Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Forums - 3.8 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 R-Spec V8 > General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion Forum for discussions regarding the Hyundai Genesis Sedan that don't fit specifically anywhere else.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: Cruise control radar

Old 12-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Waki's Photo Album

Waki is on a distinguished road
Question Cruise control radar

Remove this ad
Does anyone know any way to turn OFF the radar spacing feature on the cruise control and have a normal cruise control ? HELP !

Old 12-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View homeofstone's Photo Album

homeofstone is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cruise control radar

it does not turn off, it can only be adjusted regarding distance to next vehicle which is like Mercedes.
2005 Mercedes E500 w/sport pkg.
2013 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD
1965 Ford Mustang 289cid V8 restored
Old 12-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Drives a Hyundai 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View Stoofpilot's Photo Album

Stoofpilot is on a distinguished road

Why would you want to turn it off? I set mine at the furthest distance and enjoy the adapt control. When it starts to work I just move into the passing lane and never need to worry about the gas pedal.

Naval Aviator
2010 Genesis Sterling Blue 4.6 with Tech
2004 Mercedes SL500
Old 12-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View homeofstone's Photo Album

homeofstone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoofpilot View Post
Why would you want to turn it off? I set mine at the furthest distance and enjoy the adapt control. When it starts to work I just move into the passing lane and never need to worry about the gas pedal.
^what he said. however I use the middle or short distance setting unless on a 70mph speed limit. We use the cruise everyday, its a great feature.
2005 Mercedes E500 w/sport pkg.
2013 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD
1965 Ford Mustang 289cid V8 restored
Old 12-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Mark_888's Photo Album

Mark_888 will become famous soon enough

According to John Krafcik, CEO of HMA, lawyers have said it would create a legal liability issue if they allowed it to be turned off, because someone may get confused and forget it was off, and be driving while thinking it was on and depending on the car to slow down on its own.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:20 AM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
View SmoovC's Photo Album

SmoovC is on a distinguished road

Infiniti allows you to use their system either way.

Is the gentleman from Hyundai saying we are not as intelligent as Infiniti owners?!
2000 Dodge Dakota C/C R/T: Flame Red 5.9L, 1 of 800 Produced, 20" R/T Replica Wheels, Belltech Lowered, Flowmaster Exhaust
Old 12-10-2012, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoovC View Post

Is the gentleman from Hyundai saying we are not as intelligent as Infiniti owners?!
All I know is that he was advised there is a legal liability risk. I guess it is a question of risk/reward. the risk that one will get sued vs the reward that you will make a sale (or not loose a sale) if customer can switch it off.

My personal opinion is that people who drive at highway speeds without adequate distance between them and the car in front on them should be thrown in a vat of boiling oil. I see this frequently, and it is a major problem IMO.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:56 AM
View SmoovC's Photo Album

SmoovC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
All I know is that he was advised there is a legal liability risk. I guess it is a question of risk/reward. the risk that one will get sued vs the reward that you will make a sale (or not loose a sale) if customer can switch it off.

My personal opinion is that people who drive at highway speeds without adequate distance between them and the car in front on them should be thrown in a vat of boiling oil. I see this frequently, and it is a major problem IMO.
I was just expressing that I think his answer is kind of a cop out; whether it be on his part, or Hyundai's.

I absolutely agree about following distances on the freeway; the first place to look when braking at highway speeds is in the rear view mirror to see if the idiot behind you is paying attention and/or following too close to leave adequate stopping distance.
2000 Dodge Dakota C/C R/T: Flame Red 5.9L, 1 of 800 Produced, 20" R/T Replica Wheels, Belltech Lowered, Flowmaster Exhaust
Old 12-10-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I was just expressing that I think his answer is kind of a cop out; whether it be on his part, or Hyundai's.
I am not sure what you mean by cop-out or why it is a cop-out. It is safety vs marketing decision. I am sure that the HMA CEO gets legal advice about these matters from Hyundai lawyers and that they told him there is a legal liability issue since it could be a safety issue. Someone is bound to forget whether it is on or off at some point (just think about how many times people hit the gas instead of brake pedal by mistake), and it only takes a very few driver mistakes to cause a big liability issue, and then a marketing issue, and potentially a very expensive recall.

Now if all automakers allowed it be disabled, then at that point the legal liability risk is obviously somewhat lower. Also, these kinds of systems are made by suppliers who build them for a lot of different auto manufacturers and they are usually not built in-house, so it is possible that the Hyundai supplier is the one who won't allow it to be disabled for legal liability reasons.

If you say that Infiniti allows it be disabled, then one can only assume that they see the risk/reward a little differently, and they do expect that they would gain additional sales (or at least not loose sales) if customers are allowed to disable it, and therefore even if they get sued it will pay off in the long run. But I don't really know.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate
View StangKiller's Photo Album

StangKiller is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waki View Post
Does anyone know any way to turn OFF the radar spacing feature on the cruise control and have a normal cruise control ? HELP !
Not 100% sure here but pretty sure that I have used the cruise control without the radar spacing feature - just set to a certain speed. Anybody else?
Old 12-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View CanukV6's Photo Album

CanukV6 is on a distinguished road

At least in my 2012 you cannot disable the cruise radar-distance feature, but I really wish you could. If a car changes lanes in front of me when it is in use, I don't neccessarily want my car to jam the brakes on. Also in slushy weather the sensors get plugged far too easily which disables the Cruise Control feature completely - a real PITA if you have many highway miles to cover.

I don't buy the liability issue as there are a number of similar systems in use by other manufacturers that allow the distance control to be switched on or off (Mercedes-Benz & BMW for example). All that is required is a warning light or message that tells the driver when the distance feature is disabled. I have no problem if the default setting is to have the distance control engaged, so that I have to switch it off myself, but it should be available. This is no different than having a switch allowing you to turn off the ESC or Lane Departure Warning or Auto-Hold or Headlights or Wipers.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Drives a Hyundai In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View Kevinc5a's Photo Album

Kevinc5a is on a distinguished road

Quote:

No, he's saying that Hyundai lawyers are smarter than Infiniti lawyers.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Supporting Member
View EXBMWGUY's Photo Album

EXBMWGUY is on a distinguished road

+1

Old 12-10-2012, 03:13 PM

Remove this ad
Here is an excerpt of the conversation between Think Tank members and John Krafcik (CEO of Hyundai Motors America) during a Live Chat on August 29, 2012:

Jorge: Adaptive Cruise is very handy
Krafcik: Adaptive cruise...yes...a great feature we will be spreading [to other Hyundai models]
JCDurgin:
Adaptive [cruise control] that can be run without adaptive also
Krafcik: I hear you Jeff. Some liability concerns with that though.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate
View StangKiller's Photo Album

StangKiller is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukV6 View Post
At least in my 2012 you cannot disable the cruise radar-distance feature, but I really wish you could. If a car changes lanes in front of me when it is in use, I don't neccessarily want my car to jam the brakes on. Also in slushy weather the sensors get plugged far too easily which disables the Cruise Control feature completely - a real PITA if you have many highway miles to cover.

I don't buy the liability issue as there are a number of similar systems in use by other manufacturers that allow the distance control to be switched on or off (Mercedes-Benz & BMW for example). All that is required is a warning light or message that tells the driver when the distance feature is disabled. I have no problem if the default setting is to have the distance control engaged, so that I have to switch it off myself, but it should be available. This is no different than having a switch allowing you to turn off the ESC or Lane Departure Warning or Auto-Hold or Headlights or Wipers.
Weird as I drive a 2012 as well. I think if you are far enough back of the next car, you can set it to stay at a certain speed and it will do so until you get too close, based on your radar settings... Then you can switch lanes or it will automatically reduce your speed to match the car in front of you.