Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Forums - 3.8 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 R-Spec V8 > General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion Forum for discussions regarding the Hyundai Genesis Sedan that don't fit specifically anywhere else.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: Cabin Air Filter

Old 06-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Drives a Hyundai Equus Signature
View NOLa's Photo Album

NOLa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cabin Air Filter

Remove this ad

Old 06-02-2011, 11:47 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View tonygxp's Photo Album

tonygxp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodell22 View Post
Impossible to remove the two little plastic pieces on side of glove box P7-24 that says just pull down and towards inside of glove box.

Many people on the web have had similar problems and only the dealers have a service bulletin telling them how to remove. This in my opinion is a major design fault and this should be easy for the Customer to inspect and to change themselves.

Does anyone know any tricks that they have been shown from their dealers how to remove these idiot plastics to get at the filter? Please advise. Thanks.

that's your 1 post? you should type in larger letters, i can't read that small.

'11 Black on Black 4.6
Old 06-03-2011, 12:09 AM
View homeofstone's Photo Album

homeofstone is on a distinguished road

Don't let the glove box open all the way down so, hold it just off the stops and follow the instuctions in the owner's manual, its easy then.
2005 Mercedes E500 w/sport pkg.
2013 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD
1965 Ford Mustang 289cid V8 restored
Old 06-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Drives a Hyundai 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View dond13's Photo Album

dond13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy71 View Post
I just cleaed my cabin air filter and not one post has the correct information for dropping the glove box so that you can access the panel that the air filter is behind. I promise that the information below is accurate and correct.

1. Locate the arm holding the glove box on the left side of the box. Using a small screwdriver and a flashlight pry the arm out of the donut hole holding it in place. It will pop out using gentle force.

2. The clips inside the box are actually rubber stoppers to quiet the box when it is opened. They are not attached to any arms. They are difficult to remove the first time. Here goes.....

3. After removing the arm from the hole on the left side of the glove box, you must close the box slightly to remove the inside clips. Grab the rear underside of the clip with your index finger nail and pull from the side wall toward the center of the glove box. As it starts to give, slide the clip forward and continue to gently pull toward the center of the glove box. It will feel like the plastic will break, but don''t worry. Remember as it begins to pull away from the side you must slide it forward slightly as you continue to pull. Repeat for the other side.

If you break the clip, as I did, do not worry. One clip is good enough to keep the glove box from making any noise when it drops open. If a part of the plastic piece does break, you can still reinstall it. These two clips inside the glove box are "over engineered" for their purpose. Once removed you will see what I mean.

I hope this helps all my fellow Hyundai Genesis owners.
Yeah, you are right. the arm was keeping mine from going down and I figured I had to get it out somehow but was leery of prying too strong. After reading your post, the whole process is simple. After getting mine our, I find that it isn't dirty hardly at all. Just turned it upside down and tapped it a few times and some grass blades and a couple of bugs came out. I will order a new one and replace it after about 6 months anyway. Thanks a lot.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:56 PM
Drives a Hyundai 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View dond13's Photo Album

dond13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeofstone View Post
Don't let the glove box open all the way down so, hold it just off the stops and follow the instuctions in the owner's manual, its easy then.
Unless they improved the owners manual from 2009 or you have a special owners manual, that is not right. First, the owners manual doesn't say ANYTHING about the arm that keeps the glove box from fully going down far enough.

Second, it just says remove the clips. Duh. You have to slide your fingernail underneath the back of the clip (the end closest to you) and pull the back of the clip in toward the center of the glove box while sliding the clip back toward yourself AND having the glove box about halfway UP. After you know that, it is simple, but it evidently is not, considering the MANY posts here saying that they had problems with it. Some even broke the clip trying to force it. Maybe you are a genius but I guess most of us aren't.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:50 PM
View homeofstone's Photo Album

homeofstone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dond13 View Post
Unless they improved the owners manual from 2009 or you have a special owners manual, that is not right. First, the owners manual doesn't say ANYTHING about the arm that keeps the glove box from fully going down far enough.

Second, it just says remove the clips. Duh. You have to slide your fingernail underneath the back of the clip (the end closest to you) and pull the back of the clip in toward the center of the glove box while sliding the clip back toward yourself AND having the glove box about halfway UP. After you know that, it is simple, but it evidently is not, considering the MANY posts here saying that they had problems with it. Some even broke the clip trying to force it. Maybe you are a genius but I guess most of us aren't.
Just trying to help. The arm does not need to be removed just the clips/stops. To clear things up, the glove box stops on rubber stops that are actually part of the other side of the clips. They are hard to remove because the box weight is on them. When you lift the box slightly off the stops/clips they are easy to remove and the box can then travel far enough down to change the filter without removing the arm. BTW I did not post anyting about removing the arm. You are correct in that the owners manual is not clear at all on the proceedure for changing the cabin filter.
2005 Mercedes E500 w/sport pkg.
2013 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD
1965 Ford Mustang 289cid V8 restored
Old 07-30-2011, 04:00 PM
View shyam45's Photo Album

shyam45 is on a distinguished road

I just replaced my Genesis 2010 Cabin Filter. Following the directions from Speedy71, it was two minutes job.
Thanks Speedy71.

1. Open the Globe Box and hold it with your knees a bit higher.
2. Put your index fingure at the back of the clip and pull the clip towords the center of globe box (jiggle a little and it comes right off). Do same with the other side.
3. Pry the nut on the left side of the globe box to release the Bar.
4. After the glove box drops, holding four tabs with your finger (two each side of the filter cover) press them and the cover will come off.
5. Pull the filter out and replace.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View gray devil's Photo Album

gray devil is on a distinguished road
Default Cabin Air Filter for 2012

I was looking into purchasing some cabin air filters for my 2012 but could not find the part #. Most websites were showing the 2011 filter did not fit the 2012. So once I got the plastic clips out and removed the air filter, the part # on it was 97133-#3M000, the same as the previous models.

I hope this post saves someone some time trying to figure out the proper part # for their 2012.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:29 AM
View nykerk11's Photo Album

nykerk11 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyam45 View Post
I just replaced my Genesis 2010 Cabin Filter. Following the directions from Speedy71, it was two minutes job.
Thanks Speedy71.

1. Open the Globe Box and hold it with your knees a bit higher.
2. Put your index figure at the back of the clip and pull the clip towords the center of globe box (jiggle a little and it comes right off). Do same with the other side.
3. Pry the nut on the left side of the globe box to release the Bar.
4. After the glove box drops, holding four tabs with your finger (two each side of the filter cover) press them and the cover will come off.
5. Pull the filter out and replace.
Just replaced the cabin air filter.

A few additions to the instructions above.

The black clips are quite stiff. I lifted them up from the front first to loosen a little, then went to the back and they lifted up much easier. To make it easy to remove, you need to almost close the box to where it touches your arms.

Also, make sure to put the new filter in with the black arrow pointing up and the white flap is on the bottom. When you put the cover back on, make sure to lift the flap up with your index fingers.

To replace the black clips, you must close the box to a point where the opening appears to the left of the larger square (Get a flashlight). Once you see the opening, slide the part with the rubber pointed tip (looks like an antenna) facing up through the larger hole, place it flat against the inside of the box, and then pull down. Repeat for the right side.

Don't forget to replace the silver wheel back to the arm on the left side.

That's it. A 2-minute job to complete.

'11 Elantra Limited - Blue Sky Metallic/Tan - Surf racks - 3M non-metallic tint

'08 Veracruz Limited - Natural Khaki Metallic/Beige - 3M non-metallic tint
Old 01-06-2012, 11:17 AM
View rtburgess1's Photo Album

rtburgess1 is on a distinguished road

Isn't the cabin air filter flow direction downwards (ie towards the footwell)?
Old 01-06-2012, 11:23 AM
View nykerk11's Photo Album

nykerk11 is on a distinguished road

No. Upward toward the vents...

'11 Elantra Limited - Blue Sky Metallic/Tan - Surf racks - 3M non-metallic tint

'08 Veracruz Limited - Natural Khaki Metallic/Beige - 3M non-metallic tint
Old 01-06-2012, 12:37 PM
View rtburgess1's Photo Album

rtburgess1 is on a distinguished road

I was pretty sure the filter air flow direction is down towards the footwell. 3 Huyndai Genesis dealers just confirmed that.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:57 PM
View TimeOut's Photo Album

TimeOut is on a distinguished road

Has any of you guys installed an aftermarket cabin filter?

I'm thinking about buying a active carbon cabin filter for the genesis but, there isn't an OEM one. I found that Fram makes a FreshBreeze Cabin Air Filter for the Genesis. Fram Part Number CF10735. Has anyone installed one of these?
Old 03-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View fazerG8R's Photo Album

fazerG8R is on a distinguished road

Remove this ad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
I checked youtube for a demo on removing the glove box clips and found this (it's for an Elantra but the clips are the same as on the Genesis). Amazing how easy once you know the "trick".

But I'm not sure what the trick is to emoving the old filter????

YouTube- ‪Hyundai Elantra 2009 HD Cabin Filter Replacement - Right clip‬‎
If you watch this clip and the "clips" still leave you frustrated, take it to the dealer. I watched this then tried both my 09 Santa Fe and 12 Genesis Sedan. They're identical and I'd guess all Hyundai's are the same. Simple!
Old 03-05-2012, 05:28 PM
View shyam45's Photo Album

shyam45 is on a distinguished road

yes, I have installed replacement Fram Cabin Air Filter for Genesis 2010.

Check the directions on this site. It's very easy to replace it (Max. 5 minutes).