Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Forums - 3.8 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 R-Spec V8 > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

Hyundai Genesis Sedan Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics Discussions regarding satellite/stereo and electrical systems including GPS navigation and bluetooth.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: GPS Update

Old 12-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View pilotdane's Photo Album

pilotdane is on a distinguished road
Default Re: GPS Update

Remove this ad
Wow! That is a scary situation. We are all so accustomed to shoving in a disc or downloading and installing software that it is hard to comprehend why something can be so difficult or that it can go so wrong.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:07 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View QuantumRift's Photo Album

QuantumRift is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to QuantumRift

Yea, I don't have the touch screen. I can only assume that any data has to be entered into the unit via the "Knobbus Kabbobus" (that's my technical term for the silver control knob).

Yea, "Mike" did say that some had problems with the upgrade and he was getting complaints from the upgraders that failed....small world.

2012 Genesis 3.8L V6, 333 HP
Pearl White, Cashmere interior
Premium & Tech packages
K&N Air Filter
Rebadged
Xpel headlight protection
Lumenics 5150K foglamp and high beams
NAV-TV VIM kit
LED conversion of courtesy, glove box, trunk, and license plate lights
Old 12-13-2012, 11:14 PM

If it ganked in the middle of the OS upgrade, yea, I expect the head unit would have to be fixed (i.e. replaced).

Have you ever had a Windows upgrade take a dump? Similar thing. The data on the drive (I believe this unit has a hard drive, correct?) somehow got corrupted and essentially 'bricked' it. Now, is it truly a $3100 problem, no, because they'll swap it out with a good unit, take the 'bricked' unit, and fix the software on it. And then they have another $3100 unit to sell or charge somebody else for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicJE View Post
Unfortunately I am one of those victims who messed up my navigation when upgrading it. Their upgrade pretty much is not stable when upgrading and WILL have you lose any wording on the buttons, and information where it stores your device ID. This is why they don't want to sell it solely to users and rather have them have the dealer install it.

What I find ridiculous is, when you upgrade you shouldn't have to worry about it going blank and such and it SHOULD have upgraded properly in the first place. Now they are blaming me for losing my device ID, etc.
Now I am in a battle of getting this fixed under warranty as my dealer is trying to charge me $3,100 for a whole new head unit. My head unit is NOT messed up, only the navigation is. Why on earth should I need a new head unit over this? Is the software that poor where there is no way to retrieve your device ID if something like this goes wrong?

Now I am still stuck with no navigation one week later and waiting to hear back from consumer affairs as they CAN'T retrieve my device ID neither.
In my opinion, if you can get it cheaper, fine but I would not recommend installing yourself as it will just be a BIG headache if something fails.

I purchased the touch screen one from map n soft for $100 dollars and in the end is costing me $3,100 dollars. (until I get this investigation completed from consumer affairs and regional office).

Premium & Tech packages
K&N Air Filter
Rebadged
NAV-TV VIM kit
Old 12-18-2012, 12:47 PM
View gator749's Photo Album

gator749 is on a distinguished road

I just updated a Garmin Aviation GPS with new software and data. It has a database and functionality far more complicated than the Genesis GPS. It took five minutes and worked perfectly as it does every time I update. My update of the Genesis took a couple of hours and a long phone call with MapnSoft before completion. Then, my phone contact list didn't appear for several days and mysteriously reappeared.

I purchased a new Dodge Durango a few months ago with a Garmin GPS that works perfectly and is far more accurate than the Genesis. Perhaps Hyundai should stop enraging otherwise loyal customers and switch to Garmin.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:15 PM

Yea, I'm still waiting for my $75 coupon from Hyundai. Mike did say it would be after 1 JAN, though. It would be nice if the durned care just had Garmin as part of the NAV unit, for sure.

5 min GPS update? I've never seen any Garmin I had (to include my Dad's golf course garmin) to take 5 minutes. ALL have taken 1 or more hours to load (depending on internet connection speed). The NUVI 1300 LMT I have took over 2 hrs, and I have a 16GB chip installed in it.....oh well.

I fully plan on 1) purchasing the update from my Hyundai parts dealer 2) using the $75 coupon and that GAS card they are sending me) 3) hooking the battery up to a 12v charger and 4) doing it myself.

Yea, HYUNDAI, take a HINT.

Premium & Tech packages
K&N Air Filter
Rebadged
NAV-TV VIM kit
Old 12-27-2012, 08:09 PM
View myquelp's Photo Album

myquelp is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: GPS Update

I just installed the latest Nav update on my 2011 Genesis. I was very disappointed to find that the maps are 1-2 years out of date. My Co-Pilot Navigation system on my android phone has much more current data. I understand from Mapnsoft that they use NavTeq as does Co-Pilot but the Mapnsoft is obviously not using the latest NavTeq data. Co-pilot releases updates every quarter or so while Mapnsoft only releases updates 1 / year.
So now I'm stuck using my phone to find streets, addresses and POIs that aren't available on my Genesis Navigation system. How do we pressure Mapnsoft and/or Hyundai to make their mapping process more user friendly?
Old 12-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
View timc1475's Photo Album

timc1475 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to timc1475

I feel for all my fellow Genesis owners on the Navi software as well as updates.
I just received a call from my local dealer today Mike Miller Hyundai in Peoria IL. that the V5 update would cost me $200.00 and about 3 hours. Although updates to newer streets and newer mapping is important to me, even more important to me is that my 2012 Hyundai Sedan fully loaded R-Spec's navi does not allow me to input with the DIS in this order State to City to Street. This is a real headache to those of us that know.

My current software only allows State to Street bypassing the City altogether with the DIS. So...say for example if I need to go a main street in a nearby City the system pulls up over a hundred possibilities to which no one would have time to go through them all and is very frustrating! BUT if the software allowed the CITY input before the Street as it should be programmed (and is for most of competitions), then it would naturally narrow down the potential Main street possibilities to one or two and one could then navigate to where you need to go. Retrospectively Hyundai KNOWS this is an issue because the 2013 model year Genesis have this navi issue corrected as per my local salesman.

So please everyone when you contact TPTB about the exorbitant cost of the "update" you also copy and paste the issue listed in this post so they are more aware to correct this navi issue for all of us 2012 and previous model year Genesis owners, because we are the majority of their sales base as well as potential future buyers of their product. I love my 2012 Hyundai but honestly the navi in my 2006 Toyota Prius was 100 times better! Whoever is managing the decision making at Hyundai for this Navi software should be fired ASAP due to negligence and the new person in charge should out source navi software out to the same company that their competitors are using to at least be on par with them, because it is obvious their current 3rd party is not doing their job...

Until then there is a workaround that one can do although you should not have to I list below:

1) Push the voice button and no it makes no difference what mode your currently in like radio or USB or CD etc.

2) Say exactly "Enter City" when prompted to.

3) Follow the voice software to enter your destination.

4) At the final screen is where it becomes tricky. You will see grayed out options to choose from. And if you choose the wrong one you will be kicked out and have to start all over again which is frustrating. So do not say enter or push down on the DIS button at this point.

5) Like above you will see the options grayed out and one of them will be to verbally say "Start Route Guidance", this is exactly what you must say to begin the route guidance.

Hope this helps,
Tim

Old 12-31-2012, 11:33 AM
View gator749's Photo Album

gator749 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumRift View Post
5 min GPS update? I've never seen any Garmin I had (to include my Dad's golf course garmin) to take 5 minutes. ALL have taken 1 or more hours to load (depending on internet connection speed). The NUVI 1300 LMT I have took over 2 hrs, and I have a 16GB chip installed in it.....oh well.
The Garmin GPS receivers with the 5 minute data updates were the GNS430W and the GPS396. I have a Nuvi that takes a bit longer, about 20 minutes as I recall. My wife's garmin GPS golf watch took about 20 minutes recently. I use a Comcast cable internet service that runs at about 15-20 mbs. More importantly, the updates are automatic and foolproof once initiated. It can be done, but apparently not by Mapnsoft.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:59 PM
View gameday22's Photo Album

gameday22 is on a distinguished road

Last year when I had my Navi updated they took it for the day and put me in a loaner Genesis, called me at 515pm and told me that the update failed and it had to be started over again and to keep the loaner until the next day....no biggy I thought to myself.

I could not have been more wrong, apparently whoever they had working on my car stuck it in a corner on the back lot while the disc's were loading and forgot about it when they went home. They left everything on the car running including the headlights and AC. Somewhere overnight the car ran completely out of gas and the battery continued to power the car until it also died. Thankfully my service tech was honest about what had happened, they wound up replacing the fuel pump, battery and gave the car an oil change (with what I normally use in it) or I would have been even more upset then I already was. Needless to say the map update was at no charge.

The update is nothing short of retarded, and being on multiple disc's makes it very prone to failure. I understand this is a way for them to make $$ but $300/yr. is crazy considering a top end Garmin / TomTom with lifetime updates can be purchased for < $150 (and those update 4 times a year). Hopefully next year when I trade my Genny in the 2014's have a better system in place for doing the updates.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View bruceb's Photo Album

bruceb is on a distinguished road

I have a 2009 4.6 with the tech package.

Dealer posted a notice for Nav upgrades on 10/1/12. I called on 10/2 and got an appointment for a few days after.

They kept the car all day. Then told me they did not have the media.

Two weeks later, gave me a new appointment. Day prior to appointment - they called to say they could not get the activation code. Cancelled appointment.

One month later - new appointment. Have media. Have code. They kept it for two days. Then called me to say the install failed and they must replace the entire head unit. Hyundai said it would cost me $4,000. Service fella said he did not expect I would accept that [Lessee - I give them functioning car and they break it. Ummm...no.]. Eventually they sent a new one with no charge.

Five more days and they complete the upgrade. I negotiate the price down from $100 to $50.

I take it home and test it. Data date = 2011. System works OK until I issue any voice command. Then it mostly locks up. The map moves as I drive, but most manual and all voice functions do not work.

I call dealer. He says he has not heard of this problem. Of course, he knows nothing about these systems. I decide to wait a month before considering returning, hoping Hyundai will see more such failures and find a fix.

I called the dealer last week and ask if Hyundai has an update to the update, or at least a fix for my failure. Still waiting for an answer....

This is just the latest problem with this dealer. I have not been impressed with the quality of their service technicians or writers. Good thing it's a reliable car.

All that said, the Tech Package is just a minor part of the car. Convenient, but minor. Still a very comfortable, responsive, fast vehicle.

No I would not pay $300 for annual updates. But then, I wouldn't update yearly. The street data doesn't change that quickly. In my case, as far as I know, for a 2009, this is the first update they have released.

I looked at a Youtube video about the upgrade, which showed someone using a specific device connected to the USB port to enter a code. If so, it ain't simply a matter of pushing cds into the slot.

Here's a direction from another Youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AxcTIHpYvo
Enter the S/W update menu by simultaneously pressing the DISC/AUX, BACK, NAVI/MENU buttons while pressing the VOL KNOB. This menu is used to update Navi/Entertainment System. Please note the lack of Hardware ID information under "SW Update" category. Any advice?
Old 01-07-2013, 07:39 PM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Vince2's Photo Album

Vince2 is on a distinguished road

Works worse after the upgrade! I ask any of you "premium" car owners if this sounds even remotely like your previous "premium car" owner experience? Was the service from the "premium" dealer as poor as bruceb's? Of course I like the car but the buggy electronics (if you haven't read the forums then I mean reduced travel auto steering column, No audio issue, Nav freezing, ridiculous GPS upgrade cost, NO Bluetooth audio streaming) are a real buzz kill. Lets say Hyundai gets on the ball and irons out these issues...just may be too late for my next car. I want a car that works well and works well consistently. If the problems experienced by the relative few owners on this forum represents the overall experience then the car will get killed in user reviews (already gets a poor grade for electronics in Consumer Reports) and Hyundai will certainly suffer due to these issues.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:37 PM
View gameday22's Photo Album

gameday22 is on a distinguished road

Information provided by Garmin / Navteq:

In the last year alone, the Map Change Viewer documented over 1.5 million significant changes, including:

678,392 Updated Miles of Roads

Thatís the equivalent of driving across the country over 200 times. These updates represent everything from highways and byways, to country roads and city streets. An updated road could be the street you live on, or the expressway you take to work. Either way, youíll be armed with the latest information regarding the roads in and around your area.

135,098 New Points of Interest

If youíre looking for the newest late-night hotspot, the cheapest gas prices or where to get cash, the latest updates have you covered. Thatís because the points of interest added include restaurants, gas stations, ATMs and more. In fact, the added points of interest are so specific that you can even search restaurants by type of cuisine. Whether youíre in the mood for Mexican or Italian, French or Chinese, itís all at your fingertips.

713,530 Updated Points of Interest

Thereís nothing more frustrating than wasting both time and gas looking for an address that doesnít exist. And in this economy, businesses open and close every day. The latest maps give you the most up-to-date info, including address changes, so youíre not left driving in circles.

Want to see more? Check out the NAVTEQ Map Change Viewer. This useful online navigation tool shows how much has changed on the map in your county relative to the surrounding counties in your metropolitan area. Youíll see where major changes occurred based on updated miles of roads and points of interest.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:47 AM
View 12Genny's Photo Album

12Genny is on a distinguished road

I sent Hyundai customer care a very concerned e-mail yesterday. I have a 2012 sedan with Technology pkg. When my car was delivered the maps were almost 2 yrs old and to bring them up to date will cost about $300, this is totally unacceptable! In the past 6 yrs I have purchased a 2007 Sonata Limited, a 2011 Sonata Limited 2.0, and now the Genesis. Loyalty works both ways, I'm afraid Hyundai has not only lost a loyal customer, but more importantly a community salesman.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:55 AM
View 12Genny's Photo Album

12Genny is on a distinguished road

Remove this ad
UPDATE: Hyundai sent me a fed-ex box today with License plate cover, pen set, file organizer, pen light, and a couple of other small items. The value of these items probably would have covered the cost of the map update.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:20 PM

I am still waiting for my $75 COUPON. And the "DEBIT CARD" for the mileage problem.

Harumph.

Premium & Tech packages
K&N Air Filter
Rebadged
NAV-TV VIM kit