Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Forums - 3.8 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 R-Spec V8 > General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion Forum for discussions regarding the Hyundai Genesis Sedan that don't fit specifically anywhere else.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: Prepurchase Question: 2013 vs 2014 Genesis Sedan

Old 05-01-2013, 02:59 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View Eijun's Photo Album

Eijun is on a distinguished road
Default Prepurchase Question: 2013 vs 2014 Genesis Sedan

Remove this ad
I had been split, should I wait for the 2014 model or should I buy the 2013?

I am kinda leaning to the 2014 model, too bad there is not enough info out there on it.

2013 - +I prefer the RWD
2013 - +Sub $30k with no haggling (likely can get below 29 if I haggle or out the door)

2014 - +Redone Hood/Grill (I like it better than the 2013)
2014 - +Analog Clock
2014 - ?Price Range?
2014 - ?are they going to have RWD or All???
2014 - ?Manual Tranny (likely not, but if do then it will eat into the 4door coupe market)

A sun/moon/panronama roof is nice but too much $$$$ for just the roof (which is part of their packages, likely can get aftermarket for cheaper)
The GPS/speakers I dont really care much about being I prefer either DYI or aftermarket.
No opinion on either of the interiors (I prefer the Coupe interior, it is more simple)

What is your opinions?

Old 05-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View GenesisCaptain's Photo Album

GenesisCaptain is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Prepurchase Question: 2013 vs 2014 Genesis Sedan

I had to make the very same decision with a Honda Odyssey 5 years ago. They were doing a mid-cycle refresh and likely to introduce several potential updates. I had a wish list of things I wanted that I then created a probability guess of likelihood they would be offered in the new model. And, I had to do my best to guess when I could even get the new model.

I decided to buy the earlier model. In retrospect, I am so happy I buy what I bought. I really only gave up one feature I wish I had. But, I saved a ton of money and I got the car many months sooner. They ended up being late to market.

If you love the 2013 and you need a car now, then get the 2013. If you do not need a car and can hang on for a while longer, get the 2015.

Wish List: Illuminated door sills, LED fog lights, Akebono Euro brake pads, Rear outside door unlock buttons
Old 05-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Supporting Member
View Ernie3647's Photo Album

Ernie3647 is on a distinguished road

Why don’t you wait till the 2014 comes out and make your decision then. You’ll gain two advantages first you’ll get to see what it’s like and if it offers you something you need or want. Second the 2013 will still be available and you‘ll most likely get a better deal on it. As for me my decision is made from what I’ve seen and read 2014 is the trade up year
Old 05-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
View Ruissimo's Photo Album

Ruissimo is on a distinguished road

I agree... wait and THEN decide. If you CAN wait, that is.

I think it's a pretty good bet that the Gen II's will be available in both RWD and AWD. I don't know if the Panoramic sunroof will be standard equipment, but I would look to the Azera option packages as an early indicator of where Genesis packages might land. Again, nothing is set in stone.

My guess is definitely no 6-speed manual. 10-speed automatic only (if they build it in time, otherwise the same tranny we have now). Paddle shifters are a very good possibility based on a couple of pictures.

I'm really looking forward to the new tech, more than anything else. Things like 360 degree top-down parking cameras, seat-integrated blind-spot detection and HUD. But none of that has been confirmed... though it is confirmed on its cousin, the Quoris. And some of it even on the new Cadenza!

2012 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R Spec Black / Black • Click here for album
(KDM Badges front/rear/wheels/steering wheel, sticker for now • 35% Tint)
Old 05-01-2013, 10:07 PM
View 427435's Photo Album

427435 is on a distinguished road

I never buy the first year of a dramatically changed car. Too many early bugs to deal with. Maybe the 2nd year, but not the first.

Part of the my reason for buying a 2013 R-Spec was the hope that most of the bugs have been worked out. Time will tell.

2013 Genesis R-Spec, 429 hp, Cabernet Red, 15,000
miles
2003 Eddie Bauer Explorer, 239 hp, 120,000 miles
2003 Anniversary Special, 375 hp, 23,000 miles
1967 Corvette, 435 hp, 100,000+ miles (my 1st new
car)
1977 IH Scout, lots of torque, lots of miles
1994 Topaz, who cares, 234,000 miles
Old 05-01-2013, 11:58 PM
View kf4zra's Photo Album

kf4zra is on a distinguished road

I am in the same boat as you. Crappy thing for Hyundai is if they would just let me see pics and read specs of the 2014 model, I could make my decision between the 2013 and 2014. Since I can't get that information, I have started looking at other options. I found the Infiniti M56 and I like what I see.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427435 View Post
I never buy the first year of a dramatically changed car. Too many early bugs to deal with. Maybe the 2nd year, but not the first.

Part of the my reason for buying a 2013 R-Spec was the hope that most of the bugs have been worked out. Time will tell.
I did that with the 2007 Camry. The gas pedal was not able to be used smoothly, and the doors would always slam instead of that heavy "thunk" they should do. 6 mo later, i bought a 2009 Camry XLE v6 and it was completely different. The pedal was smooth as silk and the doors closed right. Toyota kept telling me things were normal without checking out the car.

The reason I am willing to take a chance with a new Genesis is that from what I have read here, many Hyundai dealerships seem to give more effort to making people happy than Toyota dealerships do.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:54 AM
View ockevin's Photo Album

ockevin is on a distinguished road

The new car is a 2015 model. The 2014 is the same as the current car.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:16 AM
View GenesisCaptain's Photo Album

GenesisCaptain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4zra View Post
I am in the same boat as you. Crappy thing for Hyundai is if they would just let me see pics and read specs of the 2014 model, I could make my decision between the 2013 and 2014. Since I can't get that information, I have started looking at other options. I found the Infiniti M56 and I like what I see.
It is kind of a bummer. But, I do not remember any automaker that has revealed much about a new model before its grand release. And, even when the car is announced with pictures and stuff, they still won't likely reveal colors and features until it is arriving on dealer lots. The auto industry is especially super-secretive about their styling changes for upcoming models.

If the next model will not get revealed at an auto show until 2014, then I would bet it does not hit dealerships until the fall of 2014 as a 2015 model year car. That means you probably have another sixteen months, at least, before you could get hold of one. The odd thing is that a fall 2014 release of a 2015 would put the first generation Genesis at an 8 year model cycle. That is very long for even the most expensive cars.

Wish List: Illuminated door sills, LED fog lights, Akebono Euro brake pads, Rear outside door unlock buttons
Old 05-02-2013, 11:29 AM
View Eijun's Photo Album

So the new model will be in 2015 (late 2014).... *pooie* Then you guys do not recommend getting the first year of the new model so 2016 model, cant wait that long.

Ok, Genesis this month then (likely this weekend). What should a 3.8 Sedan cost (with no techy options)?
Old 05-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8
View DRS's Photo Album

DRS is on a distinguished road

Under $30K.

Also, you ought to check put Hertz car sales for their Genesis. Base models. However, most are in great condition. If you happen to find a gold one from the Midwest available, I can confirm the serial number to see if it was the one I had on long term rental. It had 9k mileage on it. Turned it in with just under 30k miles.

These might be a cheap way to have your cake and eat it too. Get the model you are wanting, take the depreciation, and then trade for a 2016.

They let you drive the one you are looking at for a free 3 day rental to make sure it is good shape. And they have a warranty.

Just a thought.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:43 PM
View Eijun's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS View Post
Under $30K.

Also, you ought to check put Hertz car sales for their Genesis. Base models. However, most are in great condition. If you happen to find a gold one from the Midwest available, I can confirm the serial number to see if it was the one I had on long term rental. It had 9k mileage on it. Turned it in with just under 30k miles.

These might be a cheap way to have your cake and eat it too. Get the model you are wanting, take the depreciation, and then trade for a 2016.

They let you drive the one you are looking at for a free 3 day rental to make sure it is good shape. And they have a warranty.

Just a thought.
So $29 out the door then? Or do you suggest $28k out the door?

Already looked at the Hertz & Enterprise. Hertz has zero Genesis in my area, and Enterprise is 24-26k for 2012 all with 22k+ miles on them which seems like normal depreciation to me.
Would take a double look if I can bring it down more but I highly don't think I can haggle much on those than I can with a dealer and get warranty and extra things out of it too.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:44 PM
View krazyfiend's Photo Album

krazyfiend is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eijun View Post

Already looked at the Hertz & Enterprise. Hertz has zero Genesis in my area, and Enterprise is 24-26k for 2012 all with 22k+ miles on them which seems like normal depreciation to me.
Would take a double look if I can bring it down more but I highly don't think I can haggle much on those than I can with a dealer and get warranty and extra things out of it too.
And I can almost put money on it, those exact same cars your found avail at Enterprise will go for 3-5 grand less than their asking when they more than likely sell at a Manheim/OVE auction (many dealers pick up and certify used cars from outlets like OVE).

Knowing how I drive rental cars when I'm out of town for work or whatever, I'd be hard pressed to ever purchase a fleet car unless it was practically new when I rented it (long term) and then eventually purchased it. Hertz's terms for long term rental are very favorable when you factor in all that is taken care of and flexibility of term vs leasing.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:05 PM

Remove this ad
I am not sure what part of the country you are in, but I have also rented the Genesis from National in New Orleans and Seattle, and from Budget/Avis in Tampa. I have seen them all over the country, those are just the ones I personally remember the location I got one

May want to look into those companies too. I am sure they sell them off when they are done with them.

Every one I have gotten has been in perfect condition, v6 with no Tech or Premium.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:07 PM
View Eijun's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyfiend View Post
And I can almost put money on it, those exact same cars your found avail at Enterprise will go for 3-5 grand less than their asking when they more than likely sell at a Manheim/OVE auction (many dealers pick up and certify used cars from outlets like OVE).

Knowing how I drive rental cars when I'm out of town for work or whatever, I'd be hard pressed to ever purchase a fleet car unless it was practically new when I rented it (long term) and then eventually purchased it. Hertz's terms for long term rental are very favorable when you factor in all that is taken care of and flexibility of term vs leasing.
Yea those pictures that is taken shown the leather looks kinda worn for the closer ones (ones with the correct color that I am willing to touch ie not red). The good looking ones have a over 1k shipping.

I guess a new 2013 it is.

So the main question now is 29k out the door or haggle to 28k out the door?