Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Forums - 3.8 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 R-Spec V8 > General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion Forum for discussions regarding the Hyundai Genesis Sedan that don't fit specifically anywhere else.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: Keyless Entry Fob

Old 09-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Advocate225's Photo Album

Advocate225 is on a distinguished road
Default Keyless Entry Fob

Remove this ad
I have a 2009 Genesis that is now 38 months old. For about the last 10 weeks my keless entry won't let me open the doors first time I want to use the car each day. I need tro open the fob and use the key. Once in the car the fob will start the engine without any problem.

Each time I then use the car throghout the day the keyless entry allows me to open the doors without any problem. But the next day, the routine starts all over again.

I was at the service shop for two dealers to ask if I need to replace batteries in teh fob but both told me "no" since the fob wouldn't be working if the batteries were dead. I left the car for five days with one dealer but was told that the fob worked every morning for them (I am starting to question if they ever really tried the fob).

Anybody having a similar problem?

Old 09-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Supporting Member
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View darrell's Photo Album

darrell is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Keyless Entry Fob

After 3 + years of use a weak battery could certainly be the cause.
Do you have the same issue with the second or spare FOB?

Carrying a cell phone in close proximity of the key fob may also cause RF interferance
resulting in the issue you are having.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:39 AM
View CanukV6's Photo Album

CanukV6 is on a distinguished road

I would change the battery in the fob and see if that makes a difference. Do you have a second fob? Does it work OK? Another thing to try is inserting the fob into the slot above the gear selector. Some posts I've read here suggest that this helps the fob "connect" with the car security system. Not sure if that's true but its worth a try.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:42 AM

The same pattern holds with either of my two fobs. ididn't know that cells interfere as I often carry my i-phone in the same pocket. But it only happens the first time in the day so if it was the phone, wouldn't that happen each time I went to enter the car?

Thanks for your comment.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukV6 View Post
I would change the battery in the fob and see if that makes a difference. Do you have a second fob? Does it work OK? Another thing to try is inserting the fob into the slot above the gear selector. Some posts I've read here suggest that this helps the fob "connect" with the car security system. Not sure if that's true but its worth a try.
It's the same with either fob. Sometimes I do put the fob into the dashboard since, when I first purchased the car, the dealer told me that is a way to keep the charge up in the fob.

Thanks for your comment.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Drives a Hyundai Equus Signature
View Richard Ft. Lauderdale's Photo Album

Richard Ft. Lauderdale is on a distinguished road

Pretty sure you can't charge the battery in the key fob. I replaced the battery in both of them probably a year or so ago.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Supporting Member
View darrell's Photo Album

darrell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advocate225 View Post
The same pattern holds with either of my two fobs. ididn't know that cells interfere as I often carry my i-phone in the same pocket. But it only happens the first time in the day so if it was the phone, wouldn't that happen each time I went to enter the car?
Thanks for your comment.
Simple enough to test! Separate the FOB and cell and let us know if the issue still exist.
You did say the dealer was not able to recreate the problem.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Drives a Hyundai 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View waveman's Photo Album

waveman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I was at the service shop for two dealers to ask if I need to replace batteries in teh fob but both told me "no" since the fob wouldn't be working if the batteries were dead. I left the car for five days with one dealer but was told that the fob worked every morning for them (I am starting to question if they ever really tried the fob).
There's a gradation between "full charge" and "dead." If the batteries are weak but still have some charge, the fob could still work close to the car or inside it. If you have a meter, check the voltage. If not, just replace one of the batteries to see if that helps. They're not expensive. If that doesn't work, go back to the dealer.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:10 PM
View Southern Boy's Photo Album

Southern Boy is on a distinguished road

After reading through this thread I was wondering if the car is parked in the same place every morning.

If it is there might is a RF signal in the area of where the car is parked affecting the RF signal emitted by the fob. If you can try parking the car at another location and see if the problem still exist.

If you know someone who operates a ham or CB radio, they may have a meter that measures RF signal. See if you can borrow a meter and check for stray RF signals in the area of where the car is parked.

The signal might be intermittent, because of equipment transmitting the stray signal being turn off later in the day.

If I didnít find any other explanation I would suspect interference with the Fob RF signal as being the reason for the problems.
Chrome pillars, Chrome door trim
Wings hood & trunk, Wings wheel caps
TSW Sentterton Chrome 18X8 40mm offset Wheels
General G- Max AS03 225/50ZR18 Tires Nitrogen fill
Southern Life Philosophy:
Faster Cars, Younger Women, Older Whiskey and More Money!
Old 09-08-2012, 05:50 PM
View Gurkha's Photo Album

Gurkha is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sometimes I do put the fob into the dashboard since, when I first purchased the car, the dealer told me that is a way to keep the charge up in the fob. Thanks for your comment.
That claim is totally false. I don't know where some salespeople get their info from. It's not the first time I hear this, even seen it on a youtube vid.
That slot only allows you to start the car if the battery is dead in the key fob.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:59 PM
View crepen's Photo Album

crepen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to crepen

Interesting - I have a 2009 V6 which does the same thing, only it seems it only does not work IN THE MORNING!!

First thing in AM, need to take key out of pocket and hold very close, or even use mechanical key to open door. Sometimes START required keyfob in dash.

NO problem in afternoon, even if car is left for 2 days (so it is not just time off).

One keyfob has stopped working remotely, even after changing the battery.

I'll be asking dealer soon . . .
Backlit scuff plates, LED lighting inside and out, trunk liner, silver brake housings, Weathertech Digitalfit floorliner, Omega steering wheel cover
ECB Rotors, Hawk HPS pads
K&N Air Filter
Summer: Bremmerkraft BR05 19" wheels w\ 245/45R19 Conti DSW
Winter: OEM 18" with 235/50R18 Hankook I*cept evo
Old 09-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View OneFunGenesis's Photo Album

OneFunGenesis is on a distinguished road

Okay, I did't want to read this thread but I had to. I had the same thing happen to me (re: two weird issues) and the dealer is replacing my fob under warranty. Just go have it replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staz View Post
Thanks for all your responses regarding the RHF Antenna that I discovered under my Genny. Turns out my car was installed with teletrac at the dealership, and this is just the tracking antenna that the police use to locate the vehicle (kind of like Lo-Jack).
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFunGenesis View Post
I would take it off, hook it up to a small battery and FedEx that bitch around the world
Old 09-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View joedoe's Photo Album

joedoe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have a 2009 Genesis that is now 38 months old. For about the last 10 weeks my keless entry won't let me open the doors first time I want to use the car each day. I need tro open the fob and use the key. Once in the car the fob will start the engine without any problem.

Each time I then use the car throghout the day the keyless entry allows me to open the doors without any problem. But the next day, the routine starts all over again.

Anybody having a similar problem?
I have the same story but with one fob only. Second one works flawlessly.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:17 PM

Remove this ad
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFunGenesis View Post
Okay, I did't want to read this thread but I had to. I had the same thing happen to me (re: two weird issues) and the dealer is replacing my fob under warranty. Just go have it replaced.
I sent an email to the General Manager, Mike Strenge, at MacCafferty Hyundai in Langhorne PA, and within the hour he had the service department call me to make an appointment to program a new set of key fobs covered by warranty.

After 38 months with my Genesis I have to state that this car puts my eight Cadillacs and two Lincolns to shame. I love it more now that they day of my purchase.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Drives a Hyundai Equus Signature
View sandy's Photo Album

sandy is on a distinguished road

My son has an "09 and had exactly the problem you describe. He changed the battery (obtained at auto zone) and the problem was solved.
65 Jaguar XKE 4.2
64 Jacobsen Chief 1000