Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Forums - 3.8 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 R-Spec V8 > General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion Forum for discussions regarding the Hyundai Genesis Sedan that don't fit specifically anywhere else.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: Replacement remote keyless entry fob

Old 01-28-2013, 08:49 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View E43509's Photo Album

E43509 is on a distinguished road
Default Replacement remote keyless entry fob

Remove this ad
Sooo confused ...
I just purchased a 2009 Genesis sedan and it has only 1 fob and emergency key.
I want to purchase another and not pay the dealer $300 plus $70 programming (plus key blank & cutting a new key $100).
Looking online (primarily ebay) I see lots of possibilities but have also heard lots of remotes not working.
How can I feel comfortable that I am getting the right fob? Base it completely on the FCC ID? or is there a part number that I must match up?

Most of the locksmiths around me no longer deal with the automotive remotes/keys.

The emergency key seems to be less of an issue as you got to buy a blank and find someone to cut it.

Anyone have other sources?

Old 01-28-2013, 11:51 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View Gunkk's Photo Album

Gunkk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Replacement remote keyless entry fob

IIRC only the dealer can program a fob via live link to HMA via the internet. So go to the dealer and pay what they ask for a new key. Shop around or haggle with them to cut you a deal when you get an oil change.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:46 AM
View Southern Boy's Photo Album

Southern Boy is on a distinguished road

I have been down this road and hereís my advice.

Forget buying a used key fob. You cannot get a used key fob reprogramed for a Genesis. Any other Hyundai model key fob can be reprogramed, but a Genesis cannot and I suspect the Equus is the same as far as reprograming the fob. This is an added security feature for these models. (Call your dealer to verify what I have just stated).

Each car can only have two fobs programed to it and you need one of the original fobs to program the new fob to the car and only your dealer can do the programing.

Your dealerís service department can supply you with the exact P/N for your car. You need this if you are going to search for a new fob someplace other than the dealerís parts department. The reason you have to get the exact P/N is that there are different RF signal frequencies emitted by the fobs to control the locking / unlocking of the doors, trunk and security alarms. This frequency has to match the cars frequency or these functions will not work.

MAKE SURE THE P/N IS AN EXACT MATCH BEFORE YOU PURCHASE A FOB FROM SOMEONE OTHER THAN THE DEALER.

The hard key can be bought off of eBay (I got mine for $15 bucks). If you can find a locksmith that has a "sidewinder" key duplication machine they will be able to cut the key for you (I paid $35 to have the new key cut)
Chrome pillars, Chrome door trim
Wings hood & trunk, Wings wheel caps
TSW Sentterton Chrome 18X8 40mm offset Wheels
General G- Max AS03 225/50ZR18 Tires Nitrogen fill
Southern Life Philosophy:
Faster Cars, Younger Women, Older Whiskey and More Money!
Old 01-29-2013, 06:10 PM

Thanks for the info. I keep on searching to avoid the $300 Hyundai dealer fob and limit my search to folk that will allow me to return if it can't be programmed.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:21 PM
View snork's Photo Album

snork is on a distinguished road

Southern Boy pretty much nailed. I bought my car CPO and the dealer only had 1 key so they included a 2nd new key with my purchase. They had to order the key and I dropped the car for programming. I looked up the programming procedure on HMAservice.com and read what's in the manual. The car can only be programmed to 2 fobs (max.) and both fobs must be present whenever doing the programming. The programming must also be done by a dealer because they have to hook up the special Hyundai service laptop with their proprietary software to the car to perform the programming and enter some special ID # based on the VIN #.

So you're pretty much at the mercy of your local dealers for programming at least IMHO, you might as well bite the bullet and just have the dealer do it. My sales guy did warn me they charge a flat $450 for new key + programming if I lose one
Old 01-30-2013, 12:36 PM
View Southern Boy's Photo Album

Southern Boy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by E43509 View Post
Thanks for the info. I keep on searching to avoid the $300 Hyundai dealer fob and limit my search to folk that will allow me to return if it can't be programmed.
Be advised if you purchase a fob from an off shore vendor it is a pain in the @ss to return it for a refund and once it has been programed it becomes useless to them.

I also went down that road on EBay where I purchased a "new" fob for $127 from a company in South Korea that my dealer was able to program to start the car, but it had a different RF signal so none of the locks worked. They took it back which surprised me.

It weighed 2.1 oz. and UPS wanted $86 dollars to ship it back because of customs requirements to allow it to enter the country.

I wound up shipping it back USPS for $1.92, but it took a month of Sundays to get there and USPS canít provide you a tracking number on the package.
Chrome pillars, Chrome door trim
Wings hood & trunk, Wings wheel caps
TSW Sentterton Chrome 18X8 40mm offset Wheels
General G- Max AS03 225/50ZR18 Tires Nitrogen fill
Southern Life Philosophy:
Faster Cars, Younger Women, Older Whiskey and More Money!
Old 02-22-2013, 11:57 AM
View smokinnukie's Photo Album

smokinnukie is on a distinguished road

I am having the same problem with intermittent remote entry. After replacing batteries in the key fobs, the problem is still intermittent.

A few days ago, not only was the remote entry not working but the pushbutton start did not work! After depressing the key fob buttons multiple times, the pushbutton start worked. The only trend that I can see from this intermittent problem is that it occurs when the weather turns much cooler. Since I live in Central Florida, we don't have many cold days. However I have noticed that my problem only occurs on mornings when we are down into the 30's.

I'm planning to take to my dealership tomorrow...for documentation if nothing else. Has anyone gotten a resolution to this intermittent problem yet?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:51 PM
View deepcolor's Photo Album

deepcolor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinnukie View Post
I am having the same problem with intermittent remote entry. After replacing batteries in the key fobs, the problem is still intermittent.

A few days ago, not only was the remote entry not working but the pushbutton start did not work! After depressing the key fob buttons multiple times, the pushbutton start worked. The only trend that I can see from this intermittent problem is that it occurs when the weather turns much cooler. Since I live in Central Florida, we don't have many cold days. However I have noticed that my problem only occurs on mornings when we are down into the 30's.

I'm planning to take to my dealership tomorrow...for documentation if nothing else. Has anyone gotten a resolution to this intermittent problem yet?

Thanks in advance.
same problem here. luckily, only one remote acts up, the other is fine. new batteries didn't seem to help either. but i did point the problem out to the dealer, but they couldnt get it to act up for them, so they told me to bring ther car back and leave it w/ them for an entire day. haven't did that yet, but bottom line, the FOB is a piece of sh##. hopefully they fix it.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:51 AM
View Gunkk's Photo Album

Gunkk is on a distinguished road

In the case of intermittent problems, take a video and show it to the dealer.

Much less frustration for you that way.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:21 AM
View homeofstone's Photo Album

homeofstone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcolor View Post
same problem here. luckily, only one remote acts up, the other is fine. new batteries didn't seem to help either. but i did point the problem out to the dealer, but they couldnt get it to act up for them, so they told me to bring ther car back and leave it w/ them for an entire day. haven't did that yet, but bottom line, the FOB is a piece of sh##. hopefully they fix it.
Should be under the 60k warranty
2005 Mercedes E500 w/sport pkg.
2013 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD
1965 Ford Mustang 289cid V8 restored
Old 02-28-2013, 03:57 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View bruceb's Photo Album

bruceb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcolor View Post
Any answer for this? I have the same problem with both my fobs.

Bruce
Old 03-09-2013, 05:07 PM

Summary of my remote key fob adventure.
Hopefully this will be helpful to someone, as it took me several weeks to wade thru all the information.
Thanks to everyone who provided input to this thread.

My need:
2009 Hyundai Genesis sedan came with just one remote/key fob that I purchased from a private owner.
Average Hyundai dealer pricing around my area:
  • Remote 95440-3M100 $300
  • Programming $80
  • Emergency key blank 81999-3M020 and cutting: $100.

Spoiler: I found a remote with key blank for $100, programming for $60, Key cutting for $25.

Remote fob:
Crazy info and pricing abound.
Some say the FCC ID has to match (SY5BH4FNA04), others say the part number, no consistent rules to follow.
Ebay had quite a few options and many of the sellers were quite responsive to my questions. Most had good return polices but if the device didn't program, I was out that programming fee and still had to return the fob. Watch out for 'restocking fees'.
From many vendors, the existing remote I had was running about $200+. I have no idea why mine was so expensive.

Ebay Sellers (and they had their own websites) carkeysfast (http://www.carkeysfast.com/) and mykeyless-1 (https://ikeyless.com/) stood behind a 'compatible' fob. The fully refurbished Hyundai Part #95440-3M220 (hard plastic and has an LED) FCC ID# SY5HMFNA04.
I took a chance and ordered (recommend calling and not just buy off their site as the pricing was better via phone) from ikeyless.com. For under $100, came with a blade key blank, 1 year warranty, and the new remote came within 2 days.

Just as an aside, I was ready to order from http://originalkeyless.com as they had my exact part number and FCC ID for $75. However their return policy is horrendous (3 days to notify and return back to them in 14 days from when they shipped it to you) and 25% restocking fee. They did respond to emails quickly but seemed to be hard headed. If you used a dealer to program and it failed to program, they would not honor the return. I searched for reviews on originalkeyless.com and lots of Better Business issues. http://www.central-northern-western-...-company-12396.

I only found 2 auto locksmiths (www.maryonslock.com/ and https://www.facebook.com/AccessPlusLocksmiths) within 100 miles that would even quote me a price for a remote and programming and their costs were getting close to the dealer fees.

Programming
I have a 6 Hyundais in the family and came across this product http://www.obdtester.com/hicom that says it can do smart key programming just the like Hyunda GDS (Global Diagnostic System). You just need to get the immobilizer code. Getting the immobilizer code was easy. Go to the dealer, show them registration and ID and get the 6 digit pin. The obdtester runs ~$400 and was very interesting package. I could read alot more data than just my handheld OBD. Alas, it could not communicate with my SMART ECU for key programming and despite online sessions with the vendor SECONS, we had no luck for a week. I already had the remote fob and was running out of time to return it.
I opted to go to a dealer http://hyundaiofbowie.com/ that had the best price for programming $60 and if the remote failed to programmed, they would not charge me a second time for programming when I had a replacement fob sent from the vendor.

Key cutting
Most of the Hyundai dealers seem to send out the keys to get them cut in NJ as they don't have a machine to cut the 'laser' key. Only one Hyundai dealer had a machine to cut the key http://www.fitzmall.com/ for $65. In my area, nearly all of the locksmiths did not have a 'sidewinder' key cutting machine (thanks SouthernBoy for that info as the name of the machine made it easier to talk to the locksmiths) to cut high security keys. After many phone calls, I stumbled upon Baldino's Lock and Key http://www.baldinos.com/ that would cut it for $25.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:23 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View bruceb's Photo Album

bruceb is on a distinguished road

What a journey for a remote key! Does anyone else think that technology is out of control?

Thanks E43509 for the info.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:29 PM
View Upchucked's Photo Album

Upchucked is on a distinguished road

Remove this ad
Well, all of this is very interesting, but, the simple matter is that my wife has lost her key fob, and has been using mine for the past several months. Today, she announced that she lost mine as well, and will need to use my car until I can get a key for her.

Suggestions? This is a case of having no remote key.....
Old 08-12-2013, 10:05 PM

Take your car registration that shows your VIN to a Hyundai dealer and you'll have to pony up a several hundred for a new fob and a key and programming.
Sorry.
Call around to several Hyundai dealers and price it out as some can cut the key blank, others have to send to Hyundai mothership.
I don't think you have the luxury to go third party unless you can get the dealer to give you an exact part number for your VIN.
Best of luck