Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Forums - 3.8 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 R-Spec V8 > General 2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

General 2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion Forum for discussions specifically regarding the second generation 2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan that don't fit specifically anywhere else.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: Saw the 2015 Genesis in person, no camo

Old 05-22-2013, 05:35 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
View StangKiller's Photo Album

StangKiller is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Saw the 2015 Genesis in person, no camo

Remove this ad
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry'sown View Post
Eh, it's just a rumor until there is something concrete from Hyundai, but if it is true, I would bet you're right. The next R-Spec has also been rumored to have the 5.0L bored out to 5.5L and have 470hp. If that's true as well, that would give an even 75hp difference(320hp vs 395hp vs 470hp) across the Genesis' engine lineup.
This is probably incorrect. The 5.0 is already a bored out 4.6. I'm pretty sure you can't bore out a 4.6 to a 5.5 without having major issues - at least from a production car standpoint. If they really wanted to increase the HP that much, they would probably move back down to a 4.0L twin turbo v8 - similiar to what is offered in the BMW 550.

That being said, if I were a gambling man I would bet on the 5.0 staying around in the rspec for at least the next 2-3 years.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:06 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8
View DRS's Photo Album

DRS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangKiller View Post
This is probably incorrect. The 5.0 is already a bored out 4.6. I'm pretty sure you can't bore out a 4.6 to a 5.5 without having major issues - at least from a production car standpoint. If they really wanted to increase the HP that much, they would probably move back down to a 4.0L twin turbo v8 - similiar to what is offered in the BMW 550.

That being said, if I were a gambling man I would bet on the 5.0 staying around in the rspec for at least the next 2-3 years.
Much of the 4.6 and 5.0 is a copy of Ford's modular design. That includes the block and crank set up. In fact, it can be increased (bore and stroke) to 6.2+L. As Ford has already done and in production. The TAU platform because of its basic copy design of the Ford modular system has much potential improvements.

One of the reasons why Ford has kept FI instead of DI for the V8, is the issue with intake valve buildup. The heads and block as Ford indicates is "DI" ready. They have been testing dual FI/DI and DI designs.

Because of the basic tooling and design, like Ford, it will be easier to improve the block, heads and intake design also.

It is not "chance" that Hyundai chose the exact displacement of the Ford V8 designs. Ford uses a 3 valve head currently (back in mid 2000s used the 4 valve seen in Hyundai) except for the GT500 which is 4 valve.

And my 5.0 sounds like my 4V Mustangs less a supercharger and a quiet intake and exhausts. Like a more quiet, yet deeper sounding my Marauder (which is 4 valve but 4.6L).

The Hyundai engine is amazing. Such refinement, performance and MPG.

Point is, with little or no mods, they could go to at least 5.4-5 (just like Ford) and likely go to 6.2L with small design changes modular system (again, just like Ford). Imagine a tweaked Raptor engine in the Genny... Now there is a CTS killer. Or a 5.4 supercharged, which at 650hp, would slaughter the rest.

Ford missed out by canceling their RWD mid sized new program 5 years ago. Imagine GT500, Boss 302, and Raptor like engine options... Coupled with the chassis design they had ( and Mazda had access to, and Hyundai also got their hands Mazda's files for research on the Genny), Ford/Lincoln would have had a global sedan killer.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:15 AM
Drives a Hyundai In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View YEH's Photo Album

YEH is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dueyduck View Post
Saw the 2015 Genesis in person, with no camo. It was an amazing looking car. The interior is much better, but the real improvements were done on the exterior. I have seen the spy shots, but the production car I saw did not have the multiple LED lights for headlights, it was a single projector HID bulb. The led lights that wrapped around the test mule was not there either, it was replaced with an LED strip that was shaped like an L, from the back to the bottom of the headlight. I would say that the front looks like a mix of an Infiniti M with the grille of an Audi A6. The interior seemed roomier than the 2013 that I own. The interior spy shots that we have seen are identical to the model that was shown to me. The rear lights remind me of the new 5-series, but not shaped the same. Just the way they shined.
Good to know that someone thinks the 2G Genesis is "amazing looking" - based on what can be seen from the spy shots, I have been a bit underwhelmed with the design (while the roofline is a bit sleeker, the greenhouse design is a bit mundane) so maybe I'll have a diff. opinion seeing it totally revealed and in the flesh.

However, the front grill looking like that of Audi is as I had feared (think Hyundai should have stuck to basic grill treatment that they have been using on the Genesis and Equus - just tweaking it).

Now the interior definitely needed an upgrade. While the quality of materials doesn't need to be a nice as that in the Kia Quoris (which has recently been confirmed to hit the US market), it should be on par with that of the Japanese competition, the GS and M, even if the dash design, like the exterior is a bit on the bland/mundane side.

Did you think the quality of materials in the interior was comparable to the Japanese?

Wouldn't worry too much about not waiting to get the 2G Genesis since the best time to get a vehicle is around its refresh (so for the 2G Genesis - about 4 years away), so one can either opt for improvements for the MCE or get a deal on pre-refresh model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry'sown View Post
Eh, it's just a rumor until there is something concrete from Hyundai, but if it is true, I would bet you're right. The next R-Spec has also been rumored to have the 5.0L bored out to 5.5L and have 470hp. If that's true as well, that would give an even 75hp difference(320hp vs 395hp vs 470hp) across the Genesis' engine lineup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangKiller View Post

Hyundai has had a working prototype of a 5.5L Tau for some years now and they also have a supercharged (think 4.6) Tau as well, tho the last rumor was that Hyundai was dropping that in favor of twin turbos.

Aside from the rumored turbo V6, can see Hyundai standing pat with regard to the engines for the time being (it does make sense for the increased bore on the Tau to separate the V8 from the turbo 6, but have some concern about fuel economy which is becoming increasingly impt.).

Can see a twin turbo Tau powerplant sometime down the road for a true performance variant of the Genesis which would be awesome.

Both Hyundai and Kia are being pressured heavily by the Germans in the Korean luxury market and are reportedly working hard on a diesel powerplant for their luxury sedans so down the road, we may also see a diesel powered Genesis and Equus.

Last edited by YEH; 05-23-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:28 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View WowCool's Photo Album

WowCool is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Saw the 2015 Genesis in person, no camo

Hi YEH:
so if I understand correctly,
You do not own a Hyundai or more specifically a Genesis?
I feel your comments if the above is correct are somewhat worthless..
Old 05-24-2013, 06:48 AM
View PMCErnie's Photo Album

PMCErnie is on a distinguished road

Newbie, if you disagree with a member's comments please state your own opinion. It's not necessary to even own a car to be a member here and every member is entitled to an opinion.

Mods/Accessories: Trunk wings, wheel cap wings, chrome side trim, illuminated door sills, mud guards, all-weather winter floor mats and trunk cargo mat. Llumar Air Blue 80 ceramic tint. Custom-made left foot rest/dead pedal.

- 2014 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T AWD (wife)
Old 05-24-2013, 07:35 AM
View Potty_Pants's Photo Album

Potty_Pants is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WowCool View Post
Hi YEH:
so if I understand correctly,
You do not own a Hyundai or more specifically a Genesis?
I feel your comments if the above is correct are somewhat worthless..
Wow ?

you really need to step back and read what your writing... and if you believe it, your wrong.

people dont need to OWN a product to be fully versed in it. I knew kids that knew more about BMWs then me... are they to be discredited because they dont own one.... If this is all you base knowledge upon you need to rethink.

YEH IMO has been around here for long enough and usually his comments are close to the money shot. God knows who he is and what he does... quite frankly i dont care. His info is valued and appreciated.

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS > Grand Am GT > Nissan Maxima > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude > Infiniti G35 > BMW E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Old 05-24-2013, 10:34 AM
View Ruissimo's Photo Album

Ruissimo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMCErnie View Post
Newbie, if you disagree with a member's comments please state your own opinion. It's not necessary to even own a car to be a member here and every member is entitled to an opinion.
+1

I was on these forums for over a year and a half before I bought my R Spec... and I guarantee you, I knew more about the car than some of the owners.

2012 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R Spec Black / Black Click here for album
(KDM Badges front/rear/wheels/steering wheel, sticker for now 35% Tint)
Old 05-24-2013, 11:06 AM
View Mark63021's Photo Album

Mark63021 is on a distinguished road

I was reading this forum for over a year before I became a member and that was seven months before I finally bought my car. I sure as hell knew/know more about these cars than any of the salesmen I worked with. Due respect to YEH, I admit agree with the mindset that ownership grants a degree of credibility to one's opinions more so than that of a non-owning "hobbyist", if I may call it that.

Add-ons:
Ceramic tint, All KDM wing options,
Splash guards, Cargo tray.
Mods:
Coin tray, Dead pedal shim.
LEDs:
Rear turn, Backup, Lic plate, Trunk,
Glove box, Puddle lights, ft wells.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:31 PM
View thebells's Photo Album

thebells is on a distinguished road

Wowcool. You need to rethink your comments above. Everyone's input is welcome here as long as it's appropriate to the topic and respectful.

Like many others I lurked here for months before I purchased.
Manufacture Date: June 19, 2012
Old 05-26-2013, 09:00 PM
View SimpsonTide985's Photo Album

SimpsonTide985 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Really wish this model was available before I bought my 2013.
Aww yeah, that's gotta suck.

I've been a fan of the Genesis for a long time and I'd been watching and reading reviews for years and it's always been near the top of my list of new cars to check out. The car I have now--it's lease runs out in exactly one year. It only had just occurred to me that the Genesis sedan must be entering its second generation within the next year or so and I'm starting to a little bit of research. I'm hoping that I can hold out a little bit longer for the 2015 model. I'm sure it's going to be amazing---my only worry/question is, can Hyundai maintain increasing the value of the Genesis while maintaining that low price? I don't know about you all, but I'm expecting a pretty noticeable price jump--at least $1,700 higher onto MSRP for the loaded V6.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:03 PM
View SimpsonTide985's Photo Album

SimpsonTide985 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The specs shown was a 320hp V-6 (down 10hp) and 300lb/ft (up 10lb).
You know, if the new transmission is as good as they say, the increase in torque and a smoother transmission should more than make up for a slight decrease in HP--especially if it'll pull off a slight MPG improvement as well.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:39 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View smoove7410's Photo Album

smoove7410 is on a distinguished road

Is this pretty accurate?

Interior wise, did they wrap the dash?

Last edited by smoove7410; 05-27-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:03 PM
View Ruissimo's Photo Album

Ruissimo is on a distinguished road

This is probably a little more accurate:

BUT NOT OFFICIAL.

EDIT: I take that back... the grill on your picture holds the license plate, so that actually makes more sense to me. Who knows.

2012 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R Spec Black / Black Click here for album
(KDM Badges front/rear/wheels/steering wheel, sticker for now 35% Tint)
Old 05-27-2013, 10:11 PM
View STREETS's Photo Album

STREETS is on a distinguished road

Remove this ad
Well- intro is in Detroit- 7 months away- plenty of time for -hopefully- changes we want.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:38 AM
View deise17311's Photo Album

deise17311 is on a distinguished road

Seems to look like the ford fusion! I hope the real deal is a step above...which I am sure it will be...