Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Forums - 3.8 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 R-Spec V8 > Wheels, Tires, Detailing and Appearance Modifications
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

Wheels, Tires, Detailing and Appearance Modifications Discussions regarding wheels, tires, detailing and interior/exterior modifications.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: Led drl's and fogs

Old 04-23-2013, 09:26 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
View Bert Man's Photo Album

Bert Man is on a distinguished road
Default Led drl's and fogs

Remove this ad
5K WHITE 10 LED FOG LIGHT BULBS H8
http://www.vleds.com/bulb/h-series/h...h8-1-pair.html

6K WHITE 6 LED DRL LIGHT BULBS H7
http://www.vleds.com/bulb/h-series/h...h7-1-pair.html

Yes I know I lose the high beam functionality of the halogens but that yellow color from the DRL's was just gross looking to me. Especially since they are on all the time. You can still flash these LED bulbs but they are not highbeams. The difference between the 6 and 10 leds is 125 lumens.

The 6k DRL bulbs have a faint blue tint to them and look pretty darn sharp during the daytime. I wanted a little blue color in there because they only run by themselves (unlike the fogs)

The 5K FOGs more accurately represent a pure white color. I went with 5k for the fogs to try and match the HID lows. Unfortunately, these leds make the HID lows look slightly yellow.

Next upgrade will be D1S Osram Xenarc 66144 CBI bulbs. Hopefully I can get a pure white color out of these bulbs.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...ducts_id=17166

would like to figure out how to wire the led strip to act as DRL's

Night pics dont do the color any justice. Very hard to capture the actual color.

DRL

FOGs

Old 04-24-2013, 08:19 AM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View OneFunGenesis's Photo Album

OneFunGenesis is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Led drl's and fogs

Can you see the fog lights on the road at all? The problem with LED's is that they look great when looking at them but are basically useless for light output (with the exception of the new Audi headlights (look it up)).

Quote:
Originally Posted by staz View Post
Thanks for all your responses regarding the RHF Antenna that I discovered under my Genny. Turns out my car was installed with teletrac at the dealership, and this is just the tracking antenna that the police use to locate the vehicle (kind of like Lo-Jack).
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFunGenesis View Post
I would take it off, hook it up to a small battery and FedEx that bitch around the world
Old 04-24-2013, 08:31 AM
View jnc2000's Photo Album

jnc2000 is on a distinguished road

CBI's are a great and simple upgrade.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Can you see the fog lights on the road at all? The problem with LED's is that they look great when looking at them but are basically useless for light output (with the exception of the new Audi headlights (look it up)).
There really is no usable light that reflects on the road. I rarely use/need foglights anyway but it does annoy me that they are useless now although they look nice.

The morimoto H8 hid kit would be a great solution for the foglights. Exceptional light output compared to stock and they look just as good as leds.

My main goal was to match the color of the hid lows to the foglights. Getting the morimoto h8 kit and morimoto d1s bulbs in the same kelvin rating would be the easiest solution. However, I still want to use the Osram Xenarc in the low beams since they seem to be the best of the best....so to speak.

I believe I saw a post of yours stating you have the morimoto d1s bulbs? If so, whats your opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnc2000 View Post
CBI's are a great and simple upgrade.
Do you have them?

Last edited by Bert Man; 04-24-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:19 PM

I do have the Morimotos. This is my second set of 5000K's (had the first set in my Nissan) and they are excellent. Superior light output and color matching. My Nissan's were still going strong after 3 years and I expect these to last at least this long. For the price, they cannot be beat.

On a side note, the Genesis projectors themselves need a serious upgrade.

I would never put HID's or LED's in my fogs personally. I use them all the time and the HID's glare badly. It wouldn't make sense to have some lights on my car that don't work as lights lol

Quote:
Thanks for all your responses regarding the RHF Antenna that I discovered under my Genny. Turns out my car was installed with teletrac at the dealership, and this is just the tracking antenna that the police use to locate the vehicle (kind of like Lo-Jack).
Quote:
I would take it off, hook it up to a small battery and FedEx that bitch around the world
Old 04-24-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I do have the Morimotos. This is my second set of 5000K's (had the first set in my Nissan) and they are excellent. Superior light output and color matching. My Nissan's were still going strong after 3 years and I expect these to last at least this long. For the price, they cannot be beat.

On a side note, the Genesis projectors themselves need a serious upgrade.

I would never put HID's or LED's in my fogs personally. I use them all the time and the HID's glare badly. It wouldn't make sense to have some lights on my car that don't work as lights lol
I saw on TRS they have some clear lenses that are made for the Sonata
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...ducts_id=19520

I wonder if that will work for the genesis also...

75$ for the morimotos so I guess its worth a shot compared to the 200$ for the osrams
Old 04-24-2013, 04:30 PM

I would say it is. Watch for color match problems. I had a small problem with the two on my Nissan being slightly different colors and had to exchange them. But I didn't have those problems with this pair.

I hope they do make a clear lens upgrade for our projectors, but that isn't the main problem. The optics of these aren't optimal compared to a lexus/infiniti/M-B :/

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-25-2013, 12:07 AM

Pulled the trigger on the d1s Osram Xenarc 66144 CBI bulbs and the morimoto 5k h8 kit for the fogs.

The kelvin rating for the osrams is 5500 so im hoping they will look very similiar to the morimoto 5k.

Was very tempted to buy the morimoto 6k h7 for the drl/hi beams (especially since I had a 20% off code but I think hids for drl's is excessive.

Knowing me, that one time where I actually need my brights and cannot use them b/c im using leds in there, ill probably go back and buy them.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:39 AM

Nice. Update when installed

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-25-2013, 08:03 AM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View krazyfiend's Photo Album

krazyfiend is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Man View Post
Was very tempted to buy the morimoto 6k h7 for the drl/hi beams (especially since I had a 20% off code but I think hids for drl's is excessive.

Knowing me, that one time where I actually need my brights and cannot use them b/c im using leds in there, ill probably go back and buy them.

DRL uses 9 volts of electricity, high beam uses 12, and HID requires 12 to properly ignite. When a HID is given 9 volts, it will start to blink because it didn't ignite properly. It will be kind of like when some fluorescent lamps did not properly ignite or when one tube is burned and the other one start blinking. If you if you don't remove the DRL fuse, it will kill the HID very fast. If you use say a 30 amp relay kit, the lower voltage fed when in DRL mode will just ignite the HID's to be on at all times.

Keep in mind that if you install HID in high beam or foglight you will lose the ability to flash people with high beam. Because you don't want to keep on turning on and off the HID in a matter of seconds, again reducing the life of the HID.

If you have HID fog lights, when high beam is on, the fog lights will turn off (at least it works that way on my 3G TL-S, not sure if it's that same on the Genny).

I'm sure someone else well chime in on the refraction, blinding people and the obligatory link over to daniel stern lighting in regards to your fog lights.. I'm in for future pics and seeing your D1S upgrade output (if at all possible with the stock and Osram's in pls!).

Last edited by krazyfiend; 04-25-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyfiend View Post
If you have HID fog lights, when high beam is on, the fog lights will turn off (at least it works that way on my 3G TL-S, not sure if it's that same on the Genny).
United States vehicle law says that when your high beams turn on the foglights must turn off. All cars in the US do it unless modified/AM foglights.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-25-2013, 03:09 PM
View brfatal's Photo Album

brfatal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Man View Post
Pulled the trigger on the d1s Osram Xenarc 66144 CBI bulbs and the morimoto 5k h8 kit for the fogs.

The kelvin rating for the osrams is 5500 so im hoping they will look very similiar to the morimoto 5k.

I suggest returning those. You can't use HIDs in foglights at all. It actually makes incremental weather vision worse and glares a LOT in clear weather and you will be blinding other drivers. There is a reason that no reputable company makes HID foglights, because they go completely against their purpose.

HID high beams is not excessive, it just doesn't work at all. Reduced DRL voltage will destroy HID bulbs as will turning them off and on and not allowing them to reach operating temperature when flashing your brights.

Last edited by brfatal; 04-25-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:50 PM
View jnc2000's Photo Album

jnc2000 is on a distinguished road

Too much foreground lighting can be detrimental... and cause your eyes to focus improperly.

Quote:
In clear conditions, more foreground light is not a good thing, it's a bad thing. Some foreground light is necessary so you can use your peripheral vision to see where you are relative to the road edges, the lane markings and that pothole 10 feet in front of your left wheels. But foreground light is far less safety-critical than light cast well down the road into the distance, because at any significant speed (much above 30 mph), what's in the foreground is too close for you to do much about. If you increase the foreground light, your pupils react to the bright, wide pool of light by constricting, which in turn substantially reduces your distance vision—especially since there's no increase in down-the-road distance light to go along with the increased foreground light. It's insidious, because high levels of foreground light give the illusion, the subjective impression, of comfort and security and "good lighting".
This thread would not be complete without the following:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...fog_lamps.html
Old 04-25-2013, 03:57 PM

Remove this ad
^^

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-06-2013, 10:55 PM

installed the new osram cbi bulbs and and 5k morimoto hid fogs. color match is pretty close but not perfect. I can live with it because the cbi bulbs are much better then stock. I need to find a pitch black parking lot with a wall so i can adjust the cutoff a little better and re-aim the fog lights. However, without any adjustments and just plug and play, the light output is much better and the color is closer to pure white.

fog light ballast wiring is plug and play. you do not need to use the heavy duty relay. the only issue ive noticed going this route is if you have the foglight switch always in the "on" position (meaning the fogs will turn on when you put the low beams on), sometimes one fog light will not fire up. To avoid that I need to put the low beams on first then turn the fogs on. Doing it this way makes sure they both fire up every time

front bumper needs to be partially taken off in order to remove the headlight from the car.

stock

cbi

stock on left, cbi on right

passenger side fog light ballast mounting location. does not make contact with airbox.

driver side fog light ballast location

working on getting pics of the lights actually on lol