may wait for the 2014/15 new Genesis, as my biggest compliant is you can get more options on an Azera currently (pano sunroof, BSM, Cooled passenger seat).

My downside for SRT 8 is gas mileage and the 5 speed trans which may be update to 8 in 2014.

The 300 SRT seems to be a pure muscle car sports sedan where as the R spec is a quick sleeper luxury car.

Even though I really like my 2009 Genesis I am leaning towards the SRT 8. I have had good luck with both my Chrysler 300 C and Hyundai 4.6 when I have owned them.

Anyone cross shop and test drive both these cars or run up against one (2nd generation SRT8) on the street, if so share your thoughts.

Thanks
Museman
Old 07-27-2013, 03:51 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
View JasTheAce's Photo Album

JasTheAce is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Genesis R Spec or 300 SRT 8

based on those two options I would say the 300 might be better. In 12 months, the redesigned genesis will be revealed, for better or worse. It might even be on sale. I wouldn't expect any significant visual differences between the '12 300 and the '14 or even '15, so the car will be the current gen instead of the previous gen.

That said, at least right now, you can get a BRAND NEW R spec for only a little more (39-39.5k).

I would also recommend using caution when getting a used SRT8. Those are not cars that are bought to just run around town. Most people wanting the extra grunt will pick up the 5.7. I would suspect there are a lot less R spec sedans proportionally that are being run as close to the limit as SRT8s.
Previous:
2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT
2003 IS300
2003 F-150

Fuelly Stats
Old 07-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8
View DRS's Photo Album

DRS is on a distinguished road

I think you made your own case.. Based on what you said, the Tau 5.0 is what you are leaning towards. And IMO, I agree.

And you already have experience owning both (with less powerful engines). Which one still seems fresh when you get in it? Newer versions both have slight refresh inside/out and drivetrain.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:13 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View Philth's Photo Album

Philth is on a distinguished road

Putting an 8-speed trans in a car like the SRT will not make it SRT worthy anymore. More gears = slower acceleration.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:27 PM
View Crusty Old Shellback's Photo Album

Crusty Old Shellback is on a distinguished road

300's are a dime a dozen. Too many of them around. Go with a Genney.

'13 H-D Road Glide Ultra in Midnight Pearl.

Sold '06 Harley Road Glide
Full custom body work and paint.
HoK Kopper Penney Pearl faded into black
95" motor 103 HP/104 TQ
Built by me.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:01 AM
View homeofstone's Photo Album

homeofstone is on a distinguished road

The 300 is a very tired design and needs updating.
2005 Mercedes E500 w/sport pkg.
2013 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD
1965 Ford Mustang 289cid V8 restored
Old 07-29-2013, 01:03 AM
View 427435's Photo Album

427435 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeofstone View Post

X2

2013 Genesis R-Spec, 429 hp, Cabernet Red, 7,700 miles

2003 Eddie Bauer Explorer, 239 hp, 108,000 miles
2003 Anniversary Special, 375 hp, 23,000 miles
1967 Corvette, 435 hp, 100,000+ miles (my 1st new
car)
1977 IH Scout, lots of torque, lots of miles
1994 Topaz, who cares, 234,000 miles
Old 07-29-2013, 09:43 AM
View Ruissimo's Photo Album

Ruissimo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeofstone View Post
I agree with most of this statement. The original 300 was a better-looking car than the current one that's been tweaked. To me, anyway.

There was just something simple yet classy about that design. The new one's been Audified (especially in the headlights), and Lord KNOWS what's been done to that rear. I don't care for it at all.

HOWEVER, if you're gonna spend most of your time inside your car, rather than appreciating the exterior... or want crazy power, go with the 300. If you want to admire your car every day, and have others do it also, go with the Genny.

2012 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R Spec Black / Black Click here for album
(KDM Badges front/rear/wheels/steering wheel, sticker for now 35% Tint)
Old 07-29-2013, 05:31 PM

What really irks me about the entire SRT line-up, is no more Mercedes design and/or parts. Those E55 rear ends were damn near bullet proof.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:37 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View 037's Photo Album

037 is on a distinguished road

a used 2012 R spec will be closer to 30k in 6-12 months, and if the new Genny is any good, it will drop even further.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruissimo View Post
I agree with most of this statement. The original 300 was a better-looking car than the current one that's been tweaked. To me, anyway.

There was just something simple yet classy about that design. The new one's been Audified (especially in the headlights), and Lord KNOWS what's been done to that rear. I don't care for it at all.

HOWEVER, if you're gonna spend most of your time inside your car, rather than appreciating the exterior... or want crazy power, go with the 300. If you want to admire your car every day, and have others do it also, go with the Genny.
Well I have know driven both 2013 R spec and 2013 SRT 8. Hear are my thoughts:

Both cars are very nice: this is a matter of opinion, Genesis is more sleek while the 300 SRT 8 has a Muscle Car look in a good way.

The interior: The SRT had the leather upgrade package and was far superior to the Rspec the only negative for SRT8 was the back seat had less leg room. I got back in my genesis and it felt kind of cheap by comparison.

The driver experience: The R spec felt very quick in a subtle way whereas the SRT felt very fast had had a more deeper audible sound.

I will wait for the 2014 Genesis but if I had to buy right now I would go with the SRT 8

Last edited by Museman; 08-06-2013 at 06:18 PM. Reason: edit
Old 08-06-2013, 08:48 PM
View Billfz1's Photo Album

Billfz1 is on a distinguished road

Well, let me chime in on this.
I find the Chrysler 300 one of the ugliest cars ever. I have my beliefs about why Daimler bought them, (Chrysler), and producing great cars isn't one of them. Styling is SUBJECTIVE, and you might not agree with my tastes, but after looking at the outside I have trouble even getting in a 300. The more hopped up the uglier. The SRT 8 is the worst. On the other hand I think the retro-challenger is the best looking of the current crop of pony cars. So I do not "have it in" for domestic makes.
I want a car that is fast and comfortable and I am not embarrased to be seen in. I have a rocket fast motorcycle for when the performance bug bites, and the Genny is perfect for my 4 wheel needs. My only likely change is to go to an R spec when the new wears off.
Bill
Old 08-06-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfz1 View Post
Well, let me chime in on this.
I find the Chrysler 300 one of the ugliest cars ever. I have my beliefs about why Daimler bought them, (Chrysler), and producing great cars isn't one of them. Styling is SUBJECTIVE, and you might not agree with my tastes, but after looking at the outside I have trouble even getting in a 300. The more hopped up the uglier. The SRT 8 is the worst. On the other hand I think the retro-challenger is the best looking of the current crop of pony cars. So I do not "have it in" for domestic makes.
I want a car that is fast and comfortable and I am not embarrased to be seen in. I have a rocket fast motorcycle for when the performance bug bites, and the Genny is perfect for my 4 wheel needs. My only likely change is to go to an R spec when the new wears off.
Bill
Obviously you like the Genesis and so do I (I own a 2009 4.6) I want to see what the 2014/2015 redesign has in store. It is a shame that Hyundai Genesis does not come with Blind Spot monitoring, cooled passenger seat a Pano roof, paddle shifters and the seat are the same as the 3.8. You can get these options on a Azera.

The Genesis was a step up from the 1st generation 300 however (that's why I bought the Genny) the 2nd 300 SRT 8 generation leapfrogged the genesis especially the SRT8 vs R spec. The R spec stearing wheel fells cheaper than mine in the 4.6. Hyundai is real close to making a great car and hopefully the next generation R spec will leapfrog the SRT and once again raise the bar.

Maybe you should stop drinking your own Genny Kool-Aid

Automobile Magazine reviews of both:

Hyundai Genesis

The Genesis R-spec is a disappointing effort from Hyundai. The powertrain is quite nice, with lots of power on tap, and there's a serious set of wheels and tires: nineteen-inch wheels and available Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position tires. You can power oversteer and have a little fun, but the steering is awful. It's completely wooden and totally lacking in linearity and precision. It's heavy without being accurate and it ruins the driving experience for me. It just demonstrates that Hyundai has come a long way but they are not quite to the point where they can build a serious sport sedan. They need to spend a lot more time driving and tearing apart BMW M cars, Mercedes-Benz AMG cars, Jaguar R-type cars, and the Cadillac CTS-V. They don't know how to do a car like this and have taken themselves too far, too soon. When I was driving the R-spec, the analogy that came to my mind is that you can take someone with average cooking ability, send them to the fanciest grocery store in town with lots of cash, and have them buy the highest-quality ingredients, but it doesn't mean they will be able to create a great meal. With this V-8 engine and these tires and other components, Hyundai also has a stellar list of ingredients, but it hasn't combined them into a five-star meal. It all still comes down to the execution, whether it's in a kitchen or an auto-development center, and Hyundai has not yet earned its master chef certificate when it comes to high-performance luxury.

Joe DeMatio, Deputy Editor

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...#ixzz2bF5Uy4sW

Chrysler 300 SRT 8

Usually, how a car drives, not how it looks, is what wins me over. Completely scratch that with the new Chrysler 300 SRT8. Even though the sedan's insane amount of Hemi power is intoxicating, its stunning looks are even more seductive. While I prefer white paint on this model, our black 300 still had me swooning. The front grille is like a black lipstick smirk on an attractive fascia. The car has a great stance, and rides on a set of black-mirror-chrome wheels that immediately grab your attention. Everything on the dark exterior is a turn-on. I wanted to spend as much time as I could gawking at this car, not driving it. 470 hp and I didn't want to drive? That's one good-looking automobile.

Chris Nelson, Road Test Editor

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...#ixzz2bF6GYzFr

Last edited by Museman; 08-06-2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: edit
Old 08-07-2013, 09:06 AM
View brfatal's Photo Album

brfatal is on a distinguished road

Remove this ad
Personally I don't hold these as comparable vehicles. The R-Spec is the same car as the 5.0 with different interior colors, larger rotors, a barely thicker sway bar, and different dampers. It's not a performance car and the transmission programming proves it. I hold the R-Spec as comparable to one of the special edition 300Cs with a 5.7L. Hyundai does not have a high performance offering that's meant to compete with cars like out-of-the-way-designed-for-performance AMGs, Ms, or SRTs.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
Personally I don't hold these as comparable vehicles. The R-Spec is the same car as the 5.0 with different interior colors, larger rotors, a barely thicker sway bar, and different dampers. It's not a performance car and the transmission programming proves it. I hold the R-Spec as comparable to one of the special edition 300Cs with a 5.7L. Hyundai does not have a high performance offering that's meant to compete with cars like out-of-the-way-designed-for-performance AMGs, Ms, or SRTs.
[sarcasm]But Hyundai has an R-Spec commercial displaying a guy driving an R-Spec in a helmet, on a race track.[/sarcasm]