Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

DIRECT LINKS: Genesis Sedan / Genesis Coupe / Dealer Reviews / Invite a friend!

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Forums - 3.8 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 R-Spec V8 > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Audio, Bluetooth, GPS and Electronics Technology
Hyundai Genesis Forum / Magazine Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

Hyundai Genesis Sedan Audio, Bluetooth, GPS and Electronics Technology Discussions regarding satellite/stereo and electrical systems including GPS navigation and bluetooth.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: GPS Update

Old 11-27-2012, 11:44 PM
Supporting Member
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Vince2's Photo Album

Vince2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: GPS Update

Remove this ad
Thanks for the effort Quantum...I'll ask my dealer about the cost/availabilty of the upgrade and if I'm quoted a similar outrageous price then I'll also complain to hyundai.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:44 AM
Been here awhile...
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View QuantumRift's Photo Album

QuantumRift is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to QuantumRift

Well, if you have a prem/tech package (the NON-touch screen NAV unit) be prepared for the sticker shock. LoL.

2012 Genesis 3.8L V6, 333 HP
Pearl White, Cashmere interior
Premium & Tech packages
K&N Air Filter
Rebadged
Xpel headlight protection
NAV-TV VIM kit
LED conversion of courtesy, glove box, trunk, and license plate lights
Old 11-28-2012, 01:43 AM
Getting familiar with the group...
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View binarypulsar's Photo Album

binarypulsar is on a distinguished road

I was told by a service tech that the latest nav upgrade ( 12-BE-002 DIS NAVIGATION SYSTEM MAP UPDATE PURCHASE AND INSTALLATION PROCEDURE) adds the "auto phonebook downloading" feature to the 2010 Genesis tech package . You can now download phonebook contacts.

Has anyone with a 2010 Genesis with tech package upgraded their nav system and tested the auto phonebook downloading feature?
Old 11-28-2012, 09:24 AM
Been here awhile...
View bmbutler's Photo Album

bmbutler is on a distinguished road

Don't bother to complain to Hyundai about the price. I complained about having to pay for it period since I have a 2012 still under full warranty. Got exactly no where.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:43 PM
Been here awhile...

I generally do NOT take NO for the first answer. I bet somebody at FOXNEWS or some such organization MIGHT be interested in this and finding a solution from Hyundai. $300 is just exorbitant.

Premium & Tech packages
K&N Air Filter
Rebadged
NAV-TV VIM kit
Old 11-28-2012, 11:42 PM
Been here awhile...

Apparently NOT any more with the $400! IF Ford does it, so can Hyundai...

"Ford to upgrade, extend warranty on touch-screen system

By Nichola Groom

Published November 28, 2012

Reuters

LOS ANGELES – Ford Motor Co will upgrade and extend the warranty by two years on its MyFord Touch system following a series of consumer complaints and poor reviews of the No. 2 U.S. automaker's touch-screen entertainment and navigation system.

Ford has improved the voice recognition capability and navigation in what it calls "version 3.5" of the software, Mark Fields, Ford's head of the Americas, said on Wednesday. Ford will offer the first wave of updates to some users on December 10.

"We're thinking more and more like not only a car company, but a technology company," Fields said during a roundtable with reporters during the Los Angeles Auto Show. "It's very important to update the vehicles on a more frequent basis particularly around software and applications."

Prospective car buyers highly value features like Bluetooth or the ability to stream music from their smart phones, analysts said. But so far, many automakers have struggled to create systems that are effective and intuitive.

In March, Ford upgraded MyFord Touch to address complaints about its slow speed and complexity, but even the update got poor marks from Consumer Reports magazine.

Ford said the latest version of MyFord Touch, which is in production now, can better recognize natural speech and features a more simple Bluetooth pairing process.

Ford is also extending the warranty on the system in its Ford brand vehicles to five years with unlimited miles, up from three years and 36,000 miles.

The software on Lincoln vehicles will now be covered for six years with unlimited miles, up from four years and 50,000 miles.

Ford will offer the latest upgrade to drivers without navigation next month. Vehicle owners with navigation will receive updates in January. Owners of hybrids, plug-in hybrids and electric vehicles will be issued updates sometime during the first quarter, Ford spokesman Alan Hall said.

Vehicle owners can request USB drives from Ford with the updated software, download the software onto their own USB drives or go to their local dealer, Hall said.

'REAL TIME' RESPONSE

These moves show Ford is "committed to making sure that we are continuing to listen to customers and continuing to act more and more real time like software companies do," Fields said.

The automaker launched its Sync in-vehicle communications and entertainment system, which was jointly developed with Microsoft Corp , in 2007. The Sync software underpins MyFord Touch, which Ford launched in 2010.

Some 45 percent of car buyers said navigation systems that help drivers avoid traffic are very important to their purchase decisions, while 35 percent of drivers said the same of a car's ability to respond to voice commands, according to a survey by IBM to be released soon.

About 30 percent said entertainment systems were very important, particularly buyers between the ages 18 and 29.

Still, efforts by Ford, General Motors Co and other automakers have been widely panned.

Ford fell short of its quality goals partly because of glitches in MyFord Touch last year. As a result, top executives, including Chief Executive Alan Mulally, received smaller cash bonuses for 2011.

The automaker also tumbled in Consumer Reports magazine's annual survey of reliability last month.

Last week, Consumer Reports called GM's new CUE system for its Cadillac lineup, "convoluted and frustrating." GM said this week it was tackling the problem by educating dealers and new drivers about its systems.

(Reporting by Nichola Groom; additional reporting by Deepa Seetharaman in Detroit; editing by Matthew Lewis and Andrew Hay)

Read more: http://www.foxbusiness.com/technolog...#ixzz2DZzf0R1A

http://www.foxbusiness.com/technolog...screen-system/

Hyundai needs to step up to the plate as well. Since I am a Consumer Reports subscriber I will complain to THEM as well about the Genesis NAV issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdk View Post
I have heard that Ford sends a USB to customers who own the Raptor. Sounds easy and you don't even need to visit the dealer.....BUT.......Ford charges you $400 for the USB containing the NAV update that you have to upload yourself.

Just for perspective....

Premium & Tech packages
K&N Air Filter
Rebadged
NAV-TV VIM kit
Old 12-03-2012, 11:07 AM
View gator749's Photo Album

gator749 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
If anyone with a 2012 Genesis with the Premium package (touchscreen GPS) performs this update, please report back and describe what changes it brings to the GPS system. I wonder if it only displays the speed limit, or if it actually uses it to calculate the route. As long as the setting for street speed limit and highway speed limit are gone, then it would be safe to assume that it uses the speed limit data.
I've done the update and it doesn't display speed limit. It still has the stone-age screen that asks for speeds on three types of roads and uses that to calculate wildly inaccurate trip time estimates. It does have somewhat different graphics and boots up with a list of recent destinations on the map screen.

As a bonus, it wipes out all presets and for a time would not load my phone's contact list. The last issue has now self-corrected. The cost, including shipping and an upcharge for the required flash drive is $125 and it took me about 3 hours to install including calls to MapnSoft. However, I was able to do other things for most of the 3 hours while it loaded.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Been here awhile...

So what does it update to make it worth $125 instead of just going and buying a new GPS for much less than $125 with lifetime maps?
Old 12-03-2012, 01:54 PM
View kman's Photo Album

kman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator749 View Post
I've done the update and it doesn't display speed limit. It still has the stone-age screen that asks for speeds on three types of roads and uses that to calculate wildly inaccurate trip time estimates. It does have somewhat different graphics and boots up with a list of recent destinations on the map screen.

As a bonus, it wipes out all presets and for a time would not load my phone's contact list. The last issue has now self-corrected. The cost, including shipping and an upcharge for the required flash drive is $125 and it took me about 3 hours to install including calls to MapnSoft. However, I was able to do other things for most of the 3 hours while it loaded.
Thanks for taking the time to make this update. I will probably wait or if I really need to, buy a portable GPS with better routing. The only thing that could have convinced me to pay for it would be the speed limit display and routing based on the speed limit. Shame Hyundai can't get this right (not just them, other car companies too from what I hear), I had higher expectations of them.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Been here awhile...

I didn't get it either. I have a Garmin from 2011 that does a better job and I will use it or my own cell phone if I need a GPS.

My primary gripe is still the fact that I would have to pay for upgrade and am still under brand new warranty. Things like this is why I personally predict Hyundai will not make it in luxury market long term. These customer service issues go back into the 1990's (I know - I was an owner) and they have never fixed them. Hyundai - you have these customer service issues and you want to compete with Lexus? PLEASE. My co-worker has a Lexus (used) and I couldn't believe the way the dealer treats him.