Hyundai Genesis Forum

Hyundai Genesis Forum (http://genesisowners.com/hyundai-genesis-forum/index.php)
-   Wheels, Tires, Detailing and Appearance Modifications (http://genesisowners.com/hyundai-genesis-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Is Liquid Glass wax? (http://genesisowners.com/hyundai-genesis-forum/showthread.php?t=4672)

QQ007 03-05-2010 06:32 PM

Is Liquid Glass wax?

I have heard a lot of good thing about Liquid Glass Polish

Bought one can today but the can says it has no wax!

So, is it wax or not. Or is it a wax substitute that I just use it as if it is wax.

Is Liquid Glass permanent once it is on the car? Or will it wear off over time just like wax.

Thanks in advance for your valuable responses.

ctrcbob 03-05-2010 07:15 PM

Re: Is Liquid Glass wax?

It is a Polish. Very good polish.

QQ007 03-05-2010 11:35 PM

By defintion, a polish does not protect my paint, right?

So, I have to wax my car after using Liquid Glass to polish my car, right?

Thanks.

Mark_888 03-05-2010 11:41 PM

I would be a careful. I don't know about this particular product, but normally a polish used on a car paint finish is designed to remove the very top layer of paint that has oxidized or otherwise been scratched or damaged (not suitable for cars with the paint in new or very good condition). But like I said, I am not familiar with this particular product.

FIAT 03-06-2010 09:27 PM

Go here for all your detailing questions it is agreat site with lots of info.
http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-finish-care/

ctrcbob 03-06-2010 09:51 PM

Although I never used it myself, my cousin always uses it. He has an old car that shines like it just came off the showroom floor yesterday. He swears by it.

(I myself use ICE Polish by Turtle Wax).

scottdk 03-07-2010 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctrcbob (Post 42544)

(I myself use ICE Polish by Turtle Wax).

I love the ICE by Turtle Wax. Geez, because of their ICE wax, I wax my car 1 to 2 times per month because it's so damn easy to apply and buff. I use the ICE spray detailer in between waxes:D

QQ007 03-07-2010 11:30 AM

Found the answer of my question in the FAQs section of Liquid Glass.

Q. If I use Liquid Glass Polish/Finish, will I need to apply a wax over it?

A. No. A wax product will not add luster or improve protection. For additional luster and protection simply apply additional coats of Liquid Glass Polish/Finish. The more coats applied, the deeper and richer the gloss. The protection will also improve. For example, many coats have been known to increase the resistance to stone chips.

I will use Liquid Glass on my wife's 6 year old MDX first and report back the result.

TJPark01 03-07-2010 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QQ007 (Post 42466)
By defintion, a polish does not protect my paint, right?

So, I have to wax my car after using Liquid Glass to polish my car, right?

Thanks.

Yes, you will need to use a wax after a polish. There are products that call themselves polish/waxes. They are a combo product, they don't polish as well as a pure polish and they don't last as long as a pure wax. Jack of all trades master of nothing.
A polish by definition is used to remove surface contamination, and create shine. A wax is a protective layer used to keep that shine. Polish is usually categorized into 3 subsections depending on their cutting ability (abrasiveness).
1. Almost no cutting ability (what you should be using).
2. Medium Cut to remove light surface scratches.
3. Heavy (also called compounds used for oxidation and neglected finishes).

QQ007 03-07-2010 02:09 PM

Thanks TJPark01 and everyone else for your advices.

Based on some info on Liquid Glass site, looks like Liquid Glass is not a typical "Polish".

Found this info on their FAQs section as well:

A. No. A wax product will not add luster or improve protection. For additional luster and protection simply apply additional coats of Liquid Glass Polish/Finish. The more coats applied, the deeper and richer the gloss. The protection will also improve. For example, many coats have been known to increase the resistance to stone chips.

TJPark01 03-07-2010 02:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQ007 (Post 42585)
Thanks TJPark01 and everyone else for your advices.

Based on some info on Liquid Glass site, looks like Liquid Glass is not a typical "Polish".

Found this info on their FAQs section as well:

What it says and what it does are going to be two different things. A polish and a wax are two different things. If you really want to do this correctly, without getting too crazy like me (I have issues, see pic).
1. Wash car by hand.
2. Clay bar the car.
3. Polish.
4. Wax.
5. Beer (repeat as necessary while staring at car, or until yelled at by spouse).

GripperDon 03-07-2010 02:58 PM

Polishes remove top layers (if you don't over apply in quaintly or pressure) Too much can remove a portion of the clear coat. The small amount of protectorant in the mix does not provide protection equivalent to that in a wax. ( the stuff on the can and the advertising is just that advertising. The cars surface will benefit from a wax over coat. (As posted by TJPark01 and others) The wax may not make it look more shiny but will add a layer that protects the under-layer from oxidation and pitting. Coloniates, Insulator wax is one suggestion of a very long lasting wax originally developed for electrical insulators to eliminate arc over and last a very long time in continuous exposure to sunlight and weather conditions..

ImInPA 03-08-2010 09:46 AM

I can speak first hand about Liquid Glass. In a word, it is an excellent product, albeit a bit pricey. The protection is additive, unlike most other products. You must allow 4 hours of curing time between coats, however, the product does work as advertised IMHO. It has been around a long time and for good reason. Even my dealer has commented on the depth of the paint on my car. Can't say enough good things about Liquid Glass and would recommend it to any one seeking a great product.

QQ007 03-09-2010 09:35 PM

Here is the result of Liquid Glass on my 6-year-old MDX.

I have no experience with other polish/wax, so I cannot tell if it is better or worse. But I can tell you the result of Liquid Glass on my MDX is impressive!!

I think I can finish swiping on and off Liquid Glass on my entire MDX within one hour. However it took me two hours to complete. Reason? I found myself each time when I finished a section of my car, I just stopped and stared at it for awhile to admire the shininess of it before moving on to the next section.

Now I will find time to do the same on my Genesis. I.e. Clay bar it then put two coats of Liquid Glass on it. Canít wait.:D

flyboy2 03-17-2010 04:40 PM

I put Liquid Glass on my car this weekend and give it a "Flyboy Thumbs Up". I love the way the residue wipes off with no dust. Car looks better then on the showroom floor. Whoever recommended it to the site. Thanks. It's now going on my SC 430. A bit pricey but I love it.